Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Bill V

Displays in VA

I think it would be really cool to somehow put together a statewide list of displays. Anyone interested?

Just signing back on for the first time this season. It'd be nice to do something like this. I'm located on the bay in Deltaville, VA. Of course, you have all the displays on the Tacky Light Tour in Richmond, and I'm sure the valley, Hampton Roads, and Northern Virginia all have plenty of displays...

STEPHEN you are not far from me. I have a smaller display in Gloucester. I am not Danny Joyce. yes I get asked that alot. I am aiming to add LOR to mine this year. If the sequencing doesn't beat me up first. I have ordered the house on Christmas street sequence to help me out a little. I have no idea how many lights I have anymore. I used to know but lost count somewhere.

I am interested in finding the displays in Virginia. I would be willing to list mine. Where and What do we do Bill?? I am coming to see yours and Andy's Thanksgiving weekend if you give me your address with some directions. I have the GPS but it can get you lost too. I got lost going to the mini this year and had to call for the directions. I was across the street from it. LOL

Lightitup,

At least GPS got you close. I still get a chuckle out of you calling to see where we were holding the mini and I looked and saw you over at the church. Look forward to seeing you again. I usually light up on Sat of Thanksgiving weekend. Of course if you are coming on Friday I will work a little harder to be ready.

Andy

well I wouldn't want you to work harder. We can do Hampton Roads and then go to ya'll the second weekend in December. We are planning a two weekend tour of lights. LOL

Hey Lightitup,

The way things are going around here health wise and weather wise the second weekend in Dec. might work best. I'm shooting for Thanksgiving night but it's looking more like the 1st of Dec. Shoot a pm my way when you plan on coming and I'll give you all the info or you could just head north on I95 and look for the glow on the horizon. This might be my last year over the top so I'm pulling out all the stops.

165,000 lights

512 channels

242 wireframes

430 strobes

and just enough power to pull this insanity off.

Well my typical lights on is on or about 12/1 - traditionally I prep and begin work the weekend before Thanksgiving, do most major setup over Thanksgiving break, and do final tweaking the final weekend (In years past I've been in college in Richmond, and now that I live full time in the city I still have to schedule my display construction around being home). Unfortunatly this has been a major reason why my 3 LOR boards have been used for nothing but "experiments" in controlling the display. Maybe one of these years I'll actually be able to sit down and get it all sorted out and actually have an animated display, but 50,000 lights in little ole Deltaville draws enough talk as it is!

Where are you at in Gloucester? Nearer the courthouse or the point?

2 miles from Saluda line stephen. I am in Lee's Neck Farm. Not too far from you. I saw your display last year I think. Is it at that place of business in Deltaville. I think it was a realtors office. Can't remember exactly where it was but I do remember the display.

Bill I hope to be there Dec. 13th as the granddaughters other grandparents are coming in for Thanksgiving from Texas. I hear you with all this rain I will be lucky to have mine on by Thanksgiving weekend. I may be putting the display together that weekend if the weather doesn't get much better. I think I have maybe two more years with my display so I know where your coming from.

I can't wait to see it this year. I will send ya'll up there a PM Friday before I leave here. Good luck with getting it all up without blowing up Virginia Power. I do have a generator that can run my display if you do cause a power outage in Virginia. LOL

I am in Roanoke, VA and this will be my third year of computer controlled lights. My display has just about doubled in size with each year. I am up to over 31,000 lights which almost half of them are LED. Doing my first MegaTree this year and looking forward to seeing it go, set it up this past weekend and it looks sweet. Hope to get out and see some of the displays that are not too far away from me this year. If all goes well I will turning them on Dec. 1st. The show will run nightly from 5:30pm till 10:30pm. I wish you all a merry Christmas and good luck with your shows. :)www.starcitylights.com

Specs:

31,000+ lights

112 channels

6 or 7 songs

Edited by rdmehd

I think it would be really cool to somehow put together a statewide list of displays. Anyone interested?

I'm in Sterling off of Algonkian Pkwy and have a small display with 48 channels of LOR this year. I don't broadcast our address due to concerns over excessive traffic (like Juniper Drive) but don't have a problem sharing it with other PC'ers. Its a small but growing display and I need to add a sub-panel so I can expand it some.

Cheers

Chris in VA

http://www.oxbowmanor.com

I'm just north of Richmond in Henrico County (Lakeside) and I've got 50000 this year, plus wireframes, blowmolds, minitrees, etc, etc, etc, in the smallest lot I've ever seen on PC. (except for the balcony guy!) I think I've got the smallest yard on the Tacky Tour as well. :D

I've been lighting up since 1999, and part of the reason I bought the house was that the guy I bought it from lit it up as weel. It was great to move into a house where the outdoor electricity was already set up! I expanded what was originally here, and now I've got 120 amps strictly for lights!

We light up on Black Friday, with our light up party on Saturday the 29th this year.

WOW

Bill V.

thats all I could say as we were sitting outside of your house , simply awesome display. thanks for the entertainment and we may be back this year and definitely will be back next year from over in southern MD

WOW

Bill V.

thats all I could say as we were sitting outside of your house , simply awesome display. thanks for the entertainment and we may be back this year and definitely will be back next year from over in southern MD

Thanks Tony,

I see your incorporating SSR's with your lights and sounds- you'll have to stop in and check out my SSR monstrosity next visit.

Bill

You can add me in Richmond. Lor user with 288 channels, over 150,000 lights, a Z-tree, 2 mega trees, 5 inflatables, 150 strobes, 8-10 foot leapers, 8-20 foot arches and 6-8 foot arches. About 10,000 of my lights are LED

I know that display! The tree is amazing (As is everything else). We're making our belated Tacky Tour either late tonight or sometime tomorrow night and it's one of our "can't miss" stops. Great display!

Thanks Tony,

I see your incorporating SSR's with your lights and sounds- you'll have to stop in and check out my SSR monstrosity next visit.

Bill

Bill, I hope to see you tonight

P.S. to everyone in Virginia. My original ID was Richmondlightshow it was too long and I somehow lost it in one of the PC upgrades. I