Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Jason Rose

Gemmy 12 channel light show, chat and videos.

Probably not because I have no idea on how to do that. Is there a direction you could point me in to check it out?

It's really fairly simple, once you understand how a relay works. You have to be sure that they use 120 volts AC control - many (most?) use 3 - 24 volts dc for control. You have to look for them. But, you basically hook the relays in place of the existing plug receptacles (or, as the thread below shows, just plug them into the existing receptacles), and they can drive typically 5 amps instead of one. Here's one thread that talks quite a bit about it:

Relays for Gemmy's

Also, follow the links in Jason's signature...one talks about the music

I'm sure there are more, and even this thread has some info, if you start at the very beginning, if I recall. Also, do a search, you might find a lot more info.

Roger

Edited by 51fordf2

Hmmm...that's a little intimidating to me. I'm sure I'll try to mess around and see if I can figure it out, but trying anything electrical makes me very nervous.

Thanks for the info.

They aren't intimidating, once you understand them at all. They just take a low current signal, and use it to close a "switch" that will handle a high current.

Do a google search on relays, you'll find ALL kinds of information. There's really only a couple connections. It might look scary, but it really isn't, and there's not any "magic" involved.

Roger

Sorry for digging up an old thread, but figured the people who posted in here might have the best answers.

I have been toying with the idea of buying one Gemmy's but wanted to know if it was possible to hook it up to an fm transmitter.

I would prefer hook this up to an ipod and broadcast the music over radio. Does anybody know if this is possible?

I have been thinking of getting 1 too.From what I understand you can hook up to the fm transmitter.Somebody on ebay is selling the light show & I questioned him about it.Will have to locate the info & will pm you on it.Still confused about it all too :giggle: .

I bought one of these in Nov. 2008 at Sams Club. I put about 9-10k lights on it. I had to change the fuse to a larger fuse to handle all the lights. Here is a video(Audio is terrible, all i had where the built on speakers playing and I was in the neighbors yard recording). Its nothing fantastic and the choreography is terribly random but it was fun to have something other than static.

hi

not sure if this has been covered but i have the 4 strands of gemmy lights that change colors and do a show on their own without music and seem to do very well. when i purchased the music box the comes with the extra outlet box and speaker i get only one color out of the lights. seems odd to me because all 4 strands blink green and it seems to be way off in timing.

the strands are connected to one another and there is one plug that is connected to the box. do i need to plug each strand in it's own outlet for this to work or is the box defective?

please help because gmmy is not responding

As soon as your lights "blink" they have been switched off. When they come back on, the sequence originally programmed into the lights starts over from the beginning. That's why you only see one color. Don't mix the programmed strings with the Gemmy lightshow box. Not what you wanted to hear, but at least it explains what happened.

Right. You can't plug lights that already have a 'controler' on them, like the gemmy lights do, into the gemmy lights and sounds controler. you will need to run your gemmy lights seperate from the gemmy box.

Right. You can't plug lights that already have a 'controler' on them, like the gemmy lights do, into the gemmy lights and sounds controler. you will need to run your gemmy lights seperate from the gemmy box.

basically what you guys are saying is that the lightshow box was not made for the gemmy lights that have controllers? then how can i make the gemmy lights move with the music?

I finally got off my butt and got my lights out, I purchased a 12 channel gemmy last year from sam's club for 12$. I also have a stack of brand new led light strings to go up.

Has anyone figured out how to mod the gemmy so the pc can control it?

This will be my first animated light show christmas, Should be a fun experience. I am already planning next years display where I'll be ditching the gemmy *unless there is a pc control mod for it*

Ditto. If you want computer control, the gemmy isn't it.

However, I've seen a video where a kid actually tore apart a Mr. Christmas box and used the ssr's inside with LOR. Pretty impressive to say the least, and a good use for an unused controller if you know how to make something like that work.

basically what you guys are saying is that the lightshow box was not made for the gemmy lights that have controllers? then how can i make the gemmy lights move with the music?

You cannot. You must use plain ordinary lights that don't blink. The Gemmy Lightshow makes them blink!:santasmileyitty:

Ditto. If you want computer control, the gemmy isn't it.

However, I've seen a video where a kid actually tore apart a Mr. Christmas box and used the ssr's inside with LOR. Pretty impressive to say the least, and a good use for an unused controller if you know how to make something like that work.

yeah, I placed my order last night for 4 renard ss16 pcb's. Next christmas will be computer controlled.

Guest jcsarmy

I finally got off my butt and got my lights out, I purchased a 12 channel gemmy last year from sam's club for 12$. I also have a stack of brand new led light strings to go up.

Has anyone figured out how to mod the gemmy so the pc can control it?

This will be my first animated light show christmas, Should be a fun experience. I am already planning next years display where I'll be ditching the gemmy *unless there is a pc control mod for it*

Well you want to get your money back out of your gemmy. It'll probally be a couple years before I jump to LOR , but I did build a 12ft static tree this year. Going to try my handat a 20ft in 2010. Anyhow call/text 573-300-1785 or MSG me back if you want to sell your gemmy?

Here is my link to what I did with the Gemmy Lightshow and 3 SSR's.

I'd say you definately did very well with the Gemmy! That's pretty impressive for that store bought controler. On a side note, I've heard those gemmy songs so many times they sound like fingernails on a chalkboard to be now! I used mine for 2 years, once on my front display and the 2nd on my back display. I never did have everything controled with it, I just had my ground stuff on it and the house lights were static.

Geeze I inspired all of that? wow! Now I feel like a bum for switching over to LOR... That's the funny thing, some look at the "canned" controlers and think "that's no big deal, put up lights and plug them in" Because with a "real" computerized show you have hours of time and creativity in all the programing. But honestly it's a LOT of work to make the Gemmy or the Mr. Christmas boxes do a big display like that. I had as many cords running all over with my Gemmy, trying to connect multiple things to each channel, as I do with LOR with one item per channel. Of course being able to centerally locate controlers as needed is nice, versus the gemmy where you are stuck with 2 locations, and not very far apart at that.

I love the LOR setup, but I honestly have to hire my programming done. Thats all just way over my head to be able to sequence each channel to music. I can do all the rest (putting up the lights, wiring, and so on...) It's just the actual sequencing that boggles my mind! That's what I loved about the gemmy and LASOC. I jsut wish they did a better job actually controling the individual channels to the music.