Covering the roof with lights

Not just the outline.... I want to cover the whole front side of the roof.

Any ideas besides pushing plastic clips under the shingles?

One I was thinking about today was to outline the whole area with 1x1 furring strips, and screw a cup holder hook every 6 inches. I could attach the bottom strip to the gutters with some straps, and the same on the top to the roof vent.

The end of each strip with have a hole, and I can attach them together with some plastic ties.

Well, that is what I am thinking, but I am open to suggestions.

Anyone.... ?

I had thought to use net lights a couple years ago, thought it was a *great idea*! Until I did the math as to just how many nets I'd need... I ended up buying like 18 or 20 total, and somehow thought I had almost enough... Then I ran the numbers again and realized that 20 would only cover about 1/4 of my SMALL house on the one side! YIKES! I'd need close to 80+ to do the whole thing, and at 150 lights per net, that's about 40 amps of power to do the front side of my roof.

I am thinkin bout doing my roof next year and thought net lights would do it but 80+ ??yea i think there might be better solution than that, plus i want to be able to have it on my controller have the chasing affect accross the roof. but not sure how to do it now.

Pull a heavy clothes hanger from the bottom to make a 1 foot wire with a hook -

=======--? (you get the idea)

Attach this to the end of your light string and connect the hook to the nail in your gutter. The clothes hanger length will keep your light plug out of the gutter. Pull the string to the top of the roof and connect to the eve vent or piece of wood on the back side. Repeat.

Glenn

Pull a heavy clothes hanger from the bottom to make a 1 foot wire with a hook -

=======--? (you get the idea)

Attach this to the end of your light string and connect the hook to the nail in your gutter. The clothes hanger length will keep your light plug out of the gutter. Pull the string to the top of the roof and connect to the eve vent or piece of wood on the back side. Repeat.

Glenn

Not sure that I understand, but I havent finished my first cup of coffee yet. However... this gave me an idea.

<<edit... started typing the idea and it wasnt very good>>

The 1x1 furring strips with the cup hooks would allow me to have the strings every (x) inches, and they would be spaced evenly.

I picked up a few strips and some hooks on my way home last night, but I didnt get time to try it out. Sort of afraid that I will end up taking all of the current roof lights down and trying out this idea.... and it is a little late to be switching everything :-)

Did mine with staples. I have 32 (actually 64 since I am using 2 color)strings of lights on a 13X24 garage roof. I have them spaced 1 string every 9 inches. Since the shingles are 12 inches wide I used them as a guide. They are folded in half, so each 100 mini set is only 13 feet long.

I checked out the nets yesterday, but they would be going in a different direction than my plan.

I really want to have the different colors on the roof on different channels. Like someone else posted, the piano effect.

i know its not the same as minis, but how about spot lights? it would require alot less spotlights then minis, and you could still have them angled so you can do a sweep across the roof. i am planning on doing some lights on the roof next year also, and am trying to figure which would be the best option for me. i might look into getting a bunch of MR16's to light up the house and roof in different colors, and relatively low amp's.

I used some shingle clips two years ago, and my coworkers made a point to tell me that isnt a good thing to do in Florida. It breaks part of the seal the shingles have, and the hurricane season likes to push water under the shingles. So.... I am in search of a different way

Thanks for the different ideas

I have made some premade sections of lights by zip tie'ing them to light weight plastic rollup fencing. This might also be usable for roof lights. You can make them on the ground and then just roll out a section and attach at top and bottom. I did this because I needed a complex pattern of many colors, and had to be able to setup and break down quickly for a road show. It is great, just roll it up when you are done. I put cheap plastic trash bags on top to keep the layers from getting tangled. Easy to store and transport.

- Michael

I've been covering my roof for years and all I use is clips at the top and bottom. It works fine for me. However I want to do more. Ideally someday I'd like to do a roof grid. I'm thinking 2' squares in three colors. so that would be 480 channels:eek: 30 controllers:eek: 500 more cords:eek:.....

I am set for power now.

How do i tell my wife:cool: Any ideas?

I've checked into black plastic fencing. It's not too expensive.

All I'd have to do is spend the summer tiewrapping lights to a fence...

• 10 months later...

I used to use the plastic clips which worked great until I had a new roof put on and they wouldn't slide under the new shingles. Last year I used 3/8 T50 staples and ran lights across every other lap of roofing and it worked great. The staples are not long enough to damage the shingles but ARE long enough to hold the lights in place through snow and ice.

I use the plastic clips every year. Here in Fl they only last about 2 seasons. 3 if I'm lucky. I only use 100ct minis to do mine. I attached some pics. I have more in my albums on here. Its very easy to set up with the minis. It just takes some time to do. My roof uses about 15K of minis.

I've got to show my wife those pics. She complains about me getting the 10k lights on the garage.

I just finished my roof on Wednesday. 10,000 LEDS. Alternating color of the strings (one white then one red). Took almost six hours.

I only use the shingle clips. Usually 3 to 4 clips per string (I go from gutter to peak to gutter).

Chris

I just finished my roof on Wednesday. 10,000 LEDS. Alternating color of the strings (one white then one red). Took almost six hours.

I only use the shingle clips. Usually 3 to 4 clips per string (I go from gutter to peak to gutter).

Chris

I have done that same concept only I did every 3 rows. It made it look more candy striped.

post-247-129571160134_thumb.jpg