Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
sniggle

Who's started on their displays?

Last week I officially started working on my christmas display. I bought 2 cases of lights from Lowes and am going to buy some from Wal-mart this weekend. These will be to add 2 more arches and 2 more mini trees. Later this month I wil begin construction of my first mega tree. I am planning on a 12' tall tree.

I am also animating parts of my display for the first time this year. I have some songs picked out and now I have to get very busy programing.

I'll post up pictures as we get going.

Scott

This year is my first animated display. I started on the last Monday of September by putting up C-9 lights on my roof. It took me 2 hours a day for six straight days to get them all up (all 1000' feet of them).

post-7605-129571069864_thumb.jpg

post-7605-129571069874_thumb.jpg

post-7605-129571069879_thumb.jpg

I had planned to start Oct 4th , But ended up starting Sep 20th , I can't ever wait:D, so far I have the Lights on my House done and about 15 of 70 Trees wrapped, So much to do, so little time:eek:

I can't stomach putting lights up this early -- I'm still hanging on to summer :) I have been ramping up my preparations though. I updated a sequence with my new channels the other day, and have been working on some projects in earnest the last few weeks. The lights will start going up around Halloween, with the "obvious" stuff waiting until mid-November.

-Tim

markrvp your lights look great! I hope to see vids of them when your up and running.

We have our halloween display up right now so no Christmas lights are out yet. The weekend after Halloween is when we put up our roof lights, run electrical, and anything requiring a ladder. The rest starts going up the saturday morning after Thanksgiving. This year we were smart enough(finally) to start taking out and testing our existing lights now. We were caught off gard last year on set-up to find many issues.

This Sunday is when I plug in my LOR boxes for the first time and get started programing. I can't wait! :cool:

Hubby got laid off today, so not sure how much we'll do or when. :(

Bare minimum, I need to him to spend about $50 to hardwire me another set of outdoor plugs on it's own GFCI. Have everything except the coax wire (or whatever its called).

I bought all the lights needed for my projects long ago, but need to spend about $10 for nuts and bolts to attach my coroplast to the house trim.

I will definately start the week of Thanksgiving. I can't wait!!!

And someone gave me a 7 foot prelit christmas tree for FREE today! WOOHOO

It's in my living room all set up and driving my hubby nuts right now! (but, honey, it's not THAT far away! BWAHAHAHAHA!!!)

Last week I officially started working on my christmas display. I bought 2 cases of lights from Lowes and am going to buy some from Wal-mart this weekend. These will be to add 2 more arches and 2 more mini trees. Later this month I wil begin construction of my first mega tree. I am planning on a 12' tall tree.

I am also animating parts of my display for the first time this year. I have some songs picked out and now I have to get very busy programing.

I'll post up pictures as we get going.

Scott

Uhm, I started on mine Jan 3 2008. The lights get hung on the hooks the week before thanksgiving and turn on Thanksgiving Evening.

If your just getting started now, better light a fire and get moving!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL

Hi Jeff,

Your not kidding! I gotta get moving. As much as I wish I could dedicate more time to my display I just don't have the time. Too many hobboes I guess, LOL.

With 320+ Channels I can see why you started on Jan 3rd! Wow! Got any pictures?

I have all my lights tested and repaired and the metal fab shop just started on my 24 foot 3D tree. The only thing left for now is to finish the sequencing.

I started last January buying lights at after christmas sales and started sequencing. Will start putting up christmas as soon as halloween comes down the day after halloween.

I'm new to the site and forums. I started my christmas stuff when tag sales

start. I've bought several things throughout the summer but my biggest start was within the last 2 weeks. Bought two truck loads of Blow molds to add to my 2 acres of various types of decoration. Tested all my stuff and now doing touch ups so I can start my putting up the decorations day after Halloween. Takes me about a month to complete. My kids call me the crazy lady of christmas.

Hi Terri,

Welcome to Planet Christmas and the forums.

I would say that most of us here have been called crazy for our Christmas displays! You will fit in just perfectly. :D If you have any pictures of your 2 truckloads of blow molds, post them in the blow mold forum because we all love to see people get themselves new molds. I (And many other Christmas fanatics) would love to see what 2 acres of decorations look like. Please post some pictures when you have your display finished.

To stay on topic, I haven't actually started my display, but I am planning it out. That counts, right? LOL

-Jim