Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Jeffrey

New York Display Directory...

Not sure if this has been done before or not but I thought it'd be nice to get an idea of where some of the displays are in NY.

Our display is located in Maine, NY which is near Binghamton, NY. A Google Maps link is given at http://www.MaineLights.org .

We officially don't go live until Thanksgiving Evening but if you are in the area and it's dark out feel free to stop by... I'll turn 'em on for you. ;)

-Jeff

Wow, three of us in all of New York! Wow I feel proud to be in such a small minority. ;)

Our lights are almost all up now. There are a couple more 10' trees to erect and them we will be done with the lights for 2008. After that, I have 14 blow ups to place in the neighbors field and then we are done!

I can't wait to be honest because last weekend I worked on the display Sat-Tues 7am - 7pm and so far this weekend I've been going from 7am to 7pm Sat-Sun.

So... any other New Yorkers going to post?

-Jeff

Wow Jeffrey, how many lights do you put up? We are planning about 25,000 + this year. I did my roof lights last night but the rest waits until the saturday after Thanksgiving. With our yearly vacation Dec. 3 thru 7th this year, our lights probably won't go live until the 8th. We used to go live the sunday before we left and the neighbors would keep an eye on our display. But this year with the addition of LOR, I didn't feel comfortable leaving things run by themselves. Some of the static stuff will be on timers though.

Starting the build of my new mega tree today. I just ordered the pipe and am going out for the fittings in a little bit.

I still have to build two more arches and two mini trees.

Scott

I lost count but I know we had ~35,000 lights after last years clearance sales and I used all of the Red and Gold lights we had and I had to buy more from people here and at the LOR forums. ;) So I'd say 35,000-40,000 would be a decent guess.

TheHouse-2008.jpg

That's the current picture as of last night but it doesn't include the tree in front or the arches(both are to the left of the above picture). We also have 2 more ~10ft trees to put up near the driveway and that will be all. ;) Everything has the three colors of Silver, Gold and Red.

-Jeff

I live in Brooklyn, NY...

I didn't take any videos last year but I found this video on youtube that someone took of my house. I didn't start setting up for this year yet.

Jeff, that looks great! I hope to get to that level someday.

Romar, I saw your display on TV didn't I? I love it!

Here is what our place looked like last year...

2007_lights_1.jpg

WOW!!

You guys have such beautiful displays and houses. Very tasteful and classy. You make me proud to be a fellow New Yorker.

Yes, last year our display was shown on TLC and HGTV. Glad you saw it...

Yep, I remember seeing your display on TV Romar, awesome! And your display look great Scott. I love how you put those trees between the arches, looks great when everything is on like that.

-Jeff

Here is what our place looked like last year...

Beautiful, simply beautiful. Tell me about your arches and the little trees. I showed my wife and she said that's exactly what she wants in our yard.

Gary

I'm glad you all liked our display! Actually I'm honored.

Gary,

The arches are 3/4" schedule 40 PVC cut to 108". Each one is held in place by 2' pieces of rebar pounded 1/2 way into the ground at an angle. (I made a jig to be consistent) The PVC just slides over the rebar.

Each arch has 1000 bulbs. 5 segments with 100 amber and 100 red in each segment. All are wired seperately to be used for animation (this year if I don't completely run out of time) I left 4" on each end to keep the lights off the ground.

The trees are made from wreath hangers available at garden centers. They look like an a-frame. We use the bigger of the two common sizes. Each tree is wrapped in 300 green and 300 red lights.

This year we are adding two more arches to make them wrap around the yard. It will look like a staple shape with one arch on each end and 5 across the front. We are also adding two more trees to finish it out. PLUS, a mega tree where the carousel is in last years picture. (If I can manage to pull it all off)

If you need any more specific info feel free to ask.

Scott

WOW Jeffery you really stepped it up from last year. Looks really good i guess i need to step up my display. For the last 5 years i was the only one within an 90 minute drive that had a synchronized display. If you don't mind i will be in the Bingamton area in the next 2 weeks so if a fat guy in glasses stops by ( NOT SANTA) that will be me. I will make sure i tell all my friends in that area to go check it out.

Thanks for stopping by Rick, it was great talking to another "Light Nut" in person. ;)

Just wanted to add that our display is up and running nightly now. To anyone stopping by, feel free to stop in to "chat lights" and have a cup of coffee or maybe some Hot Cocoa. coffee2.gif

Happy Holidays,

Jeff

Our display is located on Lower Stella Ireland Road in Binghamton, NY.

We are about 5 miles away from Jeff's display. We are a static display and we are two weekends away from having everything up and running. I know....many of you are saying why so late? It has been a long tradition to have all the lights up and working 1 full week before Christmas. Of course we burn what we already have up but the "show" doesn't start until 1 week before Christmas.

Jeff - we were going to stop up and see your display last night but we figured with the rain you might not be running the show.

Yeah, it was a no-show last night. The rain wasn't too bad but up here on the hill it was starting to ice over slightly so we didn't want to take any chances with people on the road.

If you do stop by, be sure to park in the driveway to really enjoy the show. The road is supposed to be a 35MPH zone at the top of the hill but people don't really follow that. :(

Our family *LOVES* your display btw. We always stop by to see Santa. ;)

-Jeff

Auburn, NY is in the house. 20 Miles west of Syracuse. 45,000+ LEDS on 288 channels. You can visit us on the web at www.atkinschristmas.com

Check out the Photos and Videos Page, we recieved national and international attention this year not just the usual local news out of Syracuse