led question

I am looking to put up c-7 led lights this year. I would like to put up a green then red repeating pattern. The problem is I can only find full strings with lights that can't be replaced. I see that they have replaceable led bulbs but they are around $50 for 25. I was hoping to buy the full stings and make my own . Lowes had them for about $10 a string. any ideas or suggestions?

Do you want LED's or regular bulbs. If you are using LED's and animating them, the bulbs will probably not last a full night. Once you start to fade them and animate them their lifespan is drastically cut. However, if you are just going to leave them steady, then you can just purchase C7 stringers at a place like Action Lighting, and install the bulbs. It is probably going to be difficult to find that color pattern in the stores.

Put up both red and green standard LED strings together - just offset them by 1/2 of the bulb spacing. If the strings have the same 20 cm / 8 inch spacing as the C7 LEDs I've seen, you'll have an alternating red/green pattern with a bulb every 10 cm / 4 in. That would be too close for C7 incandescents, but the LEDs aren't as bright and should look fine. 4 inch spacing is standard for C6 and M5 LED strings and the C7s use the same 20 mA LEDs - they just have bigger plastic bulbs around them.

Put up both red and green standard LED strings together - just offset them by 1/2 of the bulb spacing. If the strings have the same 20 cm / 8 inch spacing as the C7 LEDs I've seen, you'll have an alternating red/green pattern with a bulb every 10 cm / 4 in. That would be too close for C7 incandescents, but the LEDs aren't as bright and should look fine. 4 inch spacing is standard for C6 and M5 LED strings and the C7s use the same 20 mA LEDs - they just have bigger plastic bulbs around them.

This is what I just finished doing on my roofline for this year, I am very happy with the final result. It did take more time then just one set but, this also gives more freedom for animation as well.

CMurray