16 Function Lights - No Memory?!

lamary33

I have several sets of multi-function lights. I bought them last year and i'm just using them for the first time. Here is the problem:

I set the lights on setting 4, they work all though the night. Even if i set it on 4, then unplug the light for a minute, then replug it, it keeps the setting. The problem seems to be when the lights are turned off by the timer. I tried setting my timer to come on for just 15 minutes twice during the day thinking maybe the lights only had a 6 hour memory or something. But still no luck.

I don't know for sure who made the lights because i trashed the box last year. i think they are GE or Sylvania. They are higher quality lights and have the screw ends so that you can connect several set together with just one controller. The funny thing is the Home Depot multi-functions that i bought were cheaper and they are working just fine.

Any help is appreciated. I already hung them from the gutters, so i'm hoping to get things working ASAP.

I have several sets of multi-function lights. I bought them last year and i'm just using them for the first time. Here is the problem:

I set the lights on setting 4, they work all though the night. Even if i set it on 4, then unplug the light for a minute, then replug it, it keeps the setting. The problem seems to be when the lights are turned off by the timer. I tried setting my timer to come on for just 15 minutes twice during the day thinking maybe the lights only had a 6 hour memory or something. But still no luck.

I don't know for sure who made the lights because i trashed the box last year. i think they are GE or Sylvania. They are higher quality lights and have the screw ends so that you can connect several set together with just one controller. The funny thing is the Home Depot multi-functions that i bought were cheaper and they are working just fine.

Any help is appreciated. I already hung them from the gutters, so i'm hoping to get things working ASAP.

I know I have seen instructions on how to modify chasing sets to hold their settings. It involved opening up the controller box, and soldering in a capacitor. When the sets were on, the cap charges. When the sets are turned off, the cap keeps the chip powered to remember the setting.

Now, where I saw that post, or how long ago it was I don't remember.:(

Last time I used one of those sets was many years ago, but I seem to remember that it would always default to 'combo' if unplugged for any period of time. Fortunately, 'combo' (the sequence that iterated through all the other sequences) was my favorite choice anyway. Even more strangely, if you unplugged and re-plugged it quickly, it was essentially the same as hitting the 'sequence advance' button...

The only type I've ever seen with "memory" is the kind with the dial switch that physically points to the correct sequence choice...

-Tim

What a crappy design! I remember way back when they first came out with the multi-function lights, after the plain 'lights in motion' came out (that only had a speed dial on them) they had a problem with them holding their function after you turned them off. I have a half dozen sets of the multi-functions that have the push button (not the dial) and they DO hold their setting, and they are the cheapo store brand.

Just goes to show, the "name brand" lights often are NOT better than the cheaper alternatives...