You've Been Booed!

Many people know about this. The last few years there has been a craze going on (at least in my area) called "The Phantom Ghost" or "You've Been BOO-ed". Basically you leave treats on somebody's door step with instructions to repeat the process to two other people. You then put a picture of a Ghost on your door so people know you have already "Been BOO-ed".

I have created a web site so it is very easy to print out a sheet with a Ghost and the Poem. It is located at

www.BeenBooed.com

I created it today because we were booed two days ago and the ghost was a pretty bad Xerox copy. I figured there was be a better way. I looked around on the internet but was not pleased with some of the sites I found so created one myself.

There are a few things I want to change and add but I wanted to hurry and get it up because Halloween is already so close. What was funny is that while I was working on this tonight, we were boo-ed again because I never bothered to put a ghost on the door from the first one. LOL.

Let me know what you think and what improvements could be added to the site.

-Richard

I've never heard of this, but it would probably go over pretty good in our neighborhood here, may have to start it later today

what kind of treat do you usually leave?

It can really be anything. Like I said, we have been booed twice this year (because I didn't put up a ghost fast enough!) and the first time it was a plate of cupcakes and the 2nd time it was an orange pumpkin full of apples. Tonight we are going out and we are leaving large bottles of apple juice (purchased from the store) with fall color ribbons tied on top.

We usually do store bought treats because my wife does not like to eat "stranger food" where you have no idea where it has been. When something home made shows up on our door, I will usually try it out and she might take a little nibble if it looks very presentable, but usually it ends up in the garbage.

I thought the apples in a pumpkin was a great idea.

In this day and age.....Just be careful who's doorstep you leave it on. :)

There was a case not too long ago that the police bomb squad got called to a residence with a paper bag on the front steps. Ended up being a friend returning a shirt to the daughter of the owner. Although I found out later there was a nasty divorce going on between the wife and husband and some threats were made, (why the police were called)

we'll were all set and getting really creative with this

since this hasn't gone on in our immediate neighborhood, were going to do it in grand style and start out by hitting up 6 houses. 4 of them have kids and they will be getting left over goodie bags from my daughters birthday party with some added candy. The single lady next door, who has neices who live somewhere about 1.5 blcoks away will get boo'ed with a small 4pack of wine. and the couple ot the other end of the street who are empty nesters with grandkids who live nearby are getting boo'ed with 2 cold beers. 1 of the homes we'll get is not too close so we can spread the fun around our subdivision.

The fun starts at about 7:15 tonight :):):)

We we just got back from doing 4 houses.

One of them is a 500' long drive way (Farm House). We knocked on the door and hid only 10 feet away from their door but out of sight. It was fun to hear them open the door and hear them say "Somebody Left Something Here!" and take it and go back inside. We then were walking back down the long drive way when a car turned and starting coming up and we hurry and ran back up and had to hide behind a large tree. He kept stopping and getting out of his truck to load something in from his Hay field so we had to wait a while for him to finally pass him so we could run back down.

Lots of fun.

We got "booed" a few years ago, twice. It was so much fun too. We received a pumpkin pail. It was filled with wrapped store bought popcorn balls and two really nice Halloween flashlights. The other one was a very large Halloween shopping bag, it had masks in it, candy, some toys..really nice.

I'm glad you brought this up, Richard, and your site is great! I plan to do some booing this year again!:)

Our whole neighborhood has ghosts on their doors (theres only 26 houses total) started October 1st by our friends up the street and by the time we got achance to go out and do it there were only 2 houses left. We ended up hitting a few friends in different neighborhoods that were pretty bare w/ ghosts and now there are quite a few. Booing is alot of fun and puts a smile on peoples faces....:D

Our whole neighborhood has ghosts on their doors (theres only 26 houses total) started October 1st by our friends up the street and by the time we got achance to go out and do it there were only 2 houses left. We ended up hitting a few friends in different neighborhoods that were pretty bare w/ ghosts and now there are quite a few. Booing is alot of fun and puts a smile on peoples faces....:D

Our neighborhood is getting pretty full also so a couple of them I did last night where on complete strangers doors that were in a different neighborhood. We try to find signs that they have children like toys in the yard, etc. One house had a few Halloween Kid drawings in the window.

we went and did 6 houses,

on one house, I looked out our back window and saw that they were still awake, so we walked around the corner and they were all sitting on the front porch, we decided to walk it over anyways.

at another, we dorve over (about 2 blocks) left it on the doormat, rang, and then I ran back and jumped in the car. The dad came out but didn't turn on the porch light. He must have stepped right over the bag as he walked out in the yard looking rather peturbed. I guess he saw out shadow in the car because he then headed towards us. I thought about driving away, but told him what the deal was and that Emily (my daughter) wanted to share the game with his kid, Ellie, but not to tell her who it was from.

the rest went smoothly

He must have stepped right over the bag as he walked out in the yard looking rather peturbed. I guess he saw out shadow in the car because he then headed towards us. I thought about driving away, but told him what the deal was and that Emily (my daughter) wanted to share the game with his kid, Ellie, but not to tell her who it was from.

LOL. Something like that happen to us also. It was some teenager that open the door, did not turn on the light and then started walking up and down the porch trying to look for somebody. We were hiding behind the bushes in his yard and luckily he finally saw the plate of goodies and took them and went inside. I am glad he did because these people were complete strangers.

BTW Philip, did you print the ones from BeenBooed.com or did you make your own up? Just wondering because the site is starting to get a lot more traffic since people are booing each other. Was just wondering if it was easy to print the files on the site.

-Richard

-Richard

Edited by RichardH

Richard,

I just printed a bunch of them from your site. You did make it very easy! The Wife, Kid, and I have plans for plastering our neghboorhood this weekend!

LOL. Something like that happen to us also. It was some teenager that open the door, did not turn on the light and then started walking up and down the porch trying to look for somebody. We were hiding behind the bushes in his yard and luckily he finally saw the plate of goodies and took them and went inside. I am glad he did because these people were complete strangers.

BTW Philip, did you print the ones from BeenBooed.com or did you make your own up? Just wondering because the site is starting to get a lot more traffic since people are booing each other. Was just wondering if it was easy to print the files on the site.

-Richard

-Richard

I got the black and white ones from your site and printed up 7, for to share and 1 to hang in our front window

your site does make it VERY easy with a one page pdf, just click and print

otherwise, it would take a few days for someone to take the one I gave them, make photocopies, and start over

-Richard

Edited by Philip

WOW, I saw this today, and just last night remembered to go and dig up my master copy since the nice lady at the other end who brought the tradition in over four years or more ago had forgot and left me to forget too until yesterday. In our neighborhood, we call it ghosting. Since the first year we had it, we've been going strong. (After someone remembers to start it, usually me!) When it gets started, within a week, over half the block has been hit and only one person didn't pass on their ghost last year. Rich, I love your website, but a lot of the people on my street are older and don't have a computer, let alone internet, so many of them won't get passed on, and another thing is that we've been using our edition for a number of years now and it would be sorta bad to break tradition after over four years and counting. But if we were starting out for the first year, I would definitely use yours, Rich. That website is great! Very professionally done. For the last few years, we've been using the first ghost that I am attaching. This year, due to lack of possession of a copy, I found the letter (we use a letter instead of a poem) and a picture that my parents like better than the old one. I printed out the picture that came with the letter and then found the old picture, so it didn't matter anyway. I am attaching both pictures and the letter for anyone who wants the one that I have used for almost five years now. I have nothing against Richard's, his is amazing, but I am just sharing mine in case there are any "You've Been Ghosted!" collectors out there that want to use both.:P

EDIT- The document is too big, so if someone wants that, just PM me with your eMail address and I will send it to you. I did take a screenshot of it and uploaded that, so that might work.

Rich, I love your website, but a lot of the people on my street are older and don't have a computer, let alone internet, so many of them won't get passed on,

I thought about changing the bottom of the sheet to

"Copy this page or print more copies at www.beenbooed.com" so people don't think they have to go to the web site.

Our neighborhood has different pictures of ghost it seems every year. So far in my neighborhood I have seen 4 different designs, most of them being just some bad looking clip-art ghost they found online.

The site has been getting hit hard the last two days and right now is averaging about 1,000 unique visitors per day.

I was on the front page of google when doing a search for "You've been booed" but somehow I dropped to the 2nd page today.

looks like you're back in the top five on google again

pretty good for a site that doesn't sell anything

I've only seen a few folks around here passing it on, we went out and "booed" someone else last night so that makes 7 now that we've passed out

looks like you're back in the top five on google again

pretty good for a site that doesn't sell anything

I've only seen a few folks around here passing it on, we went out and "booed" someone else last night so that makes 7 now that we've passed out

I can't understand the google search engine thing. Yesterday I was number five when you did a search for "You've been booed" and today it does not show up at all (I looked at the first 15 pages). I use to get a ton of traffic from google but today there is almost nothing.

Oh well. It is all for fun anyway! :)