Gemmy Icicle Lights

craigsrobotics

Has anyone had any problems with rain gathering in the new 2008 Gemmy Icuicle light fixtures? I have a few with some rain water in them, and it looks as if the circuit and LED area are sealed, so I don't know if this will affect anything. I have not turned tham on since the rain storm, but I did poke a small pinhole at the bottom of the plastic fixture to let the water drain...Anyone had any (un)luck with this after a rain?:)

I don't have the icicle ones, however I do have the large "C" series bulbs. I love them and think they are a really neat and nice addition to the display. We had about 2 days of driving rain on Wednesday and Thursday and I noticed last night that one strand was not in sync with the others. I unplugged them and that didn't help. Tonight when my LOR show came on the X10 units turn on the Gemmy light shows. Well that strand that was out of sync now doesn't work at all. It is about 30 feet in the air in a tree, so I am not going up to fix it, but I have to contact Gemmy and see what they say. I will post what they tell me.

I contacted Gemmy, and here is the answer I got regarding this issue:

Thank you for your Gemmy purchase! Please try unplugging the light strand for a few moments and plugging it back in. Make sure that each strand is plugged directly into one another; the first strand should be plugged directly into the wall outlet or extension cord. If the strands do not automatically synch up or if they are not functioning properly, please return it to the store for an exchange or refund.

Thank you,

Customer Service

Thanks for the info...I ended up poking pinholes in the bottom of the ones having water in them, and left them off for two days...I powered them on, and low and behold, all worked fine - for a while...I now have one strand where two , sometimes 3 on them don't synch properly, and one goes totally dark...It's intermittent, and happens when moisture gets to them, apparently...I too am going to ride it out, as the ones that are misbehaving are about 12 feet high also. Other than that, I'm thinking water doesn't have a detrimental affect, only a temporary operational effect...

Thanks

:)

I'm also having "rain" issues with the Gemmy frosted light show balls.

After it rains the balls do fill with water, some not all, maybe about an 1/8 full.

Then certain balls do not work like the others.

Maybe they stay lit or change different colors than the others during the "show".

So I took a small screwdriver to take the ball assembly apart.

The LED chamber slides into the ball, there is no rubber washer here, so thats how the water gets into the ball.

The LED chamber(That's where the circuit board containing the LEDs is) is sealed with a white rubbery caulk-like substance, does not look like much water could get into that area, but drops do(not many 1 or 2).

I'm thinking of adding addition caulk to the area where the main string wires run into the LED chamber so that the circuit board gets no droplets.

What type of caulk can be used for this area?

I'll take some pictures of a ball apart so that what I have said makes some sense.

When the Gemmy frosted light show bulbs are working correctly, it is Awesome!

I have four strings lining my driveway and it is so cool how they all work together.

By the way, it's raining again today.:mad:

Same here...I took apart one of the lights this weekend, and they're sealed with that white rubbery material. It looks as if there are small LED driver boards in each light, as well as the main driving computer. Not sure how it all interacts together...One of my lights was totally out. Not sure if there is a bad component or not...you're right, tho, when the system works as designed, it IS awesome. I noticed after a rain storm this weeked, that another strand is acting erratically. After being on and in cool air for a while, that strand is functioning normally...not sure how temperature affects LED circuit operations...ANY IDEAS? :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well I took down the decorations today.

The Gemmy Frosted LED light show balls will never go outside again!

Water was in the sealed LED chamber, the circuit-driver board was totally in water. This was only one ball, I'm sure other chambers were wet too.

(This string did not work properly- 2 others did)

Drying out all 3 strings in the basement with a dehumidifier, may have to take 75 balls apart to really dry them out.

Yeah, I took mine down the other day...2 of the eight strands of icicle lights did not synch properly...I plugged in each set individually and tested them. The two which did not work properly had moisture in the driver board compartment...I didn't even check the icicle part of them...I've stored them until next year...hopefully Gemmy will "rework" their design!!! I got them for $25 a box, and hopefully they'll be cheaper next year...:D