Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
FandomFilms

Still Dark?

Anyone else still not lit up? I've been outside every chance I get trying to get everything up and running. The weather has been good crossing fingers that I'll be lit up tomorrow.

We will light up ours on Sunday evening as well. Gotta go to the inlaws for Thanksgiving, so the show sits ready to go for Sunday evening!

Dan

Not me.........i turned my lights on today and i bluw a fuse grrrrr so i getting the electertion out mon to fix it so i am in the dark tell monday so you can see i am mad today and not a good person to talk to right now grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

We are lit up...although several of the LED lines have taken a dive so at this rate 3 of my minitrees will be dark by Sunday. Otherwise most everything else is working well. I made an oops on a show trigger which was then my wakeup call this morning...unfortunately I put 5am thru 1015pm. Currently compiling show to fix that again.

To those still setting it up, best of luck on weather and timing to get it done quickly.

I WAS done..but decided last minute to add a little more. Workin today, so I was going to finish up Sunday but now I see nothing but rain in my future..so hopefully Monday I'll be done..hopefully.

Working to be up and lit by Monday night... don't know if I will pull it off! I still have half of my mega tree to do, some of the yard (small yard), not to mention I haven't even been on the roof yet!

Whitey

Still dark tonight. Tomorrow is my cross the fingers day. I see rain coming up tomorrow but I'm prepared to keep going.

I went through 4 computers today trying to get one working for the show. I finally got one working but it didn't have the proper serial por on the machine so I had to run over to best buy and get a cable. it worked but took a few minutes to get it running.

Here's a picture of the mess. lol (In good spirits).

Then my wife and I had to laugh I cut my finger and I used Electric tape over the bandaid (no big cut). The wife who was getting tired said it reminder her of the Deadliest Catch show where someone cut off a finger almost and just taped it up and continued to work.

(cue music) Tonight on Deadliest Christmas Display... Can they get the display lit? Or will it be... blah blah blah lol

Thought I was done as well...came home show seemed to be stuck...not sure why, and the radio was no longer working, the "Whole House Transmitter" seems to have died...it is lit up as having power but not producing any sound...I checked and MB is sending out music to headphones when tested. Of course there are 3-5 strings to replace on the Mega Tree that have died in the past several days and 13 out of 18 strings on 3 of the mini trees, 1 string of 18 on the other set of 3 mini trees and 6 strings on the bushes that died last night.

I am rather depressed now that so much time was put into building everything and it is having so many problems...looks bad now to me at least and other have noticed and commented about the burned out strings. If it was the monster brain instead of the music xmitter that was dead, I would have shelved it all for the year... Since Mid Summer between this show and Ike Relief I have put in about 300-400 hours each (Ike relief all volunteer) and of course the show whatever freetime I could find...

I started to light up a few molds last nite

I have LED snowflakes I just added to the windows

Six small blow molds in the front picture window

I'll be adding nite by nite & leaving what I setup lit up

No big "everything on at once" this year

We're still dark. Won't be finished for at least a week I guess. Brian, weatherman says snow tomorrow and we're under a winter advisory..3 to 5 inches. This really chaps my (( because tomorrow was supposed to be the day we get all the molds up and the controllers deployed. Grrrr...talk about a bad mood!

We're getting that same storm down here Carrie..but our is just rain. I don't think our snow is due until Monday. But then it'll warm back up for a day which will give me time to finish!

Lots of highs and lows today.

Got the snowflakes in motion put up and wired in.

20' tree falls down goes boom.

Mini trees look fantastic.

10' tree wired and running

Cable tie rips through glove and first 4 layers of skin.

Beer is cold.

All of my custom made cords work when they were plugged in.

Ladder falls with me on it from 6 feet.

Beer tastes good.

FM transmitter was spotty due to bad patch cord.

Show runs flawlessly from laptop.

Beer ran out!

Roofline is done (ropelights and icicles)

The rest goes in the garden today and hopefully all is ready at 4PM (CET)

(Thats 6 hours from now)

Yesterday we had showers of rain and snow most of the day, but today should be dry :-)

Temp. is still just above the freezing point though :-(

Cant wait to see what the last months of building looks like in real life :-)

/Kim