Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
DavBro

NC Display Directory

Saw the New Yorkers doing this so I thought I'd start things here. Reply to this thread if you have a display in NC.

I have a 180 channel LOR display (including 16 channels on the next-door neighbor's house) in Indian Trail, which is 10 mile southeast of Charlotte, in Union County. This is my 3rd year running with LOR.

Stop by and identify yourself if you are in the area. We always great every car with candy canes. Would love to meet fellow-PCer's.

Dave

We have a 64 channel LOR display with 15,000 lights. We are located about 20 minutes southwest of Raleigh, NC, or just south of Cary/Apex. This is our 4th Christmas in NC, our 2nd year with LOR. Anyone who wants to stop by and say hello is welcome. Our display runs 6-9 pm Sunday thru Thursday, 6-10 pm Friday and Saturday.

32 channels with 15,000 lights. I'm in Gastonia, right outside of Charlotte. My house is near the Gastonia Airport.

This is my first year and I can't wait until next year...

Great idea, DavBro.

I'm in northwest Greensboro, and I'm pretty sure I've got the first animated display in Guilford County. (However, there are many fabulous static displays nearby.)

This is my first year going animated, and I had big plans to invite folks over. But, a couple of things really messed up my plans. First, I got all 10,800 of my LED's in the now infamous 2008 CDI pre-season buy. So, about half my strings have died, forcing me to scrap hundreds of feet of my display. If that wasn't enough, the NCDOT is finishing off a massive road construction project near my house, and the route to my house has been changing almost daily. I've even gotten lost a couple of times trying to find my own house!

I thought about not lighting up at all, but Chuck Hutchings (anyone remember Chuck?) gave me some great advice when my lights died. He told me that even if my display seemed awful to me, it would still impress folks who don't know any better. He was so right, and I'm glad I went ahead with my severly neutered display. It's really been fun, and like Chuck said, it has amazed my friends.

So, my display is probably not worth the drive. But, you can check out three of my sequences at:

http://DumbSoutherner.com/lights/

My wife and I are hoping to take a road trip to check out some of the displays you guys have put together. I'm looking forward to it!

I am located in Archdale, about 20 minutes south of Greensboro. This is also my first year. I have roughly 8,000 lights and 32 channels. I had someone here on PC do the sequencing and I must say it turned out awesome! If youre in the area stop in and say hello. 1001 Courtland Ln

Hello Fellow N Carolinian's.

I'm In Burlington NC currently over 30,000 lights and 96 channels.

This is my 3rd year running a LOR display, I think I'm getting the hang of it!

For those close by I will try to stop by and say Hello!!!!

see prolawn made digtriad, how about you MrPhred?

Ted

Hello Fellow N Carolinian's.

... see prolawn made digtriad, how about you MrPhred?

I was too embarassed to post my display on DigTriad. But, if I can get some decent replacement LED's that actually work, I'll probably sign up next year.

Hello all-

Long Time lurker but never post much.

Our street has 4 houses synched.

This year we have 31,000 lights and 192 channels. 177 in use.

House #2 has 7,000 lights and 32 channels.

House #3 has 20,000 lights and 96 channels.

House #4 has 5,000 lights and 32 channels.

We are located in Mooresville just North of Charlotte off of Highway 150.

Show hours are 5:30 till 10:00 Sunday through Thursday. 5:30 till 12:00 Friday and Saturday. I have 7 songs done and am working on the 8th. (Should be in this weekend.)

Cliff.

Carl, the Carolina Mini Man! Been watching your blog. Looking good up in the Grove.

DavBro

Thanks David

I finally took pictures last night and posted them to my website. We plan on being your way on the Dec 27th. I hope your show is still playing. I see you posted videos on you site. Your show looks good.

Hey there! Posting on behalf of Kersey Valley Christmas in High Point, NC www.Kerseyvalleychristmas.com

There is an animated show I did for them that is the only one of its kind.

Over 100,000 leds and 200 channels of LOR with a giant flame effect!

Check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BclsuQU95s&feature=channel_page

I'm in Huntersville (Vermillion) 5400 ligths plugged in to a lights and sounds of Christmas. I've been bit and home to move to LOR for next year. Vetteman can you be more specific on your location? BTW, I wouldn't go out of your way to view my lights, next year maybe.

Not too far from DavBro here in Indian Trail, NC. Currently have 16 channels and 4400 lights. Big plans for next year though (don't we all say that!)

Brian

We are in High Point, NC and have been running Mr. Christmas for the past two years. I bought LOR with 32 channels this past year durring the LOR sales and EMD FM transmitter. I was feeling a little overwelmed trying to get everything ready for this year and ran out of time and decided to just scrap it and just hook up the Mr. Christmas and Belkin FM transmitter again.

That's what I get for not working on sequencing durring the summer.

Thanks,

Dan

I'm located in Holly Springs, NC - about a mile down the road from TomD. I have a basic 16 Channel Animated Lighting Display, 3 Wire frame trees, 2 deer, 3 LED packages and candy cane lights. I have a 4 channel box attached that controls the lights on the fence behind the display (going on the house next year)

This is my second year displaying - looking at maybe programing my own next year

John,

It was good to me you and your wife on Christmas Eve. I'm going to check out your display tonight. We now have at least 3 people in Holly Springs doing music and lights, 2 with AL and me with LOR. There are also several Lights and Sounds setups as well.

Tom -

We really enjoyed your show - along with the "public service announcement" you've added. Look forward to that possible cup of coffee after the season is over-

I know it's a little late now... but my name is Darren, my wife Lisa and I have a display in Winston-Salem, NC just off of Jonestown Rd.

This was our second year animating. We used 176 LOR channels of the 400 we have. We had about 60,000 lights with 40 inflatables and a few wireframes up this year.

It was nice meeting a few of you at the Carolina mini this year. Hope we can do it again soon.

Well, we upgraded our display this year. We now have 40,000 lights and 90 channels LOR. Archdale NC. Close to the intersection of 311 and I-85. Would love to see some PLanet Christmas members this year.

Guest curve=09

New to Planet Christmas and can't wait to get into using the LOR's

I have a pretty nice Static display over in Huntersville in the Macaulay Sub divsion. I am trying to gather as much info as possible on the animated displays and hope to put together a nice show next season. Right now I use a mixture of LED's and C-9's. I have a few Blow molds although I am looking to collect a few choice pieces to add to the collection as well as a few Wood cut outs I made many years ago. I was lucky enough to make it into the local paper and win a small award for my display. Now I have the fever! I'll be sure to check out some of my fellow "neighbors" homes this year...

Pittsboro, southwest of Raleigh, almost due south of Durham, where US-64 and US-15/501 meet. I'm a couple blocks north of that circle, behind the Chevrolet dealership.

I've been running a Mr. Christmas for the last couple of years, and large static displays for years before that. 2009 will be my first year with LOR (64 channels). My wife and I have done about 7500 lights, this year we'll probably double that.

http://www.PittsboroChristmas.com

http://ChristmasCarolina.com

and of course, Planet Christmas.

- Jack

Well, I am still trying to jump in there with my display in Greensboro. Bought up a lot of lights after Christmas last year. Trying to get my teenage sons to assist in the putting up of said lights:121_reindeer: Maybe next year...