Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Steven Singleton Jr.

When is the best time

So when do you all think the best time to do a Christmas Party would be? Do you try a week before Christmas or a few days before Christmas? For those who have tried both what has worked out better for ya?

My thoughts are unless the party only includes relatives or very close friends, the earlier in December the better. Everyone's calendar quickly fills up. We have a big New Years Eve party rather than a Christmas party.

Just my $.02

I've never had a Christmas party.

But if I ever did have one here is what I would do, make a list of the people I'm going to invite ,then call them and ask what what be a good day and what ever was the most popular day then that's when I would have it .

I mean you want it to be a convenience to everyone .

The place where I worked had their Christmas party towards the end of November ,as some people have so much to do in December.

i usually have a party with my friends the sat after thanksgiving... my family has a huge christmas party family gathering here at my house on christmas eve.. I look forward all year to the sat after thanksgiving to just hang out with my friends and anticipate the holidays coming. We usually do some final twiking to the lights enjoy the lights and play some cards and eat..

We always have a Gingerbread House decorating party and I try to have it two weekends before Christmas! That way we have the party out of the way and everyone still has one weekend to finish shopping, baking or just relaxing before Christmas!

It is for families including kids so it has become quite the party!

~Teri in AZ

my parents has a BIG Christmas party every year when I was growing up and it was on the second Saturday in December without fail and drew a pretty good crowd. I'd agree with Ken, close family and friends will do a party closer to the actual day, but for a bigger party you're risking much of a turnout if you have it within a weeks of Christmas - just my opinion

Guest jmulls

I'll be at the Hilton Rialto the 2nd week... just around the corner from that ever famous Melbourne airport... was gonna stay beach side... but the water over there smells like rotten eggs... I'll be at Harris over on bab****. I can bring some dip and moldy cheese...

I'll be at the Hilton Rialto the 2nd week... just around the corner from that ever famous Melbourne airport... was gonna stay beach side... but the water over there smells like rotten eggs... I'll be at Harris over on bab****. I can bring some dip and moldy cheese...

Moldy Cheese? You have to stop shopping in South River then.

So what is harris bringing you in for?? We have a good friend that works at harris that has been trying to get me on with them for a few months. Harris buildings are all over Melbourne. lol Yeah the river water stinks, but beachside is not bad at all.

Guest jmulls

Well I won't disclose that on a public forum like this. I am down there at least once a month.I just had to laugh that the street name was blocked dur to profanity... yes there is a Babco ck ave in Melbourne

We are Not having a Christmas Party, but more of an "Open House," with a Complete Lights Display set to Music.

Ours runs Dec. 18 - Jan. 1, every other Evening.

My Aunt and Uncle always hosted a big family party on Christmas eve. Now they are both gone my sister hosts the party at her home.

My company Christmas party is at our corporate headquarters...in Ohio, a 2 hour drive away. I've worked there 7 years and only attended one.

due to the traffic problem we have with the display, earlier the better~ we had it last year @ Nov 24th actually, running late this year so wilbe @ Dec 6th~

Well this year we are starting our Christmas Eve party. Going to have a few friends from work and everyone is going to bring a few things. Friends, food, some tv. Not as expensive as alot of peoples parties but hope to have a good time.