My light display might end up in Marty's Back Yard

Good stuff Richard. I think this block of trees will really be fun! Especially how amazing you wrap your trees. I'm sure the MAWF building will come alive with your creativity next year too....the architecture and curves has your name written all over it! :-)

Glad things are working out....and I'm not the only one who is in the time crunch of getting a display done this year! HAHA

Can't wait to see it man!

Richard,

Can't wait to see what a masterpiece you will create this year! Your work has been such an inspiration to me and countless others. Thank you so much for sharing in past years the talent you have been given.

Tim in KY

P.S. Come to PLUS 2009 I want to shake your hand and say thanks in person!

I am a newbie - I have never even seen a "real" music display in person. I fell in love watching all this on line and will be having a 32 channel show this year. I have stole almost all my ideas from Richard, even built his Bethlehem star!

Anyway, I will end up in Salt Lake for Thanksgiving, I definately had planned a trip to RichardH's house - will be at your folks house now! Hope all is going well, hope to meet you when I'm there...

Richard, so many people are used to going to your old location. Are you planning on some sort of advertising or a sign in front of your nieghborhood to tell people where to see the new display?

I think its a "if you build it, they will come" situation

Richard, so many people are used to going to your old location. Are you planning on some sort of advertising or a sign in front of your nieghborhood to tell people where to see the new display?

I do plan on making a sign with the new location.

-Richard

Richard,

Can't wait to see what a masterpiece you will create this year! Your work has been such an inspiration to me and countless others. Thank you so much for sharing in past years the talent you have been given.

Tim in KY

P.S. Come to PLUS 2009 I want to shake your hand and say thanks in person!

This year is mostly going to be just trees. We have been wrapping trees non-stop the last 5 days. There is nothing really new in the display but everything has just been adapted for the new location. I have an idea for next year though!

I don't think I will be attending the 2009 Plus but I will be to the one in California in 2010!

-Richard

I only bought 3 more controllers so I have a total of 14 controllers now for 224 channels.

I think people over emphasize need for power availability. My house has a maximum of 150 amps service and I have an enourmously bright display. I run my heater, dryer, 2 fridges, and other things and it only slightly warms the breakers and panels when the show is running. My neighbor purchased and I purchased $15,000 in LED lights the 3 years and we are very comfortable now to the point we can put multiple 16 channel control boxes together on 20 amp breakers and not trip anything, however our channel placements are carefully balanced so that for changing colors for example, things are organized so when one controller is mostly off, the other is on, etc.

We had our day where breakers were popping every 15 minutes, extension cords in the windows to every near window outlet in bedrooms, etc. The transition to LED's has so many benefits. Except for our array of 100 watt flood lights, the flashing of our display no longer flickers flourescent bulbs inside the house, when the flood lights are on, we do get a slight flicker when they become active but its nothing like in past years.

I made the move this year to approximately 50% of my display in my yard is LED lights and we are using about 50 amps max at any time. The neighbor has a nearly 90% conversion to LED's and they are doing much better, however they have very large number of inflatables and not much we can do with those except put candelabra compact flourescent bulbs in them instead of incandescents.

What a nice glow CFL have in inflatables. The lighting is richer and more even, we save a net of about 1/2 to 1 amp per inflatable because there are 5 to 10 each 25 watt bulbs in these each that can be converted to CFL 9 watt bulbs.