Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Melody

Anyone decorating already?

It's October 31st and when the trick or treaters come to our door tonight, they will be greeted with Christmas trees. You should see their little eyes when we open the door!

I'm doing 66 theme trees this year (3 feet to 9 feet) and have 18 of them up so far.

I'm attaching two pictures. One is MidWinter Elegance and the other is Tantalizing Teal.

This is my favorite time of year when all the planning from January-September gets put into motion.

Have you begun decorating your inside trees yet? How about your outside?

Melody

www.groups.yahoo.com/group/ChristmastotheMax

Guest Jeff_Womack

Melody, simply amazing! I can't wait to see more! (I just hope to get two up this year.)

Man my house is not even big enough for more than 1 tree. I can't wait to see them all. Halloween comes down this weekend and time to start decorating for Christmas.

Jeff,

Until 2001, we were a one tree family. My grown daughter suggested I might enjoy doing more than one tree. In 2001, I did 4 trees and in 7 years, the forest has grown to over 75 trees. Can't put them all up at once as I don't have room, but can't bear to get rid of any of them either. Since I change out themes every year or recreate old themes, I'll use them all at one time or the other.

Good luck with your 2 trees. You do a big outdoor display, don't you? I must say that at our house the inside far outshines the outside...mostly because DH just isn't into overdoing and he's responsible for the outside.

Melody

Brad,

If you want to do more than one tree and don't have much room, you really have to think outside the box. We take out some furniture and more the other furniture around to accommodate the trees. They kinda rule the roost here from October-January. Have you thought about putting trees on end tables, nightstands, dressers, or coffee tables? All of those will hold a 3 or 4 foot tree nicely.

Have fun with your decorating!

Melody in SC

Thank you, Carrie. Yes, they all have names and are all done in themes. I love the process of planning out the themes each year and then coming up with names for them.

Lots of people think I'm crazy, but what a wonderful thing to be crazy over! I have Christmasitis and there is thankfully no cure for it!

Answered this one time, but have never seen it come through....so I'll try again.

Yes, all the trees have different themes and I name them all. I love the process of coming up with different themes and then naming the tree.

Lots of people think I'm crazy, but hey, what a wonderful thing to be crazy over! I definitely have "Christmasitis" and thankfully, there is no cure for it!:)

Melody

VERY cool! Beautiful too!

I would start our indoor Christmas decorating now, except (A) my husband would probably kill me and (B) we're doing Thanksgiving at our house this year and with 15 +/- expected people, we need the space for guests. But come November 28th.... :rolleyes:

Melody,

I am actually about 15 miles west of Columbia. My sister lived in Fort Mill area behind the Barnyard Flea Market. She just moved Friday to Daytona Beach. You should have come to the Carolina Mini we had a month or so ago.

You are not too far away from me then. Columbia is only about 45 minutes south of where I live. I know right where the Barnyard Flea Market is in Ft. Mill...I pass it every time I go to Garden Ridge...one of my favorite places to shop.

I'll be sure to be looking for the Carolina Mini next year.

Melody

I started putting up lights outside the first weekend of oct!.....and at that point

i wasn't even sure if i was gonna do a display or just some lights. Will i guess

there will be a display LOL (at least on the back of the house)..the front will

depend on weather...and of course the fact that i'm getting old and worn out -

and its taking longer to do stuff LOL

as far as inside:

its a bit too early for that...but i did put all the LED lights for my 'forest' in the

room where most of them will be used

I always do the lights on the roof early in mid October to make sure I get them up while the weather is still good, I do the rest of the yard mid November for show start the day after Thanksgiving.