Neighbor Security Cameras

Why do kids and neighbors have to be idiots? Just a few people always ruin it for everyone else. Why would neighbors want to destroy a great display? Could you put up any small fencing or trip wires around your yard? This way if people try to leave fast and you have a couple trip wires or a fence it will be harder for them to et away. I dont have any problems here, we have 1.49999 acres and the farthest inflatable is about 250 feet from the house with other lights and nothing is ever done to anything.

Along with the three $11.99 motion sensor lights I am putting up, I wired in those cheap little disco strobes. When the motion sensor get set off, the flood lights come on but also the strobes flash. Maybe they will think it's a camera flash or maybe they will just run becaue with a bunch of flashing strobes coming on it's pretty obvious they just set something off.

I have a cheap set of camers and a DVR card also. Not great, but not bad. Less than $200. It records until the hard drive is full on 4 channels and time stamps it.

I purchased two like Chuck's at the the link below. They were $120, then a week later they jumped to $159. Now they are $115. You can get the camera and DVR card for about $175. From what I can tell they work good. I don't have anything else to compare them to however.

My only comments so far is get educated on what each of the specifications means before you purchase one. There are a many different models for many different setups.

http://www.amazon.com/Q-See-QSC48030-Resolution-Weatherproof-Camera/dp/B000R4HDTU/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1222649488&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Q-See-QSPDVR04-Channel-Digital-Recorder/dp/B00069ECUY/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1224730716&sr=1-5

Why not ask the neighbors who have a problem with your display to tell you what exactly they don't like. It could be as simple as shortening the hours or dimming a section. If they hate Christmas it may not be as simple to solve. Im my experience the people damaging the display are doing it because the parents are talking about it, appease the parents, stop the kids.

Brian

what brand security system is that you got for $200 ??

This is the one I got. They ship from US and got them in 4 days. Says color but works better in B/W. I'ts not extreme high quality but it works pretty good. The longest I have is about 70' from one corner of my house to the corner of the street

http://www.asianwolf.com/cctv-packages-eb812dvr.html

JUST MAKE SURE THAT YOU FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS TO THE TEE. The only trouble I had was I installed it before reading directions and had to go back and uninstall everything and reinstal per the instruction. It's one page two sides.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I got the Q-See QSU2DVR42C 4 Chan USB2.0 DVR Adapter w/ 2 Cameras and paid around 130.00 for it.

Needless to say you pay for what you get.... I would not advise anyone to buy this.

Camera works on and off and the quality is rather poor.

I guess, rule of thumb, if you need security system then you best save up and buy a commercial product.

i going to try some old and by old they are Magnavox cameras that are only B\W we had 4 of them at work that never got thrown away ans still happened to have a small 4 chan monitor that they hook into there is a video out coax and a video return/in coax according to one of the guys that works with me and has been there for almost 15 years there used to be 10 of the monitors and 40 cams there were 4 big tape machines that had tapes in them about 3x the size of a vhs so i had a choice of digging out a old vcr at home or tyring to use a tivo that had a failed hard drive well i can now record over 500 hours of video on the tivo just hope the pic is clear enough to see whats going on.

I agree with Tim. (Slaps self. :P) Since you have already been vandalized and threatened with more, you really need a couple of real cameras out there.

I wouldn't get the cheapest ones, though, since that's just wasting money. You can get a couple of good ones with decent night vision plus a DVR card for the PC for <$500. Probably <$400.

And if you catch the people doing it, it will pay for itself. (Tell them you'll drop the charges for $5000.)

Yes this is accurate...go on Ebay and see what you can find. If I can find the email from the vendor I used I will gladly share the contact info.

Other than during Ike we have been very pleased with our cameras...during Ike most things electrical took a few days to rest including the cameras...when we have instant backup via natural gas generator power the video cameras will always be on...but we had no looting during Ike so no cameras was no problem.

We have had vandals destroy two Christams display items in the past and someoneo took our and a neighbors Halloween stuff, presume it was stolen and resold on the side of the street nearby the very next day. Now we will catch the crooks and prosecute the fullest extent of the laws of Texas. Maybe get 'em detained as terrorists and sent to Gitmo.

My neighbor let me put a camera in his house, facing our house. The camera has the best nightshot I have ever seen. Not sure how useful it will be in identifying a perp, but hopefully just having a webcam on the website will make people think twice. Check it out for yourself:

www.lakeparklights.com/webcam.asp

Dave

My neighbor let me put a camera in his house, facing our house. The camera has the best nightshot I have ever seen. Not sure how useful it will be in identifying a perp, but hopefully just having a webcam on the website will make people think twice. Check it out for yourself:

Dave

Just remember to close your curtains at night. :-)

Great shot...advertise it as a deterent.

Thought I was going to be attacked in the driveway tonight while working on the display...then I realized it is a nice neighbor walking his dog...at least it would have been on video...

First set of lights out tonight...show compiling...all going well here...hope it is the same with everyone else also!!!

Dave

Dave, tell us about the camera and software. It seems to have a really good picture.

I have this camera, and its really good straight out of the box. Its 30fps at 640x480 color. It's pricey, but really good. The weakness? Its only 1 lux and as such, not so good unless you have some light.

panasonic wireless network camera

It comes with a single camera recorder software that is amazing. It also has a web interface and they set you up with free access to your camera on the web and even provide free DNS service for you.

This year, I decided to expand on my system and got this inexpensive DVR card.

It only does 30fps, but you can put up to four cards in a single PC and have each one doing 30fps (full motion). The software appears acceptable, but nothing great compared to the panasonic software.

I heard the Q-see cameras were no good, so I bought the best low light outdoor camera I could find. It is this one, and is an amazing .003 (yes, thats NOT a typo .003 lux). Here it is. Another member here reccomended its predecessor ... it can shoot in almost total darkness. It uses a BNC connector. Have to buy a Power Supply and extension (aka siamese vid+power) cord separately. It also takes difference lenses, so you can go anywhere from a a fisheye (wide angle) to a zoom lenses. They also have variable lenses, that are adjustable that fit it. And it is TINY (think lipstick).

I also have some black Xanboo 576 cameras, which are good, but only 1 lux & b/w. They do have audio which is nice and can be extended with regular Cat5 (open up camera, it takes a plug in RG45). I have a couple extras (never used) if anyone wants to buy one. The DVR card comes with 4 BNC to RCA convertors, so the RCA from the Xanboo can be used with the DVR card.

I will be trying these both with the single DVR card on a Athlon 2000+ computer (old computer) ... to see how they work.

Edited by taybrynn

I've yet to try this but I've seen it posted here with some great reviews.

Buy a motion detector and hook it to a floodlight(s). I've also heard of attaching a siren or other audiable noise. So when the little *&^%# get with in range you scare the stuffing out of them. It's one thing to cowardly vandalize under cover of darkness. Do they have the guts to do the same under a fully lit yard? Probably not.

You could probably do this for less than $50.

Lights might just be enough to scare them away and never return. Then budget a REAL camera system for a future season.

Scott

I got that low light camera ... the KT&C ... it is excellent quality and very small. It actually came with a mounting base, so I didn't need to buy one (but did for like $6).

I did try hooking it up to the Q-see card and it works great. I'll write more once I actually try recording and doing dual cameras into it. It is working on a older computer with no lag thus far.

It can see much better than the Xanboo or Panasonic in low light conditions.

I had thought of installing an X10 switch for the coach lights ... then I can trigger them on/off with the wireless X10 motion sensors than can be put virtually anywhere in the yard.

Scott

• 1 month later...

I've yet to try this but I've seen it posted here with some great reviews.

Buy a motion detector and hook it to a floodlight(s). I've also heard of attaching a siren or other audiable noise. So when the little *&^%# get with in range you scare the stuffing out of them. It's one thing to cowardly vandalize under cover of darkness. Do they have the guts to do the same under a fully lit yard? Probably not.

You could probably do this for less than $50.

Lights might just be enough to scare them away and never return. Then budget a REAL camera system for a future season.

Scott

I like Scott's idea of adding audiable noise tied to motion sensor w/ lights. Any recommendations on how to do that?

A few years ago, I had some unrepairable vandalism done to quite a few cut-outs. It caused me to remove the display after the second occurance. I caught them the second time, called the cops and their parents, probably should have pressed charges but they went to the same school as my daughter and I didn't want it to cause her problems.

Remember the scene in the first Home Alone movie, where the pizza delivery guy runs away after hearing something like "Get your filthy stinking no good for nothing carcuss out of here".....then the tommy gun goes off. Now that would be funny. Doubt I'd do that, well maybe. A voice saying "smile, you are now on video tape or exit now, high voltage present". Something like that would deter a lot of idiots (vandals).

So how do I tie audio to a motion detector?

Maybe all you need is to set up some hidden strobes and start playing "war" sound affects (bullets, bombs, etc.) If it doesn't scare the perp away, it will sure attact attention. Be sure to have the infared camera on to record it all (he he he.) Then we can have a contest to see who had the best facial reaction to surprise! ;) Maybe even some lasers turning on and off like rifle scopes? (he he he) Of course some bright flashes will kill their night vision.

Well... You could make do with all strobes going off at once and playing a camera sound like you took their picture... They wouldn't know what happened! :D

One advantage to the X-10 system is you can set up multiple motion sensors which can be programmed to turn on ALL the lights and start a camera and so on. Whereas, you would be rather limited with just a plain old motion light. Although, a couple hundred watts of light shining right on them might scare the away.

My wife's worse fear is that if we put too many lights up, our house might be "marked" to be robbed later in the year. Afterall, if we have money to light the house, we must have good stuff in the buildings. So security really needs to be year-round, especially for people with large displays. Luckily I would never qualify for that.

Our buildings are all wired to a security system but since we are out in the country, the sherriff might not get there right away. So the addition of good cameras might help identify the people - after the fact. But the more immediate way to help is double-locking the buildings. And having several dogs (including German Shepherds) really helps too.

My wife's worse fear is that if we put too many lights up, our house might be "marked" to be robbed later in the year. Afterall, if we have money to light the house, we must have good stuff in the buildings. So security really needs to be year-round, especially for people with large displays. Luckily I would never qualify for that.

I found this pretty funny but I guess in general you are right. I know of some around here though that the Christmas display IS the most expensive thing they own. You can get hundreds of boxes of mini lights after Christmas for just a fraction of a cost of a high def tv.