Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Pastaboy62

"dj" through the transmitter

I was wondering if any one has been able to hook up their FM transmitters to a Microphone and be able to talk out of it. I was thinking that it would be pretty cool but I would probably freak out the viewers. Just looking for some input into that idea. Thanks

The late great Chuck Hastings (he's not dead, just gone) purchased a Ramsey 100b for this very purpose. It has a separate input channel for a microphone.

Scott Taybrynn uses an audio mixer. Not sure if he uses a mic, but this is a good solution as microphones have specific pre-amplification needs. You can pick up a used mixer for next to nothing on fee bay.

Edited by iresq
Fixed Scott's last name. Sorry.

I have an FM100B and a EDM with a Yamaha mixer. Both the FM100B and a mixer are capable of doing this.

I have thought about using it when I can hear the sound from the visitors all the way in the house. :D

I do have an akg c1000s mic hooked up to the mixer, but haven't had the nerve (or the need) to try my hand at DJ'ing during the show.

We have the capabilities with the transmitter. Have never used it yet. Though I gotta tell you it's tempting during the day when all the lights are off and you see someone in their car trying to tune in to the radio station... That would relly freak them out!

Don't you mean Chuck Hutchins ??

The late great Chuck Hastings (he's not dead, just gone) purchased a Ramsey 100b for this very purpose...

Indeed. He's been gone so long, forgetting his name. That's OK, I also spelled Taybrynn's last name incorrectly.

OK, so that's three mistakes. I am placing myself in a self imposed time out (hoping for the Cowboys to fall to the Steelers). :D

You're not helping your case here, better stay an extra 5 minutes in time out for this one

OK, so that's three mistakes. I am placing myself in a self imposed time out (hoping for the Cowboys to fall to the Steelers). :D

This year we did this for the first time-- well sorta. We have several shows saved on SD Cards. We use AL equipment. We change the shows often. I had the Demented Elf do voice only (no music bed) announcements for us. I then calculated intro and closing to the songs. I keep this information and the voice track number on the cd on a chart next to the "broadcast station". Using a Carver CD with a Ramsey FM100B we mix randomly (not all the time - or between each song) a different voice over between the songs. It really sounds good, and it fills up the couple of seconds of dead air between the programmed songs. Yes you have to be there to do the mixing, but we only do it during heavy traffic time.

I think it works well because you can change up the show on the fly. I haven't thought of using a Mic to say anything, but we have in the past inserted virtual santa's sound track in the show as well.

Merry Christmas Everyone!

On a related not. I can remember having so much "lunch duty" in 8th grade ... that at the end of the year, I was happy that I didn't have to serve my remaining 3 weeks ... since school was out.

I got most of that "duty" in a retaliation throw after someone hit me with a snowball from behind. So I returned fire in a genius "no look" throw ... but only hit the Vice Principal instead, who has stepped between me and the original thrower. :eek:

Anyways, I did do a little DJ'ing during last nights show, but every time I said something ... my daughters were like "DAD, what are YOU doing?!!" ... I admire the people who can do this for real ... it's a lot harder than it looks.

If your music is coming from a PC, could you just use the mic input of the PC?

Thats what I was wondering. I'll give it a shot when I get home tonight...

Don't forget to make sure your microphone is enabled. In sound properties, click on recording, and make sure the box for microphone is checked.