extension cord management

Does anyone have a good way to hide the cords from being a trip hazard? I have a small sidewalk from the driveway to my front door (which I never use, but others do according to my wife) that has several cords running across it. Your pictures would be appreciated.

I have cords running all over the place.

I have told everyone, just watch out and pay attention!

They are all green and brown so they blend in with the yard, but on the sidewalks, I used some clear packing tape to hold them down, it pressure washes off later on no problem.

I saw someone here showing his wooden ramp, maybe its what cotrill is refering to as a mini deck. But basically you build a wooden ramp that goes up on one side and down the other, then put the cables under the ramp. The ramp I remember was only about 2 or 3 inches high. I forget the post but I don't think it had anything to do with cable management.

-patrick

I use duct tape to cover my cords. I try to place then in the joints of the side walk. If no joints just tape over them. Seen this done at out door party's. I live in south FL so cold weather doesn't affect the tape.

Charlie from west Boca

May your lights be bright.

In my yard the cords are a little bit longer than they need to be so I can bunch the cords together in groups instead of having a spaghetti mess. When I go under the sidewalk I use sprinkler valve boxes and PVC. Like shown on this page of my website http://www.bazillionlights.com/Tech/LightsTechLights.html almost all of the way down at the bottom of the page.

I try to plan channels/controllers/X10/etc so cords don't cross over the driveway or walkway. Sometimes this means running an extension cord up and over the roof rather than quickly over a walkway.

For the few cords that do need to cross over something, I have strategically placed arches. The cords run up and over.

I have a walkway that leads to my front door I wanted to keep clear also..along with my front prch area I wanted to keep pretty much open.

I used cable stackers that are made for running cables inside wallsalong the inside of my porch and inside my soffits to keep my cables tidy. ( I got them at Lowes. The ones at HD are "red")

I also saw this at lowes too..

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=253059-56131-155663&lpage=none

I use those rubber door mats like you find entering the doors of some businesses. I got a bunch of them at Costco. I just try to keep the cables flat underneath the mat. You can also get things called cable cover throw downs of you don't have a bunch of cables to cover.

Here's a link : http://www.filmtools.com/arricable.html

To run lines across the sidewalk I actually dug a trench in the lawn....placed a 6 inch PVC pipe in the trench...drove it sideways under the sidewalk, installed 6 inch elbows on each end with risers to the lawn surface. Sounds like a lot of work but actually took only a few hours to do. The result is a VERY clean and sightless feature.

Capped them with screw in caps for ther Summer (well below lawn height). For the season I uncap the ends, Use a leaf blower to expell any accumulated water, and feed my extension cords through the pipe UNDER the walk.

Doug

Does anyone have a good way to hide the cords from being a trip hazard? I have a small sidewalk from the driveway to my front door (which I never use, but others do according to my wife) that has several cords running across it. Your pictures would be appreciated.

When we poured our new sidewalks 40 feet in length, we put in scrap pieces of conduit or regular plumbing pipe we had left over at the fire co that was going to get thrown out. We put pieces under the sidewalks about 10' apart with swooping curves so the extension cords slide through easy with a fish tape. We jsut put caps over them when not in use and when in use, just put the cap on on an angle. I will probably cut slits in the side of the pipe so the cords fit out and the caps fit over it a little better. When not in use, ill make sure the cap fits over the slit. The cap prevents water and debris from getting in. Ill get pics tomorrow and try to post them here. Im doing alot of work tomorrow out on the display.

I try to plan channels/controllers/X10/etc so cords don't cross over the driveway or walkway. Sometimes this means running an extension cord up and over the roof rather than quickly over a walkway.

That's what I do as well. But we don't have a sidewalk parallel to the street, just a driveway to worry about... For this year, I have a com cable going up and over the house to a box in the back (controlling the 4 channels of icicle lights, stuff on the roof, and a few other misc things), a low-voltage wire from my single DC controller to one bank of lights on the far side of the drive that goes up and over the garage door (on the inside, so it isn't noticable), and a couple cords that run most of 3 sides all around the house, where I needed channels in the front yard but most of my boxes are in the side yard (on the other side of the driveway) or the one in back...

-Tim

Sorry i didnt get pics of my sidewalks today. We had someone in the middle of the night decide to crash her husbands car with him in it over a stupid fight. Tomorrow i have a function at the firehouse ill be at the station from 8am - 2pm so i will be able to get the pics after that.