Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
VanMeterDJ4

non-yellowing clearcoat

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone knows what clearcoat I can use that dosen't turn my characters yellowish. I built them out of 1/2 plywood and exterior grade paint. However now they are starting to turn yellowish from the clear coat. I want to build some new characters, but don't want the same thing to happen. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

Danny

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone knows what clearcoat I can use that dosen't turn my characters yellowish.

Minwax Polycrylic won't yellow, but it's very expensive and tends to 're-wet' paint.

But why clear coat at all? You don't put clearcoat on your house, and the paint on it lasts for years. For every year house paint lasts, your cutouts should last 10.

I agree with the above statement but if you insist on putting down a clearcoat, go to an automotive paint supplier and pick up an aerosol can of either Jammin Clear by Transtar or Clear #1 by Upol.

I deal with body shops all the time and sell both of these products. They aren't cheap ($15.00) a can, but they will not yellow and you can control the thickness because of the aerosol.

Good luck.

I buy outdoor paint for black, red, and white since I use quite a bit of it. Otherwise, I use acrylic paint and coat with polyeurethane I buy from http://thewinfieldcollection.com/ After you have a couple coats of poly on, be sure to let it cure for two weeks before placing outdoors. Otherwise, you risk clouding.

JWetc. makes an exterior waterbase polyurethane that doesn't yellow and it also has a UV protectorant in it. I use both flat exterior latex and acrylic on my outdoor pieces and have used this varnish for year--after having tried most everything. I have pieces at Santa's Wonderland in Texas that have been out for 10 years and color and finish are as good as when they were done. website: http://www.jwetc.com

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone knows what clearcoat I can use that dosen't turn my characters yellowish. I built them out of 1/2 plywood and exterior grade paint. However now they are starting to turn yellowish from the clear coat. I want to build some new characters, but don't want the same thing to happen. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

Danny

My other hobby is collecting pinball machines, sometimes on an older game the paint starts to delaminate from the backglass. We typically use this and it's worked fine. Yellowing isn't a good thing.

http://www.krylon.com/products/triplethick_crystal_clear_glaze/

Other than that possible a water based urethane "Varathane" comes to mind.

We used the bargain clear coat from Walmart on our Snoopy and doghouse. The white sections yellowed horribly. This year I repainted the white sections with exterior house paint, and we won't clear coat them again unless we can find an affordable, non-yellowing poly. We get lots of rain and snow while our display is out, and warping is an issue, so we had hoped the clear coat would add some protection.

I probably would not clear coat them. I have two plywood cutouts that my grandfather made in the 1940's, when my dad was young, that are finally starting to show their age (somewhere between 60 and 70 years old :cool:). The paint is starting to get brittle and ripple/peel. I know the paint is exterior and I am sure lead based, but these were definitely never clear coated.

I plan on repainting these in a couple of years, anybody have any recommendations on specific brands of outdoor paint?

I use an automotive acrylic enamel clear coat on evrything that is a lighter color. I have used the cheap stuff from Walmart on darker things that I only want to have a matte finish.

We used the bargain clear coat from Walmart on our Snoopy and doghouse. The white sections yellowed horribly. This year I repainted the white sections with exterior house paint, and we won't clear coat them again unless we can find an affordable, non-yellowing poly. We get lots of rain and snow while our display is out, and warping is an issue, so we had hoped the clear coat would add some protection.

In the past I have had some things yellow, only because I used the too much clear.

Jeremy