Anyone else notice?

We had to go out today (grrr..took me away from working on the display) and on the way home, we saw a lot of houses already lit. People here generally don't start until after Thanksgiving to put up their decorations or light them up. Lots of neighbors were out yesterday putting up lights and the area is starting to get "bright."

My city's public display turned on Friday night. I noticed several more homes lit tonight than last Saturday night, although it does seem toned down. Our town was especially hard hit by the economy. Several thousand people lost their jobs in the mobile home, Recreational Vehicle and band instrument industries. The city of Elkhart has the highest unemployment in Indiana. I hope the economy picks up soon!!!

Guest Jeff_Womack

That there are not as many folks lighting up this Christmas season as in year's past? And I am not talking about the computer controlled folks. I am placing the blame for this on our economy!:mad:

This red state seems to be lighting up more than ever!

I've actually noticed a spike around my place. Lots of people were out decorating today.

Same here. The wifey was the one to point it out and she's right. Loads more are at least putting *some* lights up and there are a bunch that are doing fantastic jobs!

-Jeff

There is significantly more lights up this year (here) than in the last couple years. Of course, I live in a fairly newer home area and I think most people were tapped out on house-related expenses and didn't catch up on decorating till this year.

Also, our HOA promoted a decorating contest, so that may have increased the participation as well.

We have one guy doing a lights and sounds show a block or two away ... I'm encouraged by it all.

Guest Jeff_Womack

Just in case my neighbors here in my new neoghborhood don't decorate, I decided to wrap trees across the entire 480 foot road frontage in different color LEDs! The best part is I live on a curve so you can't see the whole display from one point! Over the next couple of days I have to get power run to the incandescents (50,000 or so or them) and get the LOR finished and next Saturday is the "official" lights-on day with Santa making his first visit!

It's pretty bleek here as well. Actually I've noticed a decline in the number of lit up houses for the last couple years. Many houses that I always used to count on being done well just don't bother anymore. I always hope for good weather over thanksgiving weekend and the following weekend, not for my sake, my stuff is already done, but for everyone else that *might* get out there if it's nice out.

The second year I lived in my current house there was a spike in the number of people with lights on my street. But that fizzled out after a year. I'd like to see, if nothing more, just a line of lights on the roof of every house!

with Thanksgiving coming so late this year, I'm sure there will be alot of people who put off decorating until this week or next weekend. I saw alot of lights on last night while making a dinner run, but imagine it will start to pick up in the next week.

Give it time, I'm sure ther's a lot who were waiting

I agree that you can't really judge this until a week or so after Thanksgiving. A lot of 'normal' people feel that Christmas lights need to go up well AFTER Thanksgiving...

We have been out and about the past 5 days and I've seen a lot of lights...

-Tim

Yesterday, while visiting one of the stores that i service, , I walked down to Target ( in the same strip mall area) to get me a Dr Pepper, and made my way back to the lights, and the shelves were pretty cleared out, especially the wireframe/yard decor shelves... I think this may be another good sign more will light up this weekend.

I have also seen a steady climb of lights coming on in my neighborhood since I turned mine on.. especially the neighbor across the street that NEVER has put up any lights till this year!

Usually about this time each year, I drive around my neighborhood nightly to see who's doing what. In years past, maybe 10 houses out of the whole neighborhood (3 mile loop) did anything significant. A few days ago I rode my bike around, and there were quite a few people out in their yards putting stuff up in one fashion or another. Moreso than in years past.

Since I my first Christmas here in SC in 2002, the neighborhood has gone from dark, to quite a few people beginning to come out of their shells. It makes me feel good to see more people at least putting out a deer or a string of lights every year around here.

Well... As some might recall, last year I asked what to do about a dog who loves to chew up Christmas lights and power cords. I thought we had that licked until the day after I had set up the air blowns. I had 2 that were dead, their life-giving power cords chewed into 3 or 4 pieces... The week before I found two of my miniature trees with the same problem but had fixed them already, hoping it was a fluke.

So after seeing my sad little empty decorations, I thought, "do I really want to go through another Christmas season fixing lights every night." So I decided to keep the majority of my stuff in the barn for another year. I did finish doing some the stuff where lights were up higher and historically safer from the "jaws of light death." I'm not kidding when I say I lost over $200 in lights due to a black-and-white Grinch last year. Several NEW LED strings... Grrr...

I think this year he had a grudge because he was the only blinky-blinky thing around. He likes to visit neighbors' dogs in the dark and hide outside watching us when we call for him to come home. So now he has a collar that gives him away. If I could make him stand still, I'd have another decoration - a life-like dog for the manger. Of course, if he bites a powered electrical cord, I might have a shooting star...

But seriously, I think the economy has people freaked. Some people made stupid mistakes and are losing their shirts. Others are sympathetic and do not want to be joyous.