CDI 2009 LED M5 Samples

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Paul and John for the detailed fade-down specs. I hope these can get trimmed a little better, but it sounds like the would be at least usable. The green's the one that makes me the most nervous, and it's also a color I like to use a lot of...

-Tim

For those of you interested in seeing the fading and on/off performance for yourself, I made a little video of the samples vs. some 2008 50ct. M5's and a 50 ct. clear mini string.

The camera can't pickup all the subtleties but does a good enough job to see the major differences from string to string, color to color.

Video is here: (Warning it's about 4.5 MB)

http://www.paulbryanphoto.com/temp/CDI_LED.wmv

--Paul

For those of you interested in seeing the fading and on/off performance for yourself, I made a little video of the samples vs. some 2008 50ct. M5's and a 50 ct. clear mini string.

The camera can't pickup all the subtleties but does a good enough job to see the major differences from string to string, color to color.

Video is here: (Warning it's about 4.5 MB)

http://www.paulbryanphoto.com/temp/CDI_LED.wmv

--Paul

Thanks for doing this! I wanted to ask if someone would do a video, but stopped short since it seemed like it would be a lot of work. I appreciate your doing this!

This reinforces my notion that I hope the green and blue can be trimmed to be the same as the other colors... While this isn't a show-stopper for me, if I found other LED's of similar quality and price that didn't have this built-in decay, I would buy them instead...

-Tim

Edited by tfischer
you're -> your

I've been reading this thread since i like LEDs (in general) and always interested

in 'seeing' (reading about in this case LOL) what's new out there...

'heads up' and 'LEDs' are the first 2 forums i check ... LOL

I must say that some of the posts are very thorough as far as test results go...

Looks like allot of problems with these arise due to fading on/off

has anyone just plugged plugged a set in and let it run 24/7 to see if there are any

failures? or simple on/off (looks like the main problem there is capacitors holding

a charge)??

oh and just out of curiosity? how do you get on the beta test list? how much does

it cost?

has anyone just plugged plugged a set in and let it run 24/7 to see if there are any

failures? or simple on/off (looks like the main problem there is capacitors holding

a charge)??QUOTE]

The lights work well if used for static displays - left of 24/7. The decay time is a problem only if you are going to aminate your display where you may want very fast or precise on and off times. Like Tim has been saying, most people can tolerate a some decay time as long as the LED decay rate or slope is steep enough that it is perceived to be off in a short period of time. How short? Don't know for sure, but I would guess 30 to 50 milliseconds would be OK.

I'm curious how well this new design will fare once you plug a lot of strands into a single channel. There is a possibility that a threshold will be reached quickly where the capacitors within will cause the current phase and the voltage phase to be out of sync which will cause the triacs in the controller to not operate properly. It is this issue that renders the Action PAR-30 floods unable to be dimmed/ramped. I certainly hope these LED sets are not going that direction.

I don't think that will be a problem.

While I don't know the specific issues of those PAR30 lights that you mention, triacs are much more likely to have issues with inductive loading than capacitive loading. Second, for most of the AC cycle the diodes inside the light strings effectively disconnect the caps from the AC input line. It is something worth verifying, but most of the people sampling these lights only have one string of each color.

There is another issue that may affect a small number of users. The only people that I think will be affected are those using the original Lynx controller and any other controllers that are using high-voltage DC (rectified AC) to power the LEDs. The problem is that the voltage-doubled LEDs (like the samples of CDI 2009 M5 LED strings) do not work well with this type of controller. These lights rely on having approximately 340 VAC peak-to-peak (normally 110VAC RMS) as the input to the voltage doubler, and they do not work when supplied with DC (or with a power source with an AC component that is significantly less than 340V p-p). They appear very dim when used with this type of controller.

To repeat, this is only a problem when using voltage-doubled LED strings with certain types of controllers. The only controllers that are affected by this is one specific type of DIY controller, and AFAIK none of the commercial controllers are affected. My personal view is that this is not a defect in the design of either the controller nor the LED string, just an incompatability.

I know I said earlier that I'd just just quietly watch this thread from the sidelines. But, since I've got so much at stake here, I really, really need to ask one more question: Could one of you testers please pop open the plug on one of the 2009 prototype strings and read the marking on the diode? (The number will likely start with "1N" followed by four digits). Thanks.

I know I said earlier that I'd just just quietly watch this thread from the sidelines. But, since I've got so much at stake here, I really, really need to ask one more question: Could one of you testers please pop open the plug on one of the 2009 prototype strings and read the marking on the diode? (The number will likely start with "1N" followed by four digits). Thanks.

I couldn't read the whole number, but the last two digits are 07, so it is presumably a 1N4007. This agrees with what someone else posted earlier in this thread.

I couldn't read the whole number, but the last two digits are 07, so it is presumably a 1N4007...

Thank you, pshort. I just wanted to be sure the new strings are using a diode with a reverse voltage greater than the voltage generated by the doubler. A 1N4007 (Vr=1000v) makes me happy. Thanks.

Anymore news on the 2009 lights? Dad and I have 17,000 2007 cdi's out now and I hope there is a big difference in the new ones. These are not so hot. I am still having some fail, They are so noisy you can hear them when you are dimming. They also put so much noise on the powerline you can see faint flickering on channels that are not on.

Having to live with it this year but trying to figure out what to do going forward. I was hoping someone would test these issues on the 2009 versions and let us know how they do. I think the voltage doubler is a bad idea, at least if you need to dim them.

RJ

Anymore news on the 2009 lights? Dad and I have 17,000 2007 cdi's out now and I hope there is a big difference in the new ones. These are not so hot. I am still having some fail, They are so noisy you can hear them when you are dimming. They also put so much noise on the powerline you can see faint flickering on channels that are not on.

Having to live with it this year but trying to figure out what to do going forward. I was hoping someone would test these issues on the 2009 versions and let us know how they do. I think the voltage doubler is a bad idea, at least if you need to dim them.

RJ

Do you mean the 2008 cdi's LEDs?

I understand the 2007 model were fantastic.

RJ

Ah yes, the good ole days when LEDs were simple and worked with controllers. I wish the LED lights of 2007 were back :(. If Paul could just go with that company/design again, I would pay extra to have reliable strands like those from 2007.

Yet another year/season for any hope my dream/display to come true...

I hope 2009 is better.

Tom

Ah yes, the good ole days when LEDs were simple and worked with controllers. I wish the LED lights of 2007 were back :(. If Paul could just go with that company/design again, I would pay extra to have reliable strands like those from 2007.

Yet another year/season for any hope my dream/display to come true...

I hope 2009 is better.

Tom

That just may happen! I'm sending out new samples from Innovalite on Monday to five of the testers. We will see what they have to say, but I am talking to the old factory for quotes.