Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
RichArsenault

I'm out...but now I'm scared

I'm pulling a "Chuck". We decided about 10 days into last years display not to do it this year.

After 10 years it was time to take a year off. And when I mean a year, I've gone the entire year without doing anything.

I'm interested for feedback from anyone who's had a larger display and taken a year off? People have already started stopping by to see when the display would be up. Reports have called, and even a local TV station was interested in doing a piece. We'll also be in the HGTV reruns this year...

Should I put a sign up or will people just figure it out real soon. By now most people would have seen me on the roof and wondering around the yard with my notebook talking to myself.

Can't wait for December 26th... That's the official kickoff of the 2009 season for me.

Rich

I didn't decorate one year and the whole neighborhood thought I had died!

I got lots of volunteers to put it up the next year!

Just get ready to deal with the high disappointment :mad: level if you have had lots of people coming by for years.

Mabey you'll get lots of volunteers to put it up in 09. :D

I'm interested for feedback from anyone who's had a larger display and taken a year off? People have already started stopping by to see when the display would be up. Reports have called, and even a local TV station was interested in doing a piece. We'll also be in the HGTV reruns this year...

Should I put a sign up or will people just figure it out real soon. By now most people would have seen me on the roof and wondering around the yard with my notebook talking to myself.

Rich

I say don't do any lights and enjoy yourself. I small sign saying: Christmas lights are taking a break. We'll be back next year!

Or something similar that is positive.

Guest Jeff_Womack

Rich,

I didn't have near as big of a display as you but yers I got lots of questions. I even prepped people during Christmas 2006 that there would not be a display in 2007! I had no choice on whether to have or not to have a display last year but in the end it was a good thing that I didn't. I feel more energized and after so many years, the expectations fro mone year to the next become so high.

Get out and see others displays, see what you want to do for next year and just enjoy this Christmas! When you build it again, they will come back!

And I agree with Micheal, put out a sign.

Get one of those Santa inflatables that is a beach scene and put up a sign that says taking the year off. I remember someone once did lights that spelled out "Burned Out".

Guest Jeff_Womack

I remember someone once did lights that spelled out "Burned Out".

That would be Alek, our infamous Denver decorator.

That would be Alek, our infamous Denver decorator.

Somehow I still get emails from him every hear trumpeting his amazing X-10 controlled Christmas lights...

I agree with the others. Put a sign out. That way people know your just taking a break for a year and you will be back next year. Enjoy the break.

I agree with the others about putting out a sign. After 16 years taking a year off has crossed my mind more than a few times.....Keep us informed and let us know how it goes and good luck!

We decided about 10 days into last years display not to do it this year. After 10 years it was time to take a year off.

Just curious, why r u taking the year off?

Approximately 10 miles away from (southern Jersey), the only other animated house (who got me hooked on this) took off this year as well. He has been doing it for 6 or so years and was one of the first to get products from LOR. In a local newspaper, he said he has had vandalism, spectators fighting, etc. to such a degree, it ruining last Christmas for him. He said it has been getting progressively worse each year and he is not sure if he will ever do it again. Not to rant, but I was so disappointed in hearing that the public damaged his Christmas spirit causing him not to set up "that house" kids always seem to remember. I sincerely hope this is not your reason...

Guest jmulls

B Regal,

You have 2 other displays in Absecon that have been around for years.. one is a member in here.

Edited by jmulls

I think you should just put one thing out and that is it. I know it will be hard for you to do, but just pick on bush etc and light it up. Don't put any signs out just light up one thing.

I have been doing my display for only 5 years. Earlier this year I was facing my third Kidney transplant rejection. I decided it was time to skip a year. My brother Glen kept telling me he'd help. In fact it would be a family affair. My Dad has offered as well as another brother. All I did for Halloween was stick out my blowmolds. I didn't hook them up or run the AL system. Just stuck them out there in the yard. As it was it rained and we didn't get many people. If I hadn't taken Halloween off I don't think I could do Christmas now. Saturday was raining all day too and I sat inside working on small projects. Yesterday was really nice. Glen came over and we started working. Even put on some Toby Keith Christmas music. It wasn't long until I was in the spirit. It has made a big difference having help. Last year my brothers came over and helped put out the molds about 200 of them. This year with all their help I might get done for Thanksgiving. I also have about 7 days off this Nov which is taking a lot of stress off.

So why did I write all of this. I guess I just wanted to say I've been and in the end it worked out for me.

A guy near me took a year off and the next year everyone was back. Just get a small sign and maybe loop a small message about how you felt on your FM transmitter. Tell them if you plan to come back next year and wish them a Merry Christmas.

Good Luck and God Bless

Brian

I really see why your taking a break. You got too many lights. Basicly put some spots on the house or some deer out and it will be fine. By the way i live about 20 miles from you... Im always watching:P Also may i suggest editing your site to say lights wont be on this year.

Edited by razorchristmas

Rich,

I have to admit it seemed weird when I drove by your house last weekend and there were no lights to be seen. That being said, you clearly reached a point last year where the traffic in front of the house was insane and I imagine not a lot of fun for the two of you. I say take the year. Enjoy your trip around the country visiting other displays and Disney World. I have no doubt that you will return with lots of great ideas and will be ready to pick up where you left off in 2009. If you happen to have a hankering to hang a light or two in the next few weeks feel free to come on over!

Have a great year off and see you in 2009

- Scott

As Scott has pointed out we did feel like prisoners in our own home last year. When traffic reached multiple hour lines it was very difficult to even turn the lights off.

I'm having very bad withdrawals but I was "lucky" enough to give Marc in Hudson, NH a hand this weekend. Yeah, that really helped... I've spent the last 24 hours putting a list together of what I need next year. I even hinted to the wife that I'm sure I could pull off a small display this year... That didn't go over very well...

Only 46 days until I can start working on next years display...

Rich

I've been doing static displays for quite a few years now whether it be on family's homes or now my own within the last couple of years. This year I am doing 80 channels LOR with approximately 30,000+ lights. I am already feeling a bit of anxiety as putting 3 different colors on the roof line is taking forever. However, I have had to calm myself and remind myself why I am doing it. If taking a year off will recharge the batteries, more power to ya. I imagine a lot of folks will be disappointed so a sign would be very important. Charge 'em up and come back stronger and more motivated next year! In the great advice of many of the members here, once the fun is gone, the point is moot.

Hi Rich:

Maybe you should offer consulting services this year. I've never made good use of my roof (of course, it doesn't help that I'm afraid of heights - smile) And I've always wondered how you were able to get the light strings run down the slope of your roof and really look so sharp...you deserve the rest...Peter