I have just thought of where I can get more power. I recently replaced my electric dryer with a gas dryer and now I have a 30 amp, 240V breaker open and a 240V wire that I could run to the garage. But is there a way to turn 240 into 120 and would the amps be the same? I have no idea how that works and I looked around the forums and couldn't find much. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

Shaun

Hi there, i'm in the UK and using 120v American lighting. I use what we call SITE TRANSFORMERS. They're the yellow boxed version. I have 4, each are 3.3Kw & 16amp

Here's a link to similar products

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SC5577.html

These products come supplied with a British UK plug and are rated at 220/240v and will step down the power to 120v

Hope this helps

Paul

I have just thought of where I can get more power. I recently replaced my electric dryer with a gas dryer and now I have a 30 amp, 240V breaker open and a 240V wire that I could run to the garage. But is there a way to turn 240 into 120 and would the amps be the same? I have no idea how that works and I looked around the forums and couldn't find much. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

Shaun

You can extend the wire to your garage, into a small subpanel, and use it to get 120V circuits. I did exactly that a few years back, since we also have a gas dryer.

Hire an electrician if you're unsure of the process.

-Tim

To be correct you need 4 wires to a 240v sub panel

2 hots, neutral & a ground

It's very possible he has 4 wires, but only a 3-prong outlet. 4-prong outlets weren't mandated until 10 or so years ago... When did mine, I found the ground was there, bonded to the metal box, but not extended to the 3-prong outlet....

-Tim

They have a generator cord that will plug into a 240 and output 2/3/ or 4 120 outlets. Check it out at www.northerntool.com It should be listed in their generator section

That is pretty close to what I did.. except I had room for a dual breaker in my box..

The wall plug is for a Generator I got at Lowes), and like others have stated 4 wire.

The Yellow "spiderbox" has 6 20amp GFCI twistlock. I also found some twistlock plugs with 3 regular ground plugs on them.I found all these items on Ebay...

I looked around and I found some transformers on amazon. I figured a 4000 watt step down transformer for $120 would work(120v x 30a =3600w) Right? I believe there was four wires on that 240 outlet too from what I remember when I moved my laundry room to the first floor. Anybody know how well those transformers work at all? They seem like a cheap solution.

Shaun

I looked around and I found some transformers on amazon. I figured a 4000 watt step down transformer for $120 would work(120v x 30a =3600w) Right? I believe there was four wires on that 240 outlet too from what I remember when I moved my laundry room to the first floor. Anybody know how well those transformers work at all? They seem like a cheap solution.

Please at least talk to an electrician... you don't need (or want) a tranformer for this application (US 240V is quite a bit different than UK's 240V), you need a subpanel. The "spider box" mentioned above is serving as such a subpanel, or you could have a real one installed...

-Tim

Ah I see. I didn't realize they were for European to US. I do like the idea of having a subpanel in the garage. It would probably look more professional too. And between the garage and the side yard, I am up to I think 35 to 40 amps of lights so I need to do something pretty quick. Thanks for the advice Tim and everybody else.

Shaun

Please at least talk to an electrician... you don't need (or want) a tranformer for this application (US 240V is quite a bit different than UK's 240V), you need a subpanel. The "spider box" mentioned above is serving as such a subpanel, or you could have a real one installed...

-Tim

Tim is correct. A 230/240 dryer circut is an easy 2 x 120v circuts IF you know what you are doing. Two options. First the old 230v circut can be run to a different location with a new sub box that has a main breaker in it the same size as the breaker to the dryer. Probably 30 amp. But the better way is to pull the old dryer circut out including the 30 amp breaker in the box and install two new 15 amp ones along with two new circuts coming from the main breaker box.

I am not a fan of "well this is already there so I'll just tap into it and patch this together" Take what you don't need out and replace it with what you do need..

And from the sounds of your questions it sounds like you should have an electrician do this. A dryer circut to two 15 amp circuts/outlets is a pretty simple job for an electrician. AND he might find something that really needs to be fixed.

I don't think you can use a 30a 240v breaker to feed household outlets. 30a 240v is (2) 30a 120v feeds, not (2) 15a feeds

This is correct. This is why a subpanel is needed -- you can then install 4 15A breakers (2 on each 30A 'leg'). I actually installed 4 20A breakers -- the 30A "main" keeps me from pulling more than 30A on either leg, but gives me the flexibility to pull, say 20A one one breaker and 10A on the other.

But as has been said -- if you don't understand the theory here then you really need an electrician. I've done a lot of wiring over the years...

-Tim

Just to update, I talked to a guy at work who might as well be an electrician. He said the same thing and also mentioned about adding more breakers in the future. What I will do is run 2 sets of 240 out to the garage, one being left unattached to anything because that will come from the water heater in the future when I switch that to gas. The other will be connected to the subpanel and I will have 2 20 amp breakers and room to add 2 more later. I am just going to hold off until spring to do it when things slow down. For know I am just going to run some extension cords from the house on another curcuit. Thanks for the ideas everyone!

Shaun