Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
sanman

well.......I just had my most embarrasing moment

It started off great...........put the ladder up on the house....climbed up the ladder...(you see where I am going with this?) Got on the roof,with my tool belt on with my staple gun and staples. I had my box of lights that I also brought up the ladder with me. Everything was going great,had the lights along the roof line. When I was ready to get off the roof,I approached the edge of the roof where the ladder is.

But before I went on the roof,I just had an uneasy feeling about going up there. And before that,the wife had sais something about doing something today which would had prevented me from going on the roof. As I got to the edge of the roof..I just froze. I mean all of a sudden I got scared. I started to shake a bit so i went back to the top and sat there.

I sat there for a few mins trying to get my composure back. I tried it again but I still could not do it. So I called the wife on my cell to come outside for a minute. I told her to hold the ladder for me so i could get down. But even that did not work. Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo,I told her to call the FD. When she called........she called the non-emergency number. When she called the dispatcher was laughing his butt off.

So,I sat there for about 5 mins when I heard the truck coming. I was expecting a pumper truck but Nooooooooooooooooooooooo They sent a ladder truck. What made it so embarrassing was that our new neighbors were having a party. The party got put on hold as they put there ladder up against the roof. As I was coming down,i heard one of the firefighters chuckling under his breath. So fow now,im restricted from the roof. so for the rest of the day,i went into hibernation mode.

Fear is there for a reason, listen to it. You did the right thing! But, yes, it's embarrasing.

When I was 9 months pregnant, I demanded hubby get into the attic and bring down ALL the Christmas stuff, cause hormonal me just HAD to have it, and I refused to wait.

On his last trip up to the attic, his back went out. He couldn't move. He couldn't go down the ladder. I was 9 mos pregnant and couldn't go up there to help him. He was so embarrassed when I had to call the fire department.

So we know how you feel.

How far did you get on the lights???

Fear is there for a reason, listen to it. You did the right thing! But, yes, it's embarrasing.

When I was 9 months pregnant, I demanded hubby get into the attic and bring down ALL the Christmas stuff, cause hormonal me just HAD to have it, and I refused to wait.

On his last trip up to the attic, his back went out. He couldn't move. He couldn't go down the ladder. I was 9 mos pregnant and couldn't go up there to help him. He was so embarrassed when I had to call the fire department.

So we know how you feel.

How far did you get on the lights???

I got the ridge line all done and the outline of the roof. As I was coming down,i had to lighten the mood...just call me tim the tool man. I think im going to be the talk of the dept. for a while.

Don't feel too bad. We lose our love of hights as we get older. Might have something to do with common sense.

As a kid I used to climb our giant Hickory tree every day. I've hiked the Inca trail, crossed rope bridges, high dived, etc.

A few years ago when I was an apprentice electrician I got selected to "Change the candles" on the water tower of a local bakery plant. That and the old tower at the corporate headquarters. The old tower was the globe type with the external ladder on top. The bolts had longsince rusted thru and the curved ladder swung freely.

I thought that they would have to airlift me Valium. I was glued to the top for about an hour before I finally had said enough prayers to slither down.

Opps... that *is* a little embarrassing. uhh.gif

As long as nobody was hurt and you don't have to pay for the FD coming out... it just seems like one of "those" moments... one that we've all had. blush.gif

So how are you going to finish the roof if you are scared of it?

I dont think im scared of it,i think that it was just one of those days.

Sanman,

I had a similar experience last year. While the wife was out running errands (problem #1), I decided it was time to get started. I brought out the universal ladder and set it up as an A-frame (problem #2) and climbed up onto the first story roof. When I was done, I started to climb down and noticed there was a lot more wobble in the ladder than I remembered when I was climbing up. Sitting there on the edge of the roof, I could just picture my wife coming home and finding me laid out on the ground. I had to wait about 15 minutes before a neighbor came home and I called him over to steady the ladder while I climbed down.

I've since started setting up the ladder as an "L" configuration, rotating the joint thats about 3/4 up the length. This allows me to set the short length on the roof and the long length to reach the ground. It gives me a slanted straight ladder that reaches over the rain gutter, and gives me a sturdy place on the roof to climb on & off the ladder. I don't know if this would help with your situation or not, but I thought I would share it with you.

You'll hate this.. I bowhunt this time of year up in a tree:p win blowin trees swayin I love it! I've even fallen asleep. Thats why I use a harness when I'm up there. I don't even use a ladder for my roof. I jump up on the Hottub, up on the shed, then right up on the roof. I love going up there when it's dark and stargaze I just feel a little bit closer..?I gess for every person comfortable with heights there has to be one not so comfortable... to bad it has to be you who has a hobby like this;) Sorry.

Don't feel bad, I have the exact same weird fear of heights. I can go up the ladder no problem. Do everything I need to up on the roof. When it comes to getting back on the ladder to get down I just about freeze. I absolutely HATE it.

When I was a young man I walked the high steel working construction and it never bothered me.

Now that I'm older and realize I'm not immortal I've had that exact same edge-of-the-roof-panic set in.

A fire department ladder beats a loud thud any day!

I'm 16, and I don't like getting onto my aunt's ladder. I set their lights up ever year, and they have this rickety wooden ladder, and I'm freaked to get on it from the roof! But climbing down is ok. Then, I just go on my roof, run around sit on top of it, hang off a 25' drop off above my window...and I'm fine! I just don't like rickety ladders....I'm trying to convince the parents to get a good A-frame ladder, so I can easily climb on the roof!

I have no fear of heights its that sudden stop that bothers me :eek: you just have to love gravity.

Edited by Lightupky

I get exactly the same way. I'm scared to death of heights, going up isn't so bad but soming down really exxagerates the feeling. The only thing I hate worse than heights is birds whic isn't always a good combination. One landed about 10 feet from me last year while hanging a star on the roof. I closed my eye and counted to 20 before looking to see that he had flown away.

Don't feel bad, I have the exact same weird fear of heights. I can go up the ladder no problem. Do everything I need to up on the roof. When it comes to getting back on the ladder to get down I just about freeze. I absolutely HATE it.

I do something like Gary Slater i hop on a wall then on a shed then on the first story roof and i can get all over the first story then there is a spot ware i can get on the second story from the first.

But back your thing, it may of been really embarrasing but that is what the fire department is for they are there so help/save you. It may of been embarrasing but atleast you get to live another day.

-Will

PS. did they actually put out the 100' ladder of the truck, and id they come with lights and sirens?

a good extension ladder is much better than a A-grame on any day :)

I'm trying to convince the parents to get a good A-frame ladder, so I can easily climb on the roof!

When I was a teenager, I used to jump off the roof, no need to use the ladder. Then one day someone convinced me that it was a stupid thing to do and I could get hurt. I

I can relate in someways, but in most ways I can relate to Gary's story more.

Ladders have been a weird thing for me, I just feel really unsafe on them. The only thing I feel comfortable on is a 6ft wooden A-frame ladder. Anything taller, or a non-A-frame, I just try to get on and off as soon as possible, and I will only go up as a last resort, ill try to find someone else to go up for me.

Now, I love heights, if the ladder is permanent/fixed, ill climb up forever. If we are talking solid structures, like in Gary's case, I'm just fine.

Anyway, glad you are safe. I really like to hear these kind of stories because it means that the one or two threads with someone saying they fell off the roof, may not show up this year!:D:D:D:D

--Daniel L

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo,I told her to call the FD. When she called........she called the non-emergency number. When she called the dispatcher was laughing his butt off.

As I was coming down,i heard one of the firefighters chuckling under his breath. So fow now,im restricted from the roof. so for the rest of the day,i went into hibernation mode.

I don't think they were laughing at you for being scared to get on the ladder. They were laughing at you because its the middle of October, and you were up on the roof hanging Christmas lights! The rest of the world doesn't understand a lot of the things that we consider "normal". I laugh at my neighbor because he doesn't put any lights up until the middle of December! Now thats funny!

Edited by kylec

I have a very steep roof that is not walkable even by the craziest of roofers. I decorate all of the eves and gables via ladders and a lift. It is a constant mental battle with fear, and it never was that way growing up. Even 20 years ago falling and its repercussions were not even an afterthought. I'm convinced it is not just a realization of mortality but an actual loss of balance as we age. I try to always have a helper holding the ladder or at least present when doing high work that way if there is an accident help can be summoned. A cell phone will do little good if your by yourself and unconscious.

I got tried of standard ladders, to scary. Bought a Little Giant just tall enough for my roof. My wife loves it and uses it all the time.

I fell safe now and all the other ladder combination's you can do with the ladder makes it a good buy.

One time I was putting up someone elses lights and I put the ladder in front of their garage. I was on the roof at the time and the home owner moved the ladder on me. I had to call my dad to move it back for me.

Another time I was working on my roof and almost slide down it. It would have been like a 30 foot drop but luckily I tied myself off to a tree in the backyard and that caught me. That was pretty scary

Other than that I don't mind ladders or heights, and hey I am a member of our fire department and we have a 110' ladder truck so maybe we will be called to get some one off the roof.