CDI 2009 LED M5 Samples - PART 2

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeez - take a chill pill! All you are doing is creating mass hysteria. The samples were just that - samples so we could get feed back. All major issues were addressed and the new product will be just fine. They are on schedule to arrive here around the end of March and than we will get them out ASAP.

Paul,

First of all, as a customer with over $3000 on the line here, I do not appreciate being told to "take a chill pill"!

I'm not attempting to create mass hysteria. On the contrary, I have remained quiet, offered help on strand modifications, and waited patiently through two iterations of sample testing. The time has come for decision making and I am seeking information from as many sources as possible.

I, along with others, do not yet have an answer as to whether or not the issues above in this thread were addressed. "All major issues" is rather vague. Have the issues regarding noise that can interfere with other channels been fixed? Have the issues with outdoor reliability been fixed? Exactly what is "major" and what isn't?

It seems fair enough to discuss our concerns.

These are my concerns as well. Is the noise still an issue with the new ones?

My display changes every single night using the 2008 LED's. I never know what the shows going to look like. What kind of warranty comes with these replacements? What if we have similar issues like we're having now? Are we to be expected to pay return shipping again?

Personally, I'd rather just have a refund and I'll buy the 2009 model LED's.

These are my concerns as well. Is the noise still an issue with the new ones?

My display changes every single night using the 2008 LED's. I never know what the shows going to look like. What kind of warranty comes with these replacements? What if we have similar issues like we're having now? Are we to be expected to pay return shipping again?

Personally, I'd rather just have a refund and I'll buy the 2009 model LED's.

I would prefer a cash refund as well.

Having to "beta test" a string of LED lights says a lot about the manufacturer.

Also is it true that you cannot plug strings end to end with these?

That would totally mess with my Marty Fan design because I use 2 strings of 100 to make each of the 13 sections on the fan.

I think what was meant was you can't connect 1 male on top of another male(stacking). I think male to female is fine.

Jeez - take a chill pill! All you are doing is creating mass hysteria. The samples were just that - samples so we could get feed back. All major issues were addressed and the new product will be just fine. They are on schedule to arrive here around the end of March and than we will get them out ASAP.

Why wouldnt people go nuts? Some of these folks spent thousands of dollars for these lights. Can you blame them being gun shy when another pre-order is around the corner and no one knows what they may get this year? I'm sure that when folks bought last years product they thought they would be "Just fine".

My 2008 Display came down today...

In an attempt to get this thread back on track,

Here are a few more observations about the 2009 Samples.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with their performance.

Of the 36 2008 50 ct. strings I used, 6 times I encountered problems with outages. 4 times I had to check each LED, and eventually found one needing re-seating to re-light the string. Twice the problem corrected itself(!), both times in rainy situations (which bothers me more than the ones I had to fix!).

Of the 9 strings of 2009 samples I used (4 from the first batch, 5 from the 2nd) I had none of these problems.

The 2008 strings definitely caused some interference with my LOR setup. All the 2008 stings in my setup were 50ct., I ended up stringing them in pairs of 2, each pair of two was on a separate LOR channel. When dimming the 2008 LED's I would get some triggering of other LOR channels. This resulted in very short flashes of other LED strings, but was worse with some of the incandescent strings which would be on at a low intensity for a short time.

With the 2009 strings I had 100 ct. strings paired in 2's, so 200 LEDs on each LOR channel. When dimming the 2009 strings I perceived no interference on other LOR channels.

When dimming the 2008 50ct. strings on LOR, the rectifier "Blobs" would emit an audible buzzing noise. This did not occur with the 2009 strings.

I did have a few issues with the 2009 samples...

With one of the 2009 sample strings I found an LED making intermittent contact, after removing it I found that one of the contacts in the socket was crushed. The leads on the LED were bent as well, likely from inserting them into the damaged socket. Not too surprising from a low cost mass production operation, I noticed similar issues on some of my 2008 strings.

The sample strings did not come with any extra LED's. This made it difficult in repairing the damaged LED noted above. I assume this is just because they were samples?

And most importantly, I noticed while putting things away today that there was rust/corrosion noticeable on some of the 2009 LEDs. It was visible inside the base of the plastic lenses on about 10%-20% of the LED's. Was there a weatherproofing step not done because they were samples? or will this be a problem for the real production strings as well?

--Paul

It was just a sample - don't send it back. Those were not the finished product.

I just meant that perhaps the manufacturer would want to be sure that the final product doesn't have similar issues.

Of course, if they are aware that the samples rusted then perhaps that's enough for them to correct the problem.