Cameras...UGH And some Audio...

Well as many of your know our display didn't get put all the way up last year due to vandals. This year we will be putting in security cameras. I hate that this happens to a bunch of us but that's for another thread.

I'm preparing some last minute audio to send over to my voice guy and I thought I'd share what I put together for the display audio disclaimers. Excuse the ALL CAPS however that's how he prefers to receive the script.

This comes out of "You're a Mean One Mister Grinch".

ANNOUNCER: NO GRINCH

Truth be told: That sounds VERY Grinchy. I would instead opt for a couple of small but conspicuous signs telling people that cameras are in use.

IMHO, the voice over accuses everyone of being a vandal and thief. A sign or 2 may be noticed by visitors but quickly forgotten.

Bonus: Signs are up 24 hours a day while your voiceovers are only on during the show. Even if you scheduled your voiceover during your show's down times, do you think the vandals are going to tune in before trashing your display?

As this year is bigger and more complex than ever, so is security. First let me say it is helpful that I live on a long straight busy street. The front yard can be seen from several blocks.

Second. I outline the perimiter of the yard with rope light, about 2 1/2 feet off the ground, about 10 feet back from the sidewalk. You have to step over it to get into the display. From this rope light I hang the "Video Surveilance" "Danger High Voltage" and "Keep Out" signs.

Third I have several motion sensor flood lights mounted thoughout the yard. They are off durning the hours of the show, but on any other time. Plus when the flood lights come on, so do a couple of strobes. BRIGHT WHITE STROBES that will have everybody looking that direction.

And last, the 4 camera security camera, which probably will have people waving as they steal stuff, but at least I will have their picture.

It's too bad this is the way it has to be done, but it is the way it has to be done.

And if they get caught and end up in court, the waving will add more insult and injury to THEM.

What camera system manufacturer did you go with? I'd like to get some for my yard for use full time. When motion is detected, can you set your recorder to come on? How about emailing some snapshots of the activity to you?

Thanks!

-Rob H.

I have 4 color cams attached to a PC that is dedicated to recording their images. While the cameras are powered on all the time, the recording can be set to only record when motion is detected.

You can even tell it to ignore certain areas when they move. For example, if there is a tree branch that sways in the wind, you can tell it to not consider that "motion".

While all of my cams have IR for night vision, only two of them take good quality night shots. They have bigger/more LEDs and better CCDs than the other two (and they cost more.)

Finally, depending on the DVR software, you might be able to configure it to send you pics but most of them allow remote viewing via the Internet.

Last year, I had two 9x12 signs that simply said "security surviellance in use" and they were very discretely placed in the yard so that you wouldn't see them unless you were up to no good.

I do have to agree that anyone who is going to candalize your stuff probably isn't going to have thier radio on and won't do it during the show anyways

I agree with Richard and others.

In fact, its more of a bluff / deterrent than anything else.

You want to deter ... and a brief sign or two should do the trick.

Using real and/or fake cameras can be an effective deterrent and

also let you know whats going on while inside or away.

Can anyone provide an economical source for the 'smile your on camera' and

'high voltage' signs ? I need these myself.

Thx,

Scott

I agree with Richard and others.

In fact, its more of a bluff / deterrent than anything else.

You want to deter ... and a brief sign or two should do the trick.

Using real and/or fake cameras can be an effective deterrent and

also let you know whats going on while inside or away.

Can anyone provide an economical source for the 'smile your on camera' and

'high voltage' signs ? I need these myself.

Thx,

Scott

eBay is your friend and mine too!

I'm looking at using Q-See system. I've been checking them out a tiger direct and have a store within driving distance.

That's what I have. I would recommend spending a little more to get good cameras. The first two I got are OK during the daylight hours but suk at night (although they do perform acceptably if used inside). The two new ones have excellent range even in complete darkness.

I'd tell you what models they are but I have no idea. :confused:

Edit: These are the good ones:

http://www.amazon.com/Q-See-QSC48030-Resolution-Weatherproof-Camera/dp/B000R4HDTU/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1223340175&sr=8-1

Edited by ChuckHutchings

Is this what you guys are using?

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=USB-DVR4-BP&cat=VID

I was looking at that but I have found mixed reviews. Apparently the system is very particular with what video card you are using. Q-See has a lot of "cheap" stuff but this seems to be the cheapest.

Is this what you guys are using?

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=USB-DVR4-BP&cat=VID

I was looking at that but I have found mixed reviews. Apparently the system is very particular with what video card you are using. Q-See has a lot of "cheap" stuff but this seems to be the cheapest.

No - that's not what I have. I have a card in the PC to accept 4 camera inputs. Not sure who made it. I'll check later.

I've been told by other members that these b&w cameras are very good for the money. They are especially good in low light. Black and white is always better than color for night time use. They also have interchangable lenses, so you can go wide or narrow angled ... or even adjustable zoom.

I have a $260 panasonic IP network camera thats good, and color ... but its weakness is the lack of really good low-light recording ... so if I had to do it over again, I would have done at least 2 of these instead ... and then used a standalone DVR with it.

I'm less certain what the best option for DVR (recoders) would be. Here are some options, ranging from $47 to $400 ...

And this is a very budget-priced PC based DVR card ...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16881104003

Standalone 4 camera mac daddy using J-2000
http://cgi.ebay.com/SAMSUNG-4-CH-J-2000-DVR-SECURITY-DIGITAL-VIDEO-RECORDER_W0QQitemZ290046128396QQihZ019QQcategoryZ88755QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

Edited by Chuck Smith

I actually did the same thing last year and just added 2 more cameras this year. I got mine from Q-See (www.q-see.com)

Here's the specs: (by the way it uses infrared to see in the dark and also has audio as well)

Weatherproof (indoor/outdoor use)

420 TV lines resolution

3.6mm Lens

1/4" Sony CCD image sensor

12 Infrared LEDs

30 ft. night vision

60 ft. of cable included for flexible installation (cable can extend to longer distance)

I patch mine into separate vcr's and record all the action at night.

Chris

• 4 months later...

This has been one of the most informative threads about security cameras in the past year. Now I need to get some cameras in place rather quickly. I'm leaning towards Q-See products but I still have a question or two.

It sounds like the QSC48030 CCD Night Vision Camera is the prevailing favorite for good night time images. The QS2350C camera sounds similar but has a heater. Has anyone in the colder states experienced the need for a heater? One Amazon reviewer felt that their non heated camera got foggy when it was cold. Apparently the addition of a heater does require 120VAC to the camera instead of using a power supply.

I

I ran the Q-See QSC48030 this winter as well as a good dome off eBay. Both worked and we had temps at -28.

As for a DVR I used the Q-see model this winter and just recently purchased a GeoVisoin GV-800. The Q-See model worked well but the GeoVision is a higher end model with a ton more features.