I've offended some neighbors..

I probably wouldn't have put him up in the first place. While having a yard full of rotting corpses and headless bodies and Satan's spawn erupting from a hole in the ground is wonderful, wholesome fun, I don't think depicting the manner(s) in which they ended up this way is a responsible thing to do.

I'd be afraid some little kids would see the dead guy hanging there and think "Neato! I'm going to play that game with my little sister!" Fun ensues. Not. :(

Remember the story last year about the person that hung themself in a tree and nobody noticed because they thought it was a Halloween decoration?

Edit: YIKES! My next post will be number 5000! I'd better go chill the champagne! Where will it be? Any suggestions? PM me. :)

Well my thought is always, "If you don't like it, don't look" simple enough, no explanation needed. If people are Johovahs Witness around here, I dont tell them to stop and look at my lights, they can go past without stopping and I dont feel offended. I would just ask a neighbor on each side of you. If they dont have a problem then I say leave it up. People are never happy unless they complain. This seems like its just an excuse to start complaints and neighborhood problems if the letter is true and not kids screwing around.
Edited by ChuckHutchings
  • Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was younger I worked at a convienent store

I dressed up for Halloween, bloody knife buried in the front

It was held in with tape, so if you tried to pull it out it was like stuck in the wound :D

Hangmans noose over the register, milk crate behind the counter

When no-one was there I'd climb up & stick my head in the noose & go limp

Some parents came to check on me after their kids told them someone killed the convienent store guy :eek:

I love Halloween and all the macabre elements of it...but I have never felt the need to add a hangman...for some reason that just does not seem halloweeny to me....but to each her own...:P

Death is a very hard thing to face and people approach it in many different ways.

I'm torn by this as well...on one hand this family had to face all of the other elements in your display...the graves...the cemetary...headstones..but yet the hanging man was the only element that brings back the memory...

We all think had it been a car would they never drive or had he died this or that way...many what ifs...

But the loss of a child is something our brains are not wired to process...it's different from other deaths we experience....you come into the world knowing your older relatives with not live forever and when their deaths come it's not all to shocking. The loss of a child is far different.

When I lost my son...I faced all the aspects of death...the funeral home...the grave...getting a tombstone yet while doing my halloween display it never bothered me...

But I will share the one thing that tore me up to no end and it took me a few years to get over it....the baby dept....

For those that don't know my son was a few weeks old when he passed...I pretty much flipped out of my mind...

At first I couldn't keep myself out of the baby dept...I was found sitting in there just balling my eyes out on more than one occasion...luckily people I knew worked in there and called my husband to come for me...

Then I just developed this apprehension of that dept...it would upset me so bad just to walk anywhere near there...I mean I would literal make myself ill...I had to reroute all of my shopping to avoid it...anything I needed in eyesight of it had to be gotten by my husband...

It was just a projection of my grief...just as this hangman's noose it to this family...or rather the mother it appears....we all have our triggers...

It took me a very longtime to face my fears and heal and I'm sure it will take this woman time to heal as well.

It's a very sensitive situation. But we all have those...it's right at the very edge of the line going as far as asking someone to remove an item from their property. I certainly didn't ask wal-mart to close down the baby dept...I avoided it...

Maybe your home is just unavoidable...it sounds like the people were sincere...I think you did the right thing...

Having literally found a actually dead man hanging from a tree while at work.....it could be a lot more gory. On some aspect, I can see both side of the coin. One side, it does look very realistic and could easily bring back memories. On the other side, you can always not look at it when you drive by or take another route home. I think I would find out how close of neighbors they are and then decide. Did they go to every display that has something hanging and ask then to take it down.

As far as other options...

I like the Zombie Idea....If you can get him to stand up and put his arms out in front of him likes he's walking towards your the exit from your little grave yard there...that would be cool.

I think last year one of the small old south hick towns in North Florida put a black man dummy on a noose and it caused a lot of NAACP or whatever issues up there but it was not inttended to be a racial statement I guess and was only up for 2 weeks outside a country bar for 2 weeks leading up to Halloween. There could be issues there too.

Hmmm I used to use dummys for halloween. As many as 15 in one year, 1/2 of them were motorized props. Guys hanging from noose... even had a body laying on the ground where an ax was left embedded in teh ground near where someone's face down body had his head cut off and thru aquarium hoses oozed red fluid that looked like blood pumping out of the fresh wound, but I never had complaints although that head chopped off guy got a lot of ooooh's and that it was borderline too far for being too realistic looking.

Sorry to hear about the hanging man troubles. Stories like these reinforce why I made the decision to abandon halloween displays to focus exclusively on Christmas. Its a more agreeable topic/subject with more people.

Edited by Joseph Ayo

Now I wonder, will I get a thank you note?

Short answer: No.

No matter how sweet the original note, nor how much you compromise, will you ever get a thank you. That's just human nature for you: It's much easier to complain than it is to compliment, much easier to claim superiority than to embrace compromise.

I sympathize with both the people who wrote you the letter, and you yourself. Being put in that position is horrible. I am sad that the family is hurt that bad. But, I personally would not have taken it down - it's not their relative that was hung, nor is it even a representation of him.

Compromise when it comes to things like art (I consider what we do as artistic expression) is a very slippery slope. Ask Tim. He compromised a lot and it still wasn't good enough. Hopefully you won't have to compromise more.

I'd be afraid some little kids would see the dead guy hanging there and think "Neato! I'm going to play that game with my little sister!" Fun ensues. Not. :(

This is the 'Wile E Cyote/Road Runner" defense, and it simply isn't true. Kids are very much able to tell the difference between make believe and reality.

If not, we would have a whole lot of tunnel shaped, black paintings on the sides of mountains, houses, etc.. etc.. etc...:P

This is the 'Wile E Cyote/Road Runner" defense, and it simply isn't true. Kids are very much able to tell the difference between make believe and reality.

If not, we would have a whole lot of tunnel shaped, black paintings on the sides of mountains, houses, etc.. etc.. etc...:P

Tell that to the little girl Lionel Tate killed.

I admit it's rare and any "normal" kid would know that it's stupid but there are a lot of "not normal" people.

Tell that to the little girl Lionel Tate killed.

I admit it's rare and any "normal" kid would know that it's stupid but there are a lot of "not normal" people.

Ok, so I amend my statement that it only include those 99.9% who are not mentally deficient. :P

I bet I can find someone to drink molten lead if I look hard enough ;).

Ok, so I amend my statement that it only include those 99.9% who are not mentally deficient. :P

I bet I can find someone to drink molten lead if I look hard enough ;).

"Molten lead" would be a GREAT NAME for a drink or rock band! (And, according to Google, it hasn't been invented/used yet!) :)

Ask Tim. He compromised a lot and it still wasn't good enough. Hopefully you won't have to compromise more.

This is true... On the other hand, it gives me some moral peace to know I tried, and some defense whenever anyone asks about the situation... I'd feel like I was on much shakier ground if I just dug in my heels and didn't try to make things right...

But just to be clear, I was responding to complaints about traffic and noise, not display aesthetics. If a neighbor complained that they didn't like the colors in my display, there's no way I'd compromise on that (unless they convince me that my aestethic is bad ;) )

-Tim

Kind of late to get in the discussion but perhaps you can do like they have at Tweetsie Railroad... A hanging noose and two boots (with a sign saying "boots - cheap - one owner.") Perhaps your hanged man can become the hangman looking for the next victim?

The thing is - I haven't heard anyone ever complain about the noose there. It's there ALL the time and visible from the train. I guess it is because people realize that it's for criminals. Perhaps the same can be done with your display.

That is if the note bothers you. Maybe a couple adjustments might make it less offensive to the 0.00001%. Isn't amazing that less than 1% can cause such an uproar? What about the other 99%? They'd realize what it is - A PROP. Geez. Of course, be careful as he might go missing some night because of that 0.00001%.

Personally, I'd say leave him alone. Perhaps add a note that says, "Good to the last drop." Well... Maybe not. It depends upon how much people annoy me...

• 6 months later...

for one the hanging man looks so awesome. looks real. but like they said use it somewere else in the display possibly like a crime scene or something

Is there a reason that you are digging up ancient posts for no apparent reason?

Be nice, Batman. RichardG is new here.

Richard - as you peruse the forums you might want to check the last post date. If it's really old then don't bump it back to the top unless you have something relevant to add or have some other reason to do so. (There's probably a reason nobody has replied to some of these threads in a year or so.) :)

Guest Matilda

WOW! Is that really necessary?

Did you see he is brand new and 16 years old? Way to go! Give yourself a nice pat on the back for hospitality....

umm ya like they all told u. im new here and i wus reading all the posts who cares that i brought up an old one. i see no were that it hurt you. it doesnt say anywere in the ''rules'' dont reply to old posts.

umm ya like they all told u. im new here and i wus reading all the posts who cares that i brought up an old one. i see no were that it hurt you. it doesnt say anywere in the ''rules'' dont reply to old posts.

Um ya... like...

Well, it may not be in the rules, however good netiquette dictates that you DON'T dig up posts that are years old unless you have something substantial to add to the discussion.

Also, good netiquette says you should try to blend in as best as you can to a new community, which in that l33t speak you are typing in amounts to: lurk moar. And when you have, you'll discover that we try our best to make our English teachers proud by leaving the text speak to our cell phones.

Read this guide and learn from 1,3,7,10

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1152990/forum_netiquette_for_newbies.html

however good netiquette dictates that you DON'T dig up posts that are years old unless you have something substantial to add to the discussion.

Ok, so not to be a stickler for this netiquette rule you just posted, but according to what you stated, he did not break the rule. "Posts that are years old" as you stated would mean a post that is at least 12 months old. It would then stand that since this entire thread is less that one year old it can "under that rule" be posted on without falling into the "Years Old" category.

If your going to chastise a new member for breaking a "netiquette rule" as you state them, at least make sure they are not following the rules as you state them in the first place.

Last time I checked, no one forces anyone to read the posts they make. If you dont like it, dont read it.