Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
taybrynn

Backing up sequences and audio files with Mozy

Folks,

I know there is never a good time to think about backing up your data.

But I found a solution today that is too good to keep a secret ... so I'm sharing ...

I discovered it just today and was kind of blown away by this thing ... and its FREE.

I recommend you minimally back up your .lms, .mp3. , .wav , .lcc (configuration) and any associated planning documents and/or spreadsheets you may have. That's not really all that much, if you think about it.

The .wav files could eat space fast, but 2GB should still go a long ways.

My sequences for around 15 songs was under 100MB and with all my audio files ... I was still under 1GB ... or 50% of my free quota. THe key is in identifying only was is truly critical and not everything. This requires un-checking most (or all) of the initial configuration stuff that it defaults to. I suggest just creating your own backup sets yourself and for each define the locations and file types to be included.

This online backup service is called Mozy

http://www.mozy.com

What drew me to it was that you could sign up for free and they give you the first 2GB of backup space totally free and no monthly charge. If you want or need more, then you pay for more capacity.

So I'm thinking ... I can easily store all my .lms (Sequence) files and .mp3 (audio) files I use for the show in that amount of space!

So you only need to provide them with an email and your name. THen they email you a link to download and install the mozy software.

THe other reason I tried this one is that a review said it was the easiest one out there. That works for me.

So I tried it and got everything backed up today. Now this is only for folks with a pretty fast internet connection ... don't even try it unless you have DSL or better speeds.

I'll try to post pictures later ... but bottom line, its slick ... fairly simple and I'm impressed.

You can define your own backup sets ... i.e. "LOR sequences" ... or "LOR audio files" ... or "lightshow spreadsheets" ... "LOR configuration files" ... whatever ...

Just pick up the files and/or directories that you want, then it can back them up when your computer is idle (and you can specify a certain time each day or it will just do it when you specify according to idle time and time since last use, etc.)

So I highly reccomend looking into this, as I would HATE for anyone to loose their hard work just before the peak season begins here.

A Colorado friend, Scot Meyers, recently lost all his files to malicious virus he got from an email (or web page) ... and thats a shame.

So if your looking for a free solution that you can download and get going in a couple hours or less ... try this one out.

I don't normally reccomend stuff ... but I was really impressed at this software and the ease of use. It allows you to throttle it so it doesn't dog your computer as bad. If you want the faster backup time ... it will DOG your system, but you can change it while its running, which is SWEET.

CHeers!

Scott

Edited by taybrynn

I have been using Mozy for about 6 months now and I really like it. I went with the paid plan of $4.95/month for as much as I can backup. I have about 80gb backed up and it took about 15 days to do the initial backup. Now it just runs 2 times a day and keeps all of my files backed up. It has a nice web based recovery mode if you want just a few files, say to move to another computer. I have not tried a full recovery (and hope I never will).

The automatic backup software works nicely, does not seem to get in the way of anything else, and almost always works. One time I had network connectivity issues and it poped up a message box that said it was not able to backup for the last 9 days. Good thing, I was able to fix it and get backups going again.

It will not backup network attached drives, so you can not use it to backup all the computers in your house, unless you have all of the computers copy their data to the harddrive of the one master backup computer.

Good product. I sleep better at night knowing my data is safe off-site.

- Michael

Update:

OMG, your not going to believe this ... but ...

My laptop hard drive died last week !!

Amazingly, I had just backed up everything on Mozy about a week before. And because of the auto-backup feature, it even had the sequence I had finished updating the night before at 11:45pm . I agree with the prior poster, who said the backup software doesn't seem to negatively impact system performance in a big way.

I have been able to do online recovery (to my new computer) even though the old laptop is officially toast now. I opted to have my file recovered to a .zip file ... and they email you when they are recovered. My 300mb I choose to recover took only minutes to recover ... maybe 10 minutes? I was blown away.

I am VERY impressed with all the recovery options the mozyhome offers.

Trust me, I don't work for them ... but this (free up to 2GB) backup service just saved my big time !!

Scott

Edited by taybrynn

I just use a usb hard drive. It is better and I don't have to worry about space or the site going under and loosing all my files. The only person you can trust is yourself.

I do replicated files only 2 other PC's ... but only mozyhome caught the files I had just updated on the laptop.

I think the USB could do the same, but for me, I'm trying to back up 3 different machines (some are not on all the time) and a laptop that is normally off when I'm not using it.

So for me, mozy provides a little something extra that the other methods don't. I think the best strategy is to have redundant backups and redundant methods.

My next purchase will be a huge USB hard drive. Any reccomendations on a brand that comes with software that is both reliable and easy to use?

Thanks,

Scott

I just bought 2 maxtor 1TB hard drives. I also have a couple of Western Digital and Seagate hard drives. They all work like they're supposed to. The Maxtor's are a little noisy but priced right.

Western Digital. Go for like the 1TB ones. I normally use them to back up pictures, music, etc. And I have multiple computers so I know what you are talking about. I know there is a software package so you can have all the files backed up threw a network but I forgot the name of it.