Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready??? Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.

Lighting "ceremony"

I wanted to give the other thread in here some Company! LOL! :D:rolleyes:

And I would like to give an invitation to anyone in or around the Boise Idaho area an opportunity to join us for the first lighting of the season at our display. You will also get a peak at the decorations inside as well.

This is the first time in three years we have been able to Go ALL Out and do EVERYTHING - due to recent construciton.

The address is 322 GArden St, Boise, ID. 83705

two blocks east of the Franklin/Orchard Intersection- on the south side of Franklin.

We will flip the switch at 5:30pm (tentative for now)

On Friday, November 28th; The day after Thanksgiving.

I am also trying to get a Santa Clause set up for our regular open house event(s) on December 6th and/or 13th.

My name is Renee and I will be the one bouncing around! :o

*giggles*

Hi Renee, Welcome to PC! I will not be able to make your lighting cerimony because I will be having my own, but thanks for the invite! Come and see my house when you have a chance. Directions are at christmasinboise.com. Good luck and we will come see your house later.:D

Another one here in Meridian checking in. I am actually a newbie to the computerized (LOR) light show, but I have been messing with the store-bought systems (Lights and Sounds of Christmas, and a Noma 6 channel unit before that). Started kind of late with a 16 channel LOR and will hopefully have everything up and running soon after Thanksgiving. I am already wanting to pick up another 16 channel, but will need to wait until next year. My hands are full with preparing for 16 channels as it is.

Would love to drive by everyone's display at some point, so please post directions to your displays!

Hi Renee, Welcome to PC! I will not be able to make your lighting cerimony because I will be having my own, but thanks for the invite! Come and see my house when you have a chance. Directions are at christmasinboise.com. Good luck and we will come see your house later.:D

Roger -

I actually was told about your display by my wife's boss, Jed Manwaring. He found out I was jumping into the computerized display and he said I had to drive by and check out your setup. His son Benson drew me out a map and low and behold I find your website on here. Small world!

Definately, I hope everyone can put up directions and show times.

I am gonna make a night of it and go around and see as many as I can.

Mine is at 322 Garden St. The EASIEST way to get there is to get to the Franklin/Orchard intersection. (Fred Meyers and the CHF furniture store are on these corners.)

Turn East and go exactly two blocks to S. Garden. Turn Right (south) and you will see the lights (2 blocks).

The neighbors decided to decorate EVERYTHING at their house with Multi colored minis so BOTH sides of the road are well LIT!

LOL! :D

oh - keep in mind, we are still doing an Open house on December 13th starting at 5:30 pm and running to 8 or 9 - depending how many people show up. If you would Like to see all the decorations inside, that is the day.

We also decided to give any/ALL Donations to WICAP (Western Idaho Community Action Partnership) -- food, clothing, toys, electronics, whatever ya got. The open house is of course free to "attend."

More About WICAP<---Link

I wanted to give the other thread in here some Company! LOL! :D:rolleyes:

And I would like to give an invitation to anyone in or around the Boise Idaho area an opportunity to join us for the first lighting of the season at our display. You will also get a peak at the decorations inside as well.

This is the first time in three years we have been able to Go ALL Out and do EVERYTHING - due to recent construciton.

The address is 322 GArden St, Boise, ID. 83705

two blocks east of the Franklin/Orchard Intersection- on the south side of Franklin.

We will flip the switch at 5:30pm (tentative for now)

On Friday, November 28th; The day after Thanksgiving.

I am also trying to get a Santa Clause set up for our regular open house event(s) on December 6th and/or 13th.

My name is Renee and I will be the one bouncing around! :o

*giggles*

Good luck with your party. It sounds like a fun time. I'd like to attend but I'm a little too far away. Please post video of you bouncing around as soon as the party's over.:D

I've been having a lot of technical difficulties!:mad: Hope fully I will have everything going by this weekend. I am running a partial show now, but have much more to come by the end of the week. You can find directions to my house @ christmasinboise.com.:D

Roger -

I actually was told about your display by my wife's boss, Jed Manwaring. He found out I was jumping into the computerized display and he said I had to drive by and check out your setup. His son Benson drew me out a map and low and behold I find your website on here. Small world!

Tell Jed I said hello! They are regulars at my display. I hope that you have fun setting up your house. It is a lot of work, but well worth it in the end!

I've been having a lot of technical difficulties!:mad: Hope fully I will have everything going by this weekend. I am running a partial show now, but have much more to come by the end of the week. You can find directions to my house @ christmasinboise.com.:D

Hey Roger! Nice Picture and write up in the Idaho Statesman!!!!

http://www.idahostatesman.com/397/gallery/589839.html

Looks like our friend in Meridian also got a lil of that Top Billing too!

http://www.idahostatesman.com/397/gallery/589839-a589847-t2.html

Hey Roger! Nice Picture and write up in the Idaho Statesman!!!!

http://www.idahostatesman.com/397/gallery/589839.html

Looks like our friend in Meridian also got a lil of that Top Billing too!

http://www.idahostatesman.com/397/gallery/589839-a589847-t2.html

Thanks!:o My wife put that in there. It is funny, she absolutley hates my light show, but she will make me take pictures, then she will send them in!

My display is STILL not even complete yet!:mad: MERRY CHRISTMAS!

How was your opening? I have been so frantic with my diplay that I have not gone out at all yet.

Tomorrow night ,December 6th, is the night!:D My fingers are crossed!

Hey Roger,

I stopped by on Saturday night for a while and.... just so you know.....

I WAS AMAZED!

AWED!

ASTOUNDED!

and sooooooooooooooo HAPPY I got to witness your display in person!

OMG!!! Folks, I cannot tell you how special his display is!! The lights are absolutely amazing and the shows are well timed.

What I Loved was listening to your "Announcer" and the jokes, Facts, and introductions to the songs. It made the experience SO MUCH more personal and Fun to listen too! Especially your, "Top Ten Reasons..." lol.. even my daughter got a kick out of that.

Thank goodness your cul-de-sac turn around is so big--- people were lining up and parking in the center to watch the show! LOL!

KUDOS to you my friend, you have done an AMAZING job and are a blessing to our community!

Merry Christmas!

Hey Roger,

I stopped by on Saturday night for a while and.... just so you know.....

I WAS AMAZED!

AWED!

ASTOUNDED!

and sooooooooooooooo HAPPY I got to witness your display in person!

OMG!!! Folks, I cannot tell you how special his display is!! The lights are absolutely amazing and the shows are well timed.

What I Loved was listening to your "Announcer" and the jokes, Facts, and introductions to the songs. It made the experience SO MUCH more personal and Fun to listen too! Especially your, "Top Ten Reasons..." lol.. even my daughter got a kick out of that.

Thank goodness your cul-de-sac turn around is so big--- people were lining up and parking in the center to watch the show! LOL!

KUDOS to you my friend, you have done an AMAZING job and are a blessing to our community!

Merry Christmas!

Gee Thanks:o! I'm sorry that you came by Saturday! The show did not go well. I am still having some problems, but I think that I have them worked out! Most of the songs that I wrote for this year are not in time so I have resorted to using more of last years than I had hoped. Kevin- AKA The Demented Elf did my spots and boy does he do an AWESOME job. My wife thinks that the show on Saturday had too much talking, so I am trying to hit a happy medium. Please come back and see the real thing. I will hopefully have everything done by Friday night. It is still a work in progress.;):D I am really glad that you enjoyed it. That is why I do it! MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Roger -

At some point when it is convenient I would like to take a behind the scenes look at your setup. It has been a logistical nightmare just with the small display I have. Would be curious to pick your brain and see what you have done. Of course, would like to see the display in action!

For everyone in the Boise area, for what its worth, here is my first attempt this year. I am already making plans for expanding it for next year. Its been a big success so far with the neighbors and everyone else driving by!

http://gallery.mac.com/clenaghen#100227

Roger -

At some point when it is convenient I would like to take a behind the scenes look at your setup. It has been a logistical nightmare just with the small display I have. Would be curious to pick your brain and see what you have done. Of course, would like to see the display in action!

For everyone in the Boise area, for what its worth, here is my first attempt this year. I am already making plans for expanding it for next year. Its been a big success so far with the neighbors and everyone else driving by!

http://gallery.mac.com/clenaghen#100227

Step One, Either shave your head now or just dye it gray becuse that is the way you are going to end up anyway!:D PM me and I will give you my number. I would be glad to show you my disaster!!!!:eek:;)

BTW Your display looks very nice!!

Step One, Either shave your head now or just dye it gray becuse that is the way you are going to end up anyway!:D PM me and I will give you my number. I would be glad to show you my disaster!!!!:eek:;)

BTW Your display looks very nice!!

I WOuld BEG, Plead, and even cry to get a chance at seeing this!

I want to do a small animation/Music display next year--starting out simple-- just need to dim some lights and highlight a few specific trees.

Any Insight would be Phenomenal!

Hi Renee -- I am on a trip through Idaho this week, and I drove by this evening. If yours is the home and yard that was lit after 9:00, your display is beautiful, especially in the snow. I tried to verify the address, but didn't see it, and there were no lights across the street. It would have been fun to be by to meet you on the 13th, but that was not my itinerary. I'm headed back to Portland Thursday evening. Merry Christmas to you and your fam!

And hello to you Roger -- I caught your final Wednesday evening show, and it's pretty spectacular. You got a lot o' stuff going on. And I'd recognize The Demented Elf anywhere. If your lawn and roof weren't covered with snow, we'd likely be able to "see your house from space."

You have a great spot for viewing there on the side of the cul-de-sac circle. My house is on the straight street section of our cul-de-sac, making optimum viewing for approximately one car. So perhaps our best viewing is on YouTube (search "mberck"). I haven't yet convinced our across-the-street neighbors to tear down their house, build a parking garage, and live in the basement. But at least they enjoy our crazy show.

Merry Christmas to you and your fam, and if you find yourself over in the Portland area in December....

Well... I guess I'm done for the year. We try to add a little each week up to the weekend before Christmas and I think I've had my fill of cold weather work. Come by and see the lights and the scenes.

We'er at:

1340 E. Grand Canyon St. / Meridian

Everyone have a merry christmas and a happy new year!!

Well... I guess I'm done for the year. We try to add a little each week up to the weekend before Christmas and I think I've had my fill of cold weather work. Come by and see the lights and the scenes.

We'er at:

1340 E. Grand Canyon St. / Meridian

Everyone have a merry christmas and a happy new year!!

I actually live just right around the corner from you, so to speak. I am in Burney Glen subdivision just west of your house. I cut through your subdivision to get to my house and have drove by your house a couple of times. My address is 406 E. Halpin Dr. I dont have a lot of lights being this is my first year transitioning into a 16 channel LOR, but it didnt turn out too bad.

Chris

I will certainly get by your house. I'm planning to make the computer jump next year. Tonight my display is totally down!! I don't know what the problem was, but one breaker kept popping and then my lights and sound stopped so I called it a night. I fix all the prob's tomorrow when I get home.