keeping cat out of wifes village

I need some ideas to keep my cat out of my wifes village. While asleep or away from home Wicket our cat likes to take the village people hostage and hide them through out the house, or some die in the village it self. Anybody have ideas that don't include locking him up that just makes the hostage taking and killing worse.

Thanks for all the replys. Locking him up is not really an option he just destroys the room he's locked up in. I do like the mouse trap idea, what kind of bait should I use;). I try to scare him away from the village (stomping, yelling, clapping etc..) but he just looks at me like so..

Here's a picture of the little PUNK!!!!

I need some ideas to keep my cat out of my wifes village. While asleep or away from home Wicket our cat likes to take the village people hostage and hide them through out the house, or some die in the village it self. Anybody have ideas that don't include locking him up that just makes the hostage taking and killing worse.

Most lawn and garden stores sell a product called Liquid Fence. It is designed to keep vermin out of the garden. It is made from dog urine. One little spray and the cat will go nowhere near it.

If you can find a way to make it uncomfortable for the kitties, they will leave it alone. But this is really cute kitten antics. It won't be long before those active baby kittens will be doscile house cats...no more climbing Christmas tress (they stop when the tree no longer supports them) and no more village people taken hostage...all of which will be fond rememberances soon. I'm sure you can come up with a funny Christmas story about the Giant Cat that ate the village! Maybe for next year's PC Christmas card list!

I'd recommend the Scat mat, as it will work when you are away also.

Be sure it is big enough, they come in several sizes.

I loved the squirt gun thing myself. Great for target practice. It is important you not let the cats see you squirt them. They should not know where the water is coming from.

There is a product calle Rue that is a plant common in England that is supposed to repel cats. You might find it in a herbal store.

In all honesty I do have an excellent way to keep them out

go to home depot and buy 2 or 3 self stick adhesive vinyl floor squares, just get the cheapest one they have. Then cut it into strips or pieces that will fit in front of the village. Peel off the backing and lay it face down. When the cat jumps up getting that sticky feeling on his paws will not be something he likes. The cat may jump up a few more times, but be vigilant about keeping it up there after several days you can take it away and the cat will now associate that spot as someplace he doesn't want to be. He may test it again later, but that probably won't be till after the holidays.

The great thing is - it doesn't smell, it won't hurt or scare the cat, and it works when you're not there

Im haveing troubles with my 2 kittens climbing up the middle of the xmas tree, and then finding a nice comfy branch to nap on and smack around some balls. some times i forget to lock them up while away

I know the feeling. Usually the higher the better.

post-3553-12957109291_thumb.jpg

I agree with squirting the cat with a water bottle. I've always had cats and they learn quick with the water that they dont want to continue with whatever bad behavior is getting them wet.

I have 2 cats right now and neither of them pay any attn to the tree or the village. Our cat Bismarck does like to sit under the tree and just watch everything but thats the extent of it. I'm actually more worried about the Husky/Shepherd we got earlier in the yr. I have a feeling that dog is going to drive me crazy when we put our tree up.

I forgot about something I did years ago to keep our cats off of a window sill. I took a piece of plexiglass and bent it into a v then set it down on the front of the sill so there was not a nice spot to land. They just jumped up and had no where to land and slid back off to the ground where they would invariably clean off their embarrassment with their tongue :P They'd always have the "I meant to do that" look on their face.:D

We have 4 cats one of which loves water, one hates it and the other two could care less if you sprayed them. The one that loves water has been known to jump into the tub with you while showering. He'll try to catch the water like its a toy.

Edited by Toymakr000

Instead of yelling at the cat, try a squirt gun or spray bottle on thin stream mode filled with water. They get hit by a spray and do not know where it came from. It has more of a lasting effect because when you are not in the room, they might think it will still get them.

It got to a point that all we had to do was set the water bottle where they were not supose to go, and they would not ever jump there.

- Michael

In all honesty I do have an excellent way to keep them out

go to home depot and buy 2 or 3 self stick adhesive vinyl floor squares, just get the cheapest one they have. Then cut it into strips or pieces that will fit in front of the village. Peel off the backing and lay it face down. When the cat jumps up getting that sticky feeling on his paws will not be something he likes. The cat may jump up a few more times, but be vigilant about keeping it up there after several days you can take it away and the cat will now associate that spot as someplace he doesn't want to be. He may test it again later, but that probably won't be till after the holidays.

The great thing is - it doesn't smell, it won't hurt or scare the cat, and it works when you're not there

Could you just use double sticky carpet tape?

I know the feeling. Usually the higher the better.

LoL, here is a pic of my 2 trouble makers, lately with all the lock ups and yellin they have endured, they have been stayin out of the tree, but now they have a fetish for candy canes that hang around

dsc00251mm2.jpg

Edited by GaMeR

Well I tried the squirt gun, got a good sniper shot didn't budge. Then I kept squirting him, after unloading the gun and a soaking wet cat I went over picked him up put him down on the floor. I walked away to fill my squirt gun again come back and back in the village again. Well I guess I mad him mad kind of looked like a godzilla movie, many people died. So as I cleaned up the carnage I discoved something, somebody had spilled some catnip on the "snow" I guess he just needed a fix. I cleaned up the cat nip sprayed some Febreeze and he hasn't been up on the village for a few hours. Hope it keeps up, now he's attacking the train under the tree, I guess he just dosen't like Christmas.:)

How to keep cats out of your tree:

Go to the hardware store and buy some netting that goes around trees and shrubs to keep the birds out. Cut a circular piece out and place it on top of the bottom branches. Without an easy path up the middle, it'll keep them out. Worked for this regular tree climber.

To keep the cats out of your village:

I agree with the clear double-sided tape (I found some at the office supply stores). They hate touching it and it blends right in. Once they find a couple places where you've placed it, they'll avoid the entire area. Works great on furniture as well.

At least they aren't leaving any "gifts" for the villagers.

And those kitties are so furry. Maybe you just need to hire a Pan Flute band?

post-4303-12957109315_thumb.jpg