I've offended some neighbors..

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so not to be a stickler for this netiquette rule you just posted, but according to what you stated, he did not break the rule. "Posts that are years old" as you stated would mean a post that is at least 12 months old. It would then stand that since this entire thread is less that one year old it can "under that rule" be posted on without falling into the "Years Old" category.

If your going to chastise a new member for breaking a "netiquette rule" as you state them, at least make sure they are not following the rules as you state them in the first place.

Last time I checked, no one forces anyone to read the posts they make. If you dont like it, dont read it.

I didn't like your post so I didn't read it. :P

umm ya like they all told u. im new here and i wus reading all the posts who cares that i brought up an old one. i see no were that it hurt you. it doesnt say anywere in the ''rules'' dont reply to old posts.

rules, netequit, or not digging up old threads just to agree with them is bad form. You would look just as foolish if you had a conversation with a friend in real life about a car you see driving down the street, then two weeks later simply blurting out, "and the rims are cool too"

if you are reading old posts to learn, you must have missed the point that a large majority of the folks around here don't use texting lingo other than the usual FOL or LOL. Try and use real words and add substance and you'll find it will go alot further than becoming known as the guy who will chime in on a topic a day late and a dollar short

Ok guys, I think the point's been made. Let's not run the poor kid off...

There's really no harm in replying to old threads. Worst you're going to get from me is an eye-roll and me thinking "ho boy, here goes that old thread again". Just do be aware of what the original post date was. If you're offering suggestions to a question posted 3 years ago, that person might not even be around anymore, or at least a 99% chance that they've already solved the issue. The thread about the hunter snowman is a good example of this -- it keeps getting re-revived every few months, with people giving the original poster new "suggestions" on how to handle his neighbors -- but the problem is years old now...

In closing I'll offer two rules of thumb, one for richardg, and one for everyone else. Richardg: Try to write in complete English sentences with proper spelling, to the best of your ability. This isn't a text messaging system, and many of us "old guys" find shortcut-speak very tedious to read at best, and might think lesser of you at worst. If you truly have a problem with proper English grammar and spelling, then we'll get used to it, as we have with others here. To everyone else: Don't bite the newbies!

-Tim

Edited by tfischer
spelling

Ok, so not to be a stickler for this netiquette rule you just posted, but according to what you stated, he did not break the rule. "Posts that are years old" as you stated would mean a post that is at least 12 months old. It would then stand that since this entire thread is less that one year old it can "under that rule" be posted on without falling into the "Years Old" category.

If your going to chastise a new member for breaking a "netiquette rule" as you state them, at least make sure they are not following the rules as you state them in the first place.

Last time I checked, no one forces anyone to read the posts they make. If you dont like it, dont read it.

Semantics. Months or years matters not. The thread was OLD and nothing substantial was added.

as I am new to this forum, as well. I will not be concerned with the original date of which these post are created. If they are too old to exist, they should be deleted or clustered into a "old post forum" Plus, it's about christmas, not about proper ways to use a forum...

POST ON!:)

newbies are very welcomed here at PC and we are all glad to help answer questions and get you pointed in the right direction to create an outstanding display. Old posts never expire or go away, they just get shuffled out of the mix of what's going on now.

There's no foul in bringing up old stuff if you have something substantial to add or if you find something old that you'd like clarification on to build in your own yard

Hope we haven't run off any newbies with this current barage and you find PC as someplace you can call "home" we were all newbie here at one time or anohter

Semantics. Months or years matters not. The thread was OLD and nothing substantial was added.

I am just stating what you said. You stated a "rule" to a new member. Rules are the last thing you want to be vague about. I said years, opps sorry, I really meant months. If you want PC to follow those "Netiquette" rules, at least post exactly what you want.

In the big picture, who cares if someone comments on a old post. Whether it has substance or not is just a matter of opinion and you know what they say about opinions. No one forces you to read any post on here. Until Chuck says something about it, post away guys. If its 1 year or 1 day old, post, post, post.

Freedom of speech, its what makes this country great!!! usa.gif

Wow, sorry guys, I didn't mean to start all that. It's just that I've seen Richard posting in a lot of old threads, some 2 and 3 years old. On another forum that I belonged to, there were a few kids that revived old threads just to clutter everything up, for kicks. I'm not saying that Richard is doing that. I should have asked my question in a PM. I didn't mean to get everyone argueing. I apologize to everone, (except Lelinski and Chuck of course)

Edited by cozzi

Wow, sorry guys, I didn't mean to start all that.

No harm done.....was anyone arguing or just getting specific clarification? :giggle:

We're all family here, just like any family, little skirmishes will happen. :D

Ok, group hug!!! smiley31.gif

Really the post isn't even old. October has only been 7 months ago. It wasn't 7 years ago.

Not to start anything up again (I HOPE) but before I made the comment in this thread, I saw Richard bringing back posts that were over 2 years old.

So, again I think that I said the wrong thing. Matilda, the grammar and spelling thing is just joking around. As for most of the posts here, things do get a bit heated from time to time, and most are very opinionated, but all these people that posted here, and lots more on Planet Christmas will go out of their way to help everyone, be it veteran, newbie, or even Tim Fischer's mom. Please stick around and find out.

In some twisted way we have all been sucked into this PC family, we may fight, but in the end, we'll put the BS aside and get the job done. :giggle:

Guest A.F.NUT

Wow! I have been here over a year now and never knew that we werent allowed to post to old threads. I think I have done it time to time. Nothing else going on right now so what does it hurt? I think we all need to ''Lighten Up'' pun intended and Welcome Richard! Tom

well how abotu i leave pc.

it seems like its a big problem to everyone here i brought up and old thread. who cares omg yall are worse then high school drama. and if you dont like the way i type ur gonna have to get used to it due to the fact its not an assignment. i dont get graded for it. :mad::mad:

it seems like its a big problem to everyone here i brought up and old thread. who cares omg yall are worse then high school drama. and if you dont like the way i type ur gonna have to get used to it due to the fact its not an assignment. i dont get graded for it. :mad::mad:

You can type however you like. But like I said, you're likely to get better advice/help if you put some effort into it (and avoid looking foolish to boot).

It's also best to lose the attitude. As both a newbie, and junior (by age) to most of the folks here, it's disrespectful. Most of us stuck up for your right to post in old threads after all, and the original person who called you on it has apologized. That means it's best to drop it rather than beat the dead horse a bit longer...

-Tim

Guest Matilda

Good for you! You tell 'em!

Welcome to PC.... I found the 'old' thread which you had brought back up to be fascinating... Thank you. Without your digging around, I would have missed it.

I believe I am able to have an opinion and feel that some of the 'senior' members perhaps could have said hello to you before they started in with their 'inside jokes'... None of it seemed very funny to me.

Please don't leave PC... and don't change your natural way of 'speaking'.... I don't think it's appropriate for other members to insist that you change who you are...

Have fun Richard... and don't let the members who should be 'older and wiser' but certainly didn't behave that way here, get you down... :):) You certainly wouldn't know it by your experience on this thread, but there are nice non-judgmental people here too!

Take care!