Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
sanman

well.......I just had my most embarrasing moment

I'm 16, and I don't like getting onto my aunt's ladder. I set their lights up ever year, and they have this rickety wooden ladder, and I'm freaked to get on it from the roof! But climbing down is ok. Then, I just go on my roof, run around sit on top of it, hang off a 25' drop off above my window...and I'm fine! I just don't like rickety ladders....I'm trying to convince the parents to get a good A-frame ladder, so I can easily climb on the roof!

Having been the victim of an extension ladder falling while trimming a tree branch with a chain saw (and breaking both wrists), I'd say spend the money and buy a good sturdy ladder! (In my case, the ladder wasn't extended far enough and the branch sprung back more than expected.) For 6 and 8 ft ladders, I recommend fiberglass ones rated at 300lbs. The same rating is preferred for aluminum extension ladders and you can buy a good Costco 17' adjustable ladder at Sam's Club for about $129. Buying a sturdy ladder is a good investment and a lot cheaper than a trip to the Emergency Room!

I love to be up on our ranch house's roof - great view! But I don't walk close to the edge - prefer to sit down to work. And I've used an extension ladder for years against large tree branches to put up lights in the tree.

Big Tip: Give any ladder a good shake before you stand on it to make sure the feet are planted securely and evenly. And to make sure the ladder won't slide sideways once you're up on it (like with my tree)! And work on and off a ladder when you're rested and take your time. (Don't work when you're tired or rushed).

Sanman!!!!

I just thought of something.

Did you ask them to put your lights up into the highest spots in your trees and on the roof?

If not you missed out on an awesome opportunity:p:p

Being in the fire department, I can guarantee you that you will be the story of the week. But don't feel bad, we laugh at way worse.

Obey Gravity! It's the law.

Glad your are safe.

This story actually helped me with my son. He's 8 and I've always had him come up on the roof with me. He *HATES* the transition between the ladder and the roof. I've always told him that it's normal but until this story I don't really think he beleived me.

So thank you for the educational material. chuckle.gif

If I feel the ladder is to wobby after hours on the roof i just goto the lowest portion and jump off. For me thats only about 7 feet lol got to love single story homes.

Better than falling!...I feel for ya!

I have a back deck off the second floor, so my drop is only about 8 feet from the back, but I would hate to go off the front of my house at 30' up!

At least you got down.......I'm still up on my roof. I've been up here for a week. Too embarrased to call the FD...had the wife bring up my laptop and throws me a banana and a bottle of water every couple of hours.

J/K

This is good to know. I thought I was the only one that gets strange feelings in my gut every time I have to come down. I mean...every time!

Glad we're all safe!

I think that you need to do a tribute to the Fire Department on your roof.

A truck or hat would be good.

Don't feel bad, I have the exact same weird fear of heights. I can go up the ladder no problem. Do everything I need to up on the roof. When it comes to getting back on the ladder to get down I just about freeze. I absolutely HATE it.

Darn and my neighbors are watching me set up 2 teirs of 8 ft high each scaffolding and on top of that I set up a plywood platform to put a 12 ft step ladder on top of to reach out putting icicle lights on tall palm tree fronds. I thought I was being a sissy for asking someone in the household to come out and hold the stepladder because the plywood is slightly warped and likes to rock back and forth while you are extended on the ladder. Placing me some like 25+ feet in the air and dealing with wasps nests stinging me in the hand at same time. Come on guys you got up the ladder, you should be able to get down it!

By the way... never look at the ground while you are high... its amazing but it works. When I go up the 12 ft step ladder which is setting on a scaffolding platform thats already aboout 15 ft in the air, I dont dare look down. If I keep my eyes up and at the palm tree leaf I need to decorate, you get the job done. When transistioning from the roof to ladder, try to avoid contact with teh ground, look specifically at the ladder and roof under your feet and avoid looking at things to shows how high you are. Fear of heights is a well instilled natural instinct in all humans that we cant avoid, so the best way avoid triggering that fear is to avoid seeing how high you are unless absolutely necessary.

Edited by Joseph Ayo