Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
MaxTheReindeer

Need Louder Speaker For Gemmy

Hi Guys,

I just bought a Gemmy light show and I was wondering if there is a way to attach a louder speaker? Maybe a guitar amp or something? Is that an RCA plug or some proprietary thing that plugs into the speaker? Sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn't seem to find a defenite answer when searching.

i opened the one i used last year and added a headphone jack to it along with a selection switch so i could turn the internal off and the jack on or both on at the same time.

Last year, I opened mine to add a 1/8 jack for a transmitter. You could do the same for an external amp.

I think the other 2 posters are thinking of the Mr. Christmas controler, not the new Gemmy "light show" that just came out this fall...

I *think* the speaker plug on the gemmy is a standard RCA type plug. I know there's others that have bought adapters to connect their FM transmitter to that plug.

If you want a new speaker I know it needs to be a "powered" type (the kind with a small amp in it) because the power the Gemmy puts out is not sufficient to drive any more speaker than what came with it. I know the sound quality of the speaker on mine isn't good at all. It sounded "blown" from day one. The speaker used on the Mr. Christmas model is 100 times better, but the MIDI music it used will drive you to drink if you have to listen to it for more than a few minutes.

I would say use a few small guitar amps from Walmart if you wanted and get a dual RCA to quarter inch adapters, one for each amp, and a long RCA cord to go from the box to the first amp. There will be only one plug in the dual RCA-1/4 inch, so you can take another cable and run that off the other input on the plug to the next amp and daisy chain them all. Then wrap all the amps in garbage bags and tape shut.

I would say use a few small guitar amps from Walmart if you wanted and get a dual RCA to quarter inch adapters, one for each amp, and a long RCA cord to go from the box to the first amp. There will be only one plug in the dual RCA-1/4 inch, so you can take another cable and run that off the other input on the plug to the next amp and daisy chain them all. Then wrap all the amps in garbage bags and tape shut.

Wouldn't that be a little overkill?

The speaker needs to be a 4 to 8 ohm speaker. Many are 8 to 16 ohm and there's the difference. Having the speaker match the system is a big help. Well, that is unless you are trying to be heard for long distances. That's when the powered speakers will help.

Overkill? I can't believe people on this forum are talking about overkill. ;)

There is no such thing as overkill my friend. Get yourself one of these units.

Spinal_Tap_05Custom.jpg

Guest Troy

What you could do is run a splitter from your mp3 or portable CD player, plug one line into your gemmy unit and the other into a amp. or powered speakers...Also a little tip for users of the Gemmy Unit, I have the one with the extra box (12 channels), when you burn cd's or if you use a mp3 player, make sure you convert the tracks to mono, the animation is much better than with stereo tracks, the stereo tracks just seem to blinky.

You can get Audicity (spelling) for free and it does a nice job with audio tracks.