Help With Two Digit Display

Hi,

I need help for a project I am working on, I purchased a small two digit display from a surplus store. It has the display board the part with the "88" the it is connected to a small ciruit board. The board has five wires coming from it. Two black on one side and then two red and a yellow coming from the other. I am wondering how to connect the wires to make this display work or if I need some sort of controller.

Sorry about the discription.

Thanks,

CMurray

post-4801-129571080821_thumb.jpg

post-4801-129571080835_thumb.jpg

Edited by cmurray
Add Pictures

The board probably has the display drivers on it from the pictures. There are four chips, two are probably counters and two are the 7 segment display drivers. Without seeing the schematic or the detail of the traces on the board it is hard to tell which wires are which. I would suspect that two of the wires are for power and two of the wires are to send a counter pulse to the on board counters on the board (one wire for each counter). The fifth wire is probably for an enable/disable of the displays.

If you can have someone familiar with digital circuits look at the board in detail, they can probably trace the wires.

Yes, you definitely need to trace out the circuit (or find someone to do it for you). Looking at what's on the board, I'm guessing that the two red wires plus the yellow were meant to connect to a center-tapped transformer winding of a suitable voltage for input power, while the two black wires are probably count and reset or something along those lines. Only identifying the chips and tracing out the circuit will tell you for sure.

Thanks for the Replys,

I figured I had nothing to lose and just played around with the board, and you were all correct the two black wires are the reset and the yellow and red are to count with. I don't know what the other red wire is for but, this will work in my "Days To Christmas" Sign with just the four wires.

Thanks again for everyones help.

CMurray