Fiberglass Nativity Restoration

Hello all, I just purchased a nearly 50 year old lifesize nativity set made of fiberglass. According to the seller, it was made by Bonner's around 1960. It has some paint loss on nearly all of the pieces and some paint flaking. One of the shepherds has a few fingers missing. I have used blowmolds for decorating so know very little about fiberglass. The only obvious fix are two of the shepherd staffs that are missing. I am hoping someone out there could recommend the best products to use on fiberglass for paint touch-up and something to stop the paint from further flaking off. I am wondering what could be used to seal or weatherproof these from sun/rain? There is nothing I can find about restoring these old fiberglass nativities online. If anyone can offer any suggestions, I would really appreciate it. I am attaching some pics also. Thanks, Paul

post-5704-129571076563_thumb.jpg

post-5704-129571076578_thumb.jpg

post-5704-129571076585_thumb.jpg

post-5704-129571076591_thumb.jpg

post-5704-129571076599_thumb.jpg

Paul, Welcome to PC! Please consider posting your town and state so we can relate to you better. Amazing Nativity set! I agree with the sealer but get one that has a mat finish so as not to change the look of the set (unless you want it glossy). I've never worked with fiberglass, but was thinking Bondo might work on any holes you want to patch. If you take a few scrapes of paint to the store, they might be able to match them. Be careful with this set! Very good chance that someone else might try to steal it!

Welcome Paul to Planet Christmas

This isn't info on how to fix your beautiful nativity ,but if it is indeed from Bronners as the seller says it is and from the 60's here is an article telling just a little about it and who made it. Look at the very bottom of the page in the last 3 paragraph's.You might be able to look around and find some more info by using the maker's name's and find out the value .

http://www.bronners.com/nativityscene.html

Could you possibly post a picture of the entire set? I'd love to see it .

Thank you!:)

Welcome Paul to Planet Christmas

This isn't info on how to fix your beautiful nativity ,but if it is indeed from Bronners as the seller says it is and from the 60's here is an article telling just a little about it and who made it. Look at the very bottom of the page in the last 3 paragraph's.You might be able to look around and find some more info by using the maker's name's and find out the value .

http://www.bronners.com/nativityscene.html

Could you possibly post a picture of the entire set? I'd love to see it .

Thank you!:)

I appreciate all your suggestions/help. It is from Bronner's not Bonners. Sorry my typo. I am located in Red Oak, TX. I have been able to find very little on restoration of these types of nativities. Someone has painted over these figures and the paint is peeling off. Someone suggested using fiberglass boat paint. I had originally intended on just touching up the paint that had peeled off but am faced with the daunting task of stripping all the paint off completely and repainting, since I cannot find exact matches to the existing paints. I have considered using bondo on some of the cracks. I will post more pictures and more pictures of the damaged areas. It might take me years to restore all the pieces since there are 16 in all. In summary, I am primarily concerned with stopping the paint from peeling any further if possible(not sure since this is the paint that was painted over the top of the original paint), touching up the missing paint, repairing any cracks/holes, and then finally weatherproofing from sun/rain, etc. Thanks again for your help.

Thank you for sharing the photo's of this beautiful nativity.

It is sad that someone has painted over the original color's .

A nativity such as this should of been taken well care of and when stored should of been done so as to not receive damage . It is evident that the previous owner's did neither .

I have no doubt that this was once a work of great value.

Thank you again.