Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
mira

My way to make lights straight

Mira, do you think that your idea would work well with rope light?

Below are some photos of this corner shaped long cardboard piece I used, last year, similar to wood, it's sturdy, but I only had a few pieces of it.

But I might switch to your method. What do you think Mira?

snowflake8.JPG

snowflake6.JPG

What a fantastic Idea...too late this year, but next year for sure. Only have to figure out how to secure them to the roof, without damage.

Thank You so much for this idea.

M&K

Jeff,

I don't think that rope light will work to well and I don't know how you would attach it to the ridge of your roof. The trim is in a U sape with bottom being square and the slot is only about 3/16" wide.

Mira

They make a "rope light channel" but looks like its around $3 for 3 feet.

On the lattice i would just lay the rope light in the groove and wire tie it tight onto the groove... The lattice channel probably costs much less.

Jeff seems to be a master at attaching items to those clay tiles safely.

wow i wish i had read this before i spent MANY hours putting mine up with clips lol but i do think if you are standing it straight up you may want to drill holes in the backside so water wont stand there. GREAT IDEA~!!

I would really like to do this, I still can't figure how to put this on the roof?

I have fiberglass shingles and I don't think I am supposed to drill or nail into them without causing leaks correct?

I was looking at these in our Lowes & Home Depot. I noticed that many of them are warped. What's to keep these from warping? Normally the lattice will hold them straight. Are you noticing any problems keeping them straight without additional support to hold them that way?

I was looking at these in our Lowes & Home Depot. I noticed that many of them are warped. What's to keep these from warping? Normally the lattice will hold them straight. Are you noticing any problems keeping them straight without additional support to hold them that way?

A few of the ones I got were warped, but not bad. I've drilled 3 or 4 holes (depending if that piece will be vertical or horizontal) to put screws through for mounting and that keeps them straight. Of course I just did it tonight, but I don't see why it won't stay straight. I love it though, going to get more tomorrow. I wish it were on sale...it's $7 for 8' right now.

I'm also trying to figure out the best way to put two sets of lights in them. Weaving the two strings together first keeps the best distance between bulbs, but it gets to be a challenge getting all that wire in flat.

I've drilled 3 or 4 holes (depending if that piece will be vertical or horizontal) to put screws through for mounting and that keeps them straight.

Tyson are you just drilling right into the roof?

I was at our Home Depot yesterday and found the vinyl "H" channel on sale for $4.00 for a 8ft section. They had brown, green, grey, and white (although the white was NOT on sale). The "U" channel was $8.00 for an 8ft section. I think the "H" channel would work perfect for 2 sets of lights (one in each groove). Or, you could fasten a "U" channel (with screws, zip ties, glue, ect.) to the outside of the "H" channel and run 3 different colors. One set of lights would have the bulbs pointing up, another set with the bulbs pointing down, and the bulbs pointing out on the U channel.

Here are some pics of the "H" channel....

post-3832-129571085232_thumb.jpg

post-3832-129571085242_thumb.jpg

post-3832-129571085247_thumb.jpg

Edited by docfuture

Will minis fit in there, or would they be too small?

Mini's are actually too big! They fit, but you have to spread it with something to squeeze the sockets in. They are like 1 or 1.5mm too big to fit nicely.

Tyson are you just drilling right into the roof?

No I'm putting mine in the wood molding on the sides and parts of our house. For the roofline I'm sticking with the shingle clips. I'm not doing anything along the crown of our roof (at least this year!)

The holes I was drilling are in the molding itself so I can put a screw through into the house. You have to drill through the groove first so the screw head will fit down through, then I put a smaller hole through the bottom (which will be against the house) for the threaded part of the screw.

Will minis fit in there, or would they be too small?

Just got back from Lowe's for more railing, and discovered that there is another manufacturer (can't recall their name, sorry) that makes this lattice railing also, BUT the groove(channel) is visibly bigger than the US Fence brand railing. This would probably be perfect for regular mini lights.

Just make sure you get the right stuff that fit your lights (I took a set of lights in the first time to make sure they fit)!

i went to home depot and they had the clay color lattice molding for 2 bucks a stick!! so i bought all they had. im using diogen C6's and you have to pry the channel open and pust the light in but it holds them wonderfully!! thanks so much for the idea!! i ran it up/down the gutter downspouts and am mitering the corners to run the along the bottom of my deck. oh geeze another ide just popped in my head. again thanks for the idea!!!

Jim

Hi Mira,

Just wanted to let you know that the lattice channnel was a big success. I made frames for all my doors & windows. I literally bought the entire stock of framing from three of my local home depot's!

My, led's fit into the channel perfrctly and are all nice and straight. Since I used three colors, I hot glued 3 strips together and cut to length to make the frames. I made wooden "biscuits" and hot glued them to join the peices together. The end result was better than I expected. Will try & post some photos.

~Doug

Guest Jeff_Womack

They make a "rope light channel" but looks like its around $3 for 3 feet.

I am just now seeing this but 1000Bulbs.com has ROpe Light channel for less than half of that. (http://www.1000bulbs.com/Rope-Lights/) I have used it the past two displays to make very straight runs of LED rope light.

love the lattice idea, I've been looking for a year for a solution. How are you going to attach it to the roof?

We plan to use it on the ground to out line the edge of yard. I have some U shaped metal rod that fits in the grove. I drilled holes through the grove, put the metal through and pushed them into the ground. I haven't given much thought how to attach them to a roof.

My issue with the lattice is that it expands A LOT in the sun. So then it warps because of so much expansion. I tried drilling slots in each of my 3+ mounting spots but it didn't help. Not sure how you would keep this stuff straight with it's expanding.

Also, when using two or more strings, the space gets filled very tight, and you often run into them not staying in. Zip ties every so often fixes that issue but becomes somewhat of a pain if you need to zip tie near a mounting screw as there's no room to get a zip tie behind the lattice and your house.

I'm going to C9 sized sockets this year, so the lattice won't work for me.

Guest Lightzilla

My issue with the lattice is that it expands A LOT in the sun. So then it warps because of so much expansion. I tried drilling slots in each of my 3+ mounting spots but it didn't help. Not sure how you would keep this stuff straight with it's expanding.

Also, when using two or more strings, the space gets filled very tight, and you often run into them not staying in. Zip ties every so often fixes that issue but becomes somewhat of a pain if you need to zip tie near a mounting screw as there's no room to get a zip tie behind the lattice and your house.

I'm going to C9 sized sockets this year, so the lattice won't work for me.

I would think that if I was to go this route then that issue with the lattice is that it expands A LOT in the sun wouldn't be an issue for me because of the extreme cold in winter......but would it crack in the extreme cold?

The idea is great but now that I have new siding up etc and no longer wood side how would you keep the lattice up without drilling holes into your vinyl siding?

I wonder if you could make a 10ft mini mega tree using these strips.......the lines would most differently be uniform, straight?

I shall look into this idea and see what else I can do with the lattice.

Great idea.