Snowflakes in Motion.....

mmstidham

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally got mine. Like everyone said, they are very nice. Probably too nice for today's throw-a-way consumer. Too late to use this year (might stake a few around the yard). Will make a nice rooftop addition next year, just need to come up with a stand to prop them up.

I used a Hammer Drill with expensive drill bits. I made the mistake of using buying cheap ones first and blew 2 in the process.

I then used Tapcon Concrete Screws

tapcon-screw-lg2.jpg

BTW, I had never used these screws before and I wished I had watched the how to video before using them. I know it sounds stupid to watch a how to video for putting in a screw....but it would have helped and saved time. The video is here

• 3 weeks later...

I just went through today's mail and had a hand written note and a dvd from Jack and Laura's display for 2008. This is the type of thing that I value most. They aren't some mega store or distributor and their products are absolutely first class. For them to take the time and money to priority mail me a thank you and dvd tells you all you need to know about the class of people they are.

Merry Christmas Jack and Laura. I'll continue to spread the word on your product and pick a few more up for myself.

• 8 months later...

Finally got mine. Like everyone said, they are very nice. Probably too nice for today's throw-a-way consumer. Too late to use this year (might stake a few around the yard). Will make a nice rooftop addition next year, just need to come up with a stand to prop them up.

Dave, I'm interested in adding these to my rooftop as well. Have you made a stand for these yet? If so, how did you do it? Thx!

Anyone have any pictures of these with LED's in them? Just curious how they look. Thx!

Too early for us procrastinators. I was thinking of taking 2 2x4x2 and cutting one end of each at an angle (45 ish) and screwing together to make a V. Then take a 2x4x2 and cut an angle on the long width to match the pitch of the roof and fasten to the V. I am thinking the V will be inverted. This might place the weight too far back. Other thoughts include making an X or a T as the base. Now were is my dado cutter?

I need to build a few to test them out. My goal is to be able to place them on the roof without actually fastening.

If anyone else has any ideas, please share.

We used these on our roof last year.

My husband attached inexpensive metal shelving brackets to the back of the snowflakes using the existing center screw and bent them to match the slope of the roof. We then weighted them down with sandbags made with doubled up Ziploc 2 gallon freezer bags filled halfway with sand.

They did not tip over or slide even during several really good windstorms.

Lisa

I emailed to see if they still had any and got the same response as above. They have plenty and the price is still 12 / $65 (shipping incl). I asked if the plugs could be stacked and YES, they can. Looks like I can have a "S" row of snowflakes down my tree trunk this year. Or maybe just hang them with my icicles.

Mine just arrived. I echo everyone else's comments: They are definitely heavy duty, and come OVER packaged.

Well, maybe I shouldn't say that: The one corner of my case box was destroyed and taped back together (by I assume the Post Office - they came parcel post). While the inner box has seen some better days, the Styrofoam around the snowflake protected it wonderfully. 0 damage.

They are a bit smaller than I imagined - but then again most things to me are when I receive them.

They would definitely look great as a set of chasers - like the 'S' shaped drop someone posted, or across a lawn on stakes.

At nearly $20 for postage, the true cost of these things are $45/12 or $3.75 each - a steal. Even with the shipping they come out to $5.42 which is still a great value. I may order a 2nd case!

I recieved mine the other day also and agree completly with Mike. I was thinking of the S chase, but may just add them to the homemade flakes on my roof. I have them in a cascading chase and since these are smaller will compliment the existing ones nicely.

Mine are for the roof, too. Last year when taking stuff down, I busted one set of my snowflakes that go over the garage. I'm going to combine a couple of these, with the 2 remaining sets to have a big/small effect going on.

Linda--

According to the box, a case of 12 weighs in 26.5 lbs (12 kg) gross, 21 lbs (9.5 kg) net. The case is 30"x15"x30 (76x38x76 cm).

Each snowflake in its box is approximately 15" x 15" x 2.5" (38x38x6.5 cm) and weighs 1.6 lbs (725 g).

Without the box, each is 14x14x1.75 (35x35x4.5 cm) and weighs 14 oz (390 g).

If you want some, let me know. I'll be your state-side buyer! :D

Update: Ordered 12 on Thursday (17th) and got them in today (22nd.) The flakes are really nice and sturdy looking. Be sure to read the back of the flake package, says you can only stack 3 plugs together and to NOT plug them into any other light item and do NOT plug any other light item into the flakes! Shouldn't be much different than any other light string with a flasher bulb. Anybody tried this?

Edited by decoRator

Update: Ordered 12 on Thursday (17th) and got them in today (22nd.) The flakes are really nice and sturdy looking. Be sure to read the back of the flake package, says you can only stack 3 plugs together and to NOT plug them into any other light item and do NOT plug any other light item into the flakes! Shouldn't be much different than any other light string with a flasher bulb. Anybody tried this?

IMHO, it's Lawyerspeak. They're just looking to make sure there are no liability issues. That is not saying you should stack all 12 plugs, but I would treat them like any other 50 count light set.

Linda--

According to the box, a case of 12 weighs in 26.5 lbs (12 kg) gross, 21 lbs (9.5 kg) net. The case is 30"x15"x30 (76x38x76 cm).

Each snowflake in its box is approximately 15" x 15" x 2.5" (38x38x6.5 cm) and weighs 1.6 lbs (725 g).

Without the box, each is 14x14x1.75 (35x35x4.5 cm) and weighs 14 oz (390 g).

If you want some, let me know. I'll be your state-side buyer! :D

Thanks Mike.

I will contact you later. We are planning to make a trip over the pond next year.