Santa is flying THANKS to you all

Guest Blowmold Magic

Guest A.F.NUT

Where did you find such an awesome set??

Is that one set or did you add reindeer?

LOVE IT!

The sleigh and 2 deer I purchased from a landscaping supplier of mine that went out of buisness and 4 came from 2 different antiqe stores rudolph came from the salvation army and to finish it the last 2 from ebay. I repainted them all if you would have seen them before you would have thought they were garbage most had no paint left on them. Which is why I didnt feel too bad about repainting them.Im glad you like it im very pleased with it. Tom

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the reply Tom. I'm still deciding on which 2 trees they are going to hang on. If it ever stops raining here, I'll have to measure it out to make sure I can fit over 30 feet of blow molds. My 6 Y.O. son wants to hang them as high as yours. I told him that will never happen, it's waayyy too high! LOL

-Jim

I just dug out my 6 reindeer that are already drilled from former owner. I picked up a 7th recently. I have rudolph, I guess #8 will come from my new stock

Also found the wire....3 pieces - not very long

I bought wire last year, so I just need to make connections

But since my big Oak is being taken down I'm not sure where to run them now

But I need to order 4 sets of antlers from General Foam

I'm also ordering some other spare parts - carrot nose, pipes & glasses. Plus some electric cords - I need about 4-5 dozen C-7 setups

I am going to find a way to do it without drilling.

I just run the cable under Santa's waving arm, it doesn't hang perfectly vertical but it's close enough where nobody's ever noticed it doesn't. Then I hang the reindeer from the cable by just wrapping a little wire around their heads and wiring them to the cable. The cable ends up passing right over the middle of the top of their heads between the antlers.

I clamp near Santa's arm in back and at Rudolph's head at the front and nothing between moves as the reins hold them. So compared to drilling I lose about a foot or so of height since my guys are hanging lower compared to where the cable is in the drilling method, but I didn't have to put any holes in the molds. I think I have a little paint wear on the underside of Santa's waving hand, but I haven't noticed any chafing of the reindeer. 6 GF's, 2 Poloron's, 1 GV Rudolph.

This year I'll be trying 3 wires and having the reindeer in parallel. Center wire - Santa and Rudolph, Left wire - 4 reindeer, Right wire - 4 reindeer

Edited by Lilly Strat
  • 1 month later...

I didn't really end up needing the 3 wires since I didn't end up setting up the reindeer as a parallel team, when it came down to it I didn't want to give up the overall length of having them in a series. I ran the 3 lines anyway. The reindeer heads are wired to the big wire right above them, and Santa just has the wire running under his arm. I didn't end up clamping Santa's arm to the wire like usual, I just tied the sleigh runners to a nearby tree with a piece of string.

post-3408-129571101057_thumb.jpg

post-3408-129571101068_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lilly Strat
Guest A.F.NUT

I am happy to say that mine handled the wing perfectly we have had some fierce winds, sunday was the worst and some right now, I actually went out tonight and saw the sleigh allmost sideways but not a single one flipped over or anything. I think I got the holes in the right places. Everyone told me I was crazy, it will never work, Why cant you put it on the ground like a normal person, My friend who helped me hang it called tonight actually, to see if it pulled the chimney off the house yet still in disbelief that it worked. Im glad I tried it. The kids loved it. I think it was the highlight of this years display, now I have to figure out how im going to store the thing. Tom

• 9 months later...

I thought I would bump this up, For those wanting to attrempt it. I had some questions from others on it. It worked out so well last year! Cant wait to get them back up in the air! Tom

Tom,

I'm so excited about setting mine up too.Your advice awhile back really made doing this project easier on our minds.

I do have another question for ya though.

Can you tell me how far down the neck & rear end :giggle: did you drill your holes?We have just about everything we will need to do this but have not got to the drilling part yet.

Also a measurement for the sleigh hole too PLEASE :)

I know we will love having them fly instead of just on the ground.

THANKS!

Guest A.F.NUT

Ok the drilling part is easy! On the front hole rest the bottom of the tape on the leg and measure up 4 1/2 '' on the back hole put your tape on the white part of the tail where it meets the body and measure 1'' down. Most importantly get your hole centered on the seam. On your sleigh use the one hole thats already there. I just used my eye to see where it looked level for the other hole. I cant tell what hole was there and what I drilled if you tell me what end was drilled. I can try to give you the area where I drilled basicly its just centered in the area. You will be so happy you did this! its a lot of fun and it looks great! Tom

Guest A.F.NUT

I'm glad you bumped it, otherwise I might have never found it. It looks awesome! I printed a picture for my "things I need to do file/pile."

Your welcome! I know theres another one floating around here, with a lot of information that helped me out last year. I dont have good luck with the search feature! Tom

They look good. I'm setting mine up this weekend for flight. I have young trees around my home and no chance of connecting them to the neighbors house. I was thinking about hanging on side on the house and the other down to a support of some kind but I haven't been able to figure that out yet.

I'm going to go side-by-side with mine.

Any suggestions on options for connecting the other end? I'm thinking they will look cool if they look like they are taking off.

Guest A.F.NUT

They look good. I'm setting mine up this weekend for flight. I have young trees around my home and no chance of connecting them to the neighbors house. I was thinking about hanging on side on the house and the other down to a support of some kind but I haven't been able to figure that out yet.

I'm going to go side-by-side with mine.

Any suggestions on options for connecting the other end? I'm thinking they will look cool if they look like they are taking off.

I think if you strung them all together attached one end to the house and drove a two by four at an angle deep into the ground you could attach the cable to it and have the sleigh sitting on the ground with the deer taking off. Put an artificial tree over the post. Tom

• 3 weeks later...