Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Carrie Sansing

Am I the only one not finished?

Seems like I'm running way behind again this year. The weather on Sunday was miserable. I tried working outside, managed to go from 9 to 3, but much of that was spent staging in the garage. The rain, slush, snow and wind was pretty bad.

So today, I cut out from work early. Finally got the choir started and the stage built (and my shoulders are sore, those cinder blocks are heavy and a pain to move).

Now I see we are supposed to get anothe 3-5 inches of snow tomorrow, under a Winter Advisory again.

Sigh..

Anyone else still putting up the display?

I'm seeing your weather as well only a day later....

My show is running already. However It's not done I still have about 10000more lights to put up...

Looking at the sequences there are only a couple that really look like their missing something.

I'm still plugging away...too many things unexpected have been happening and not enough day time! Plus I can't keep myself awake....I need to resoder a bunch of strands tonight, but I can't stay awake on the computer here!

Good luck!

All the lights are up but I still haven't connected any of the electrical yet. I just finally pulled my controllers out of storage this morning.

I am only aboy 57.568% done. THis has been a struggle for me this year. I am going to make it. I hope yo 85% by Sunday and start the show. Good luck Carrie!

Same here. It rained hard for three days last weekend and we didn't get anything put out. We were lucky Mediacom put up our roof lights so we have those on. With it being dark each day by the time we get home from work, it won't be finished till this weekend. Bummer, I'm so wanting to see it all lit up.

We worked like crazy to get ours done before we leave for vacation tomorrow but it didn't quite happen. We come back on the 7th but the electrician won't be done with my new 100 amp sub-panel install until the 9th!:eek:

I still have a few thousand lights to put out and tons of extension cords to run. This is by far the most unprepared I have ever been. Everything took longer than expected this year. Our lights fought us every inch of the way this year. Having to re-wire 5 mini trees at the last moment due to the wires on the bulbs rusting off and building my 1st mega tree at the last moment certainly didn't help.

The lights will most likely come on fully on the 9th or 10th and I hope to have the new LOR boxes and programs running by the 14th. I will light up, I will light up.....:)

I stared much earlier than normal, due in part to joining this forum and 'thinking' decorations early. Normally I'm still picking out ply cutouts at Thanksgiving dinner! Most lights and cutouts are up and lit, animation sequences just about finished. Wife asked if I'm almost done. then she remembered, I'm still adding things till it's time to unplug the whole mess! Good thing -- no ladder rides -----yet....

I have all my lights up and controllers out and running but being my first year doing this building my sequences is going real slow doing 80 channels with aurora is abit more :confused: work than i had thought it was going to be but i have 1 totaly done tso mad russian christmas and 2/3 of toyshop madness and wizzards in winter and christmas eve christmas eve - sarajevo 12-24 my problem is that i get done with part and at 2 or 3 am fire it up and im not happy with what its doing so i keep changing parts of what i have done already

We had snow hit Saturday night, then I woke up Sunday morning to several inches of snow. Most of the molds are out, LOR controllers out and power runned, but my mega isn't up yet and several other items that either need to be plugged in or set up. Hope to be going by this weekend.

Hang in there Carrie and everyone else... we've had good weather by comparison, but I've been there in other years and don't envy you at all!

-Tim

I have all my lights up and controllers out and running but being my first year doing this building my sequences is going real slow , my problem is that i get done with part and at 2 or 3 am fire it up and im not happy with what its doing so i keep changing parts of what i have done already

I feel ya there , in the same boat you are, but i also keep adding stuff and changeing things outside which dont help.

Edited by GaMeR

seems like a lot of us who should know better are in this boat

I went all out for Halloween (since it was on the weekend) and then bolted out of town the next day which pushed back my clean up to the following week. Then there were a couple of weekend trips to the in-law in November that kept me from getting anything done. Of course to top it all off, I had a doozy of some personal problems hit home that just took the enthusiasm right out of me.

Now I find myself already into December with lights in half the trees, a mega tree, that I can't hoist up, and 6 mini trees that still need wrapped in red lights - oh, I still need to install the subpanel sometime so I can actually plug all this carp in

UGGGGG

Carrie,

I'm still building as well the weather has not been great and I've been working 60+ hours a week, if all goes well I'll be done this comig weekend.

Tony

Carrie, I'm not finished yet either. Wind was my problem last week. Got most of the display up, but still have 5 more pieces to put together, put the santa and sleigh in the trees, trim out some of my trees and re-arrange one part of the display, put the garage door cover on, etc., so I feel your pain!

Carrie i feel for you we are getting the same weather also.I am only about half way done.But considering the accident 4 weeks ago im lucky to get enything up i can only stay on my feet for about 15 minuts at a time.Just keep seting up as you can.No matter how much you get up it will look great

Gregg

Carrie, I just started putting up lights Yesterday! I was rewiring 2 bedrooms, putting in a structured wiring panel with 5-6 low voltage cables into every room, and putting in hard wired smoke detectors. Then I lost about a week with company here and driving about 600 miles round trip for Thanksgiving. So Don't feel bad! Our weather has been perfect here so that's not an excuse either! LOL

The main reason I'm so far behind is that our house and my efforts get hit by two toranoes several times a day. Of course these tornadoes need plenty of attention and seldom let me do anything I actually plan.

At least the older tonado goes to school and the younger one still naps, so I get 3-4 hours of time 3 days a week. not much in the grand scheme of things though

I wish I could blame the weather

I'm having a hard time getting motivated. I've got about 10% done and keep wondering if I should quit for this year. There have been too many distractions and now I'm discouraged and worried about a family member being sick. When the neighbors have asked, I said I'll be done by Christmas Eve. Sigh. Where's the Energizer Bunny when you need him?

I made lots of progress this weekend. I guess I have about 75% up and will finish this afternoon, tonight and tomorrow. One more controller needs to be hooked up. I ran parts of the display last night, so I could have some light to work by. I was pleased with the results so far. My reindeer are semi flying (mine take off from the ground), the wireframes are up, my gingerbread men are playing ring around the rosy and the choir is singing. There is still so much to do, but I'm cutting myself off as of Wednesday. Whatever is not out by Wednesday, won't be in the display this year. No one will know but me, so it won't matter.

We're supposed to be in for some more "weather" so I'm hoping it will hold off long enough today so that I can get that last controller deployed and finish up with the blow molds.

I'm still trying to get the roof over the new addition

I've "lost" my prime real estate area this year as I need to get the truck into the back yard to bring in lumber & roofing shingles

1st roof rafter went up the other day

I don't have any outside lights up yet

LED window snowflakes & candles

85 blow molds out - 1 is the Santa Band light show

It's 20 out I think now, 13 this morning