i am tired and done

I am sorry to read your post. Did you get hit with that bad storm?

I started with LOR this year. It didn't end up being a part of my display because I ran out of time. I decided that it would wait until next year so I could enjoy my lights and keep my sanity.

It's to close to the holidays to be stressing over lights. Take a break from it all and plan for next year. I have come to realize that I'll only accomplish a small portion of my grand plans each year. So the display only grows a tiny amount each year. But that's ok.

I hope you continue to have a display even if it is a static one. Remember, we are our own worst critics. The public loves looking at the lights even when we think they should be better. :)

I agree Tim, do a static display. I love static displays. I think what I like the most about them is how bright they are. Mine is all static except for a line of 12 mini trees that I have connected to a L&S box. No programming needed for that, just plug it in and let it rip.

Hey Bull

I know your feeling all too well myself.

I haven't been decorating my house much other than a couple of lights here and there and a star that I built as a kid for the last 20 years.

I decided this year that I needed to finally get off my butt and do something to show a little Christmas sprirt.

I have "invested" about $5000 so far in approx. 15,000 LEDs, 112 channels of LOR, an FM transmitter, etc, etc.

I have had 2 bad accidents that screwed up my legs and back bad this year as well as an ambulance ride to the hospital (that one turned into tests for masses on kidneys so far) as well as general illnesses.

Oh, and no insurance to cover any of this!!!

I almost gave up in November because I could only go and work for an hour or so before my back and leg would be in such pain that I couldn't stand it and had to lie down for a few hours. And I still have to go work some everyday to pay the bills since I am self-employed.

Well I kept chipping away at things and finally got my lights set up and running a little over a week ago.

I am not really pleased at things and I want to change many things just because I want it all to be super looking, but at least it is up and running.

I got 4 - 4 color mini trees, a mega tree with 56 strands of LEDs, 2 colors of lights around the windows, roof, and deck, and 3 inflatables that I seem to have to stand up every few hours the last 2 days due to high winds here. I have only sequenced 1 of the songs that I run (currently 8 in the show). The others are ones that I picked up from people on here and played the "cut and paste" method just so I would have something to run for this year.

I have thought more than once to just say "awe the h___ with this" and give up.

But 2 nights ago I was coming home from a job late and as I was pulling into my drive there were 3 cars sitting out front watching the light show.

Well one of the cars rolled down the windows and yelled out to me that they loved the lights and I decided to walk out and chat just to be nice even though I was dirty, tired, sore, and hungry from not eating since 11 AM and it was 8:30 at night.

So as I am getting up to one of the cars, another car door opens and a family from another town 20 miles away gets out and their little girl who was probably 6 or 7 years old comes running over to me and gives me a big hug and tells me how much she loves my "lighty show".

Trust me that after that I won't give up no matter how much I hurt. That one encounter has more than made up for all the money, time, and aggravation that this may have caused me. I am insignificant in comparison to the joy that just that one little girl has gotten from this and I am going to work even harder to make my display bigger, better, and longer running next year.

It is easy to reach the breaking point at times with this stuff since it does seem to consume us and take all our free time (what's that LOL) sometimes. And I too am struggling with the programing end of things with LOR myself. It can be VERY frustrating some days when I know how I want something to look in the display and can't seem to get it to work out for me. But I will just walk away and do something else for awhile and come back later and plug away at it again.

I got mad the other day with sequencing and had to leave it for awhile. I ended up in my basement puttering and now I am in the process of building 2 - 20 foot arches that will have 2240 M5 minis (2 colors on each arch) and 32 channels of LOR control on each arch :eek:.

Just what I need, more controllers and lights to figure out how to program :rolleyes: !

So take a break and step back and ask yourself why you do this. Sure it can be frustrating and tough at times, but if it was really easy then everybody would have an animated light display on their house right?

Plus the rush from seeing that display light up for the first time is an incredible feeling as well as just one little child telling you "Thank You" will make all the troubles melt away.

Hang in there and good luck.

Drop me a Pm or email if you would like to chat and I will be happy to swap "horror stories" with you about this hair pulling sequencing stuff :D.

Bill

Edited by beeiilll

When I first started animating my static display I wasn't aware of PC. I didn't even know there were others out there doing it. It was unbelievably difficult and foreign to me. I'll have to say it wasn't until my third year that I felt comfortable at all. Some pick it up faster than others. I wouldn't freak about it. Stay static, polish your animating skills and down the road make the jump, or not, there is something to be said about that glow that only a static display can provide.

I'm going to approach Bull's comments from another angle.

This is an odd hobby we have. So much love for the finished product but utter frustration when things don't run smoothly. If people get into this hobby to relax, they'll soon find that staying up late to wrap those mini trees or falling asleep at the computer while trying to find the perfect sequence isn't as soothing as they thought it would be.

Would I trade the frustrations for anything? Nope. Is this hobby for everyone? Nope. It would be a loss for the PC community for certain but MAYBE he's just not feeling the joy that we get from decorating. It is possible for someone to jump in with both feet, realize they don't have the patience for it, and jump back out.

Good luck with your decision Bull.

Hey Bull

Trust me that after that I won't give up no matter how much I hurt. That one encounter has more than made up for all the money, time, and aggravation that this may have caused me. I am insignificant in comparison to the joy that just that one little girl has gotten from this and I am going to work even harder to make my display bigger, better, and longer running next year.

Very well said!

-Chris

Bull, I hope you stay at it. You are a good member of PC. Try static next year and play around with one controller with no attention of using it. You may find something clicks and you start to get the hang of it when the pressure is gone. I have had 1 16 ch controller for 3 years. I am finally getting the basics down.

Good luck my friend!

Have a Blessed Christmas!

Well a little up date on my status on my LOR problem well i called a friend of mine who is owns a LOR he helped me thru it with my brother who knows programing and talked it tru it with him now i think i have a show with the LOR i hope to set up a LOR display late this year and video tape it one day soon so thanks to everyone who helped with some kind words i am a person with lots of mental problems i have real bad ADD and ADHD i cant stay on one topic at all

so thanks to all

bull

Bull,

I wanted to share this with you. This is reason that we spend countless hours creating our displays. Yes, I think most of us are OCD ,ACD, or something... I received this from my website. I hear the stories, but I never rec'd had the feedback that some members have. I do not know who sent this as my link does not capture email addresses. I promise that there is someone with a story like this who have seen your display. This is what makes it all worth the time, money, and energy!

Keep up the great work!

Survey

> --------------------------------------------

> Did you like our Display Yes

> What Songs would you like to see in a future display really miss the Trans

> Siberian Orchestra songs -was a great blend of christmas and technology

> with your display. Please consider bring one of those songs back from last

> year.

> Please provide any suggestions to improve the Display I have a 6 year old

> who has had 5 brain surgerys over the past 4years. After being in the

> hospital a few years ago we found your house from word of mouth on the way

> back to our house after being at Childrens for 2months.

>

> Your display was (name Deleted) first smile after having a complex

> proceedure(3rd ventriculostomy) that was very intrusive and high risk at

> his age.

>

> Over the past 2 years he cannot wait to drive by your house at Christmas

> time(sometimes 3 to 4 times a season). At 6years old he is healthy and

> god has blessed us in that he has so far been able to pull out of his

> condition.

>

> Given your lights was the first thing he saw after his surgery a few years

> ago from a long hospital stay. He believes that it is somehow a magic

> house that has made him better.

>

> We wont stifle his dream, but tell him yes, its a house that displays

> lights in celebration of Jesus' birthday, and for that I cannot thankyou

> enough. You have touched my family and im sure many others in way you

> might not realize.

>

> Thankyou! God Bless

Ken, thanks for sharing that -- it's really cool.

Just wanted to let you know that on Safari (Mac's web browser) your website is unviewable. Even after waiting the 30-40 seconds for the page to "unveil" itself, I'm unable to scroll down (the page will scroll, but immediately jump back up to the top). I'm also not a fan of sites that play music -- gets me into trouble at work ;)

-Tim

Thanks Tim. My son added the music in 2006. I agree, I need to take it off, but I am sooooooo dumb when it comes to editing... I also added a countdown clock back in OCt, and it really did something to the load. I deleted it, but the wite loads very slowly. I need to add new pictures, just finding the time is difficult. Since the show just ended, I'll see what I can do... I have had over 5K hit so far this year, and I really need to get it fixed.. Maybe I'll convience my boss to allow me to "work from home" one day this week.

Bull, I for one will miss you ... had no idea of your problems ... your always a sharp guy with interesting posts. I also find your avatars very interesting and unique.

I can understand the frustrations ... and I honestly didn't know if I'd get mine show working at all this first year, up till even the night before it finally worked.

The last time my Dad came over, he told me how proud he was of me. He told me that not many people can take something this ambitious and actually pull it off. Coming from my Dad, those words meant a lot.

Just when I started to get my first case of the winter blues ... a guy knocked on my door and told me I just made his entire family happy and he thanked my 6 or 7 times. That cheered me up like you can't imagine.

Then tonight, I got a call from a neighbor ... thanking me for doing the show and telling me how wonderful it was. I'm not in this for myself, but knowing you made others happy sure feels good.

So be proud of yourself for everything you did accomplish, because it's a lot. Perfection isn't attainable ... but doing your best is.

Hopefully your feeling better soon ... were like a big family here ... and we all have those days when we think we should just throw in the towel.

Whatever you decide to do ... you have made friends here and made an impression on us all. It sounds like with a little help, your already doing much better.

Scott

Well a little up date on my status on my LOR problem well i called a friend of mine who is owns a LOR he helped me thru it with my brother who knows programing and talked it tru it with him now i think i have a show with the LOR i hope to set up a LOR display late this year and video tape it one day soon so thanks to everyone who helped with some kind words i am a person with lots of mental problems i have real bad ADD and ADHD i cant stay on one topic at all

so thanks to all

bull

Thats more like it... actually I noticed you didnt ask anyone HERE or mention what your problem is. Maybe your planetchristmas buds could have helped too.

From your first message, I coudnt tell if it was you needed help programming or maybe controllers didnt want to work, etc.

Just take a deep breath, count to ten, and then spell out exactly what is wrong and what you neeed help with.

Also you shouldnt be stuck like this on the 15th or after of December. If its programming, maybe next year, do your new year's programming in September so there are no last minute or "ruined holiday light show" suprises at the last minute.

I dont wait around... You want to know what I did on Valentines day? Worked on a sequence and video combination for this year's Christmas show. Want to know what I did on tax day April 15th? Worked on another video and sequence combo. Want to know what I did on memorial day? Same thing... July 4th?? I made a animated cartoon santa waving his arms to match the lights on my Wizards in Winter light show on the days off associated with July 4. The family got on my case all year long, Christmas Christmas Christmas... thats all you think about! Well but the year round effort is paying off now with one of the best shows I've ever produced and unlike last year where my videos look like some amateur hacks, they really have a great professional look that is catching attention of local TV stations, where even the TV station technicians now are asking ME advice on how I pulled off some of my video tricks and effects.

The family got on my case all year long, Christmas Christmas Christmas... thats all you think about!
I did that same thing ... but then the songs were all done BEFORE crunch time ... and it was only setting up stuff (which was stressful enough).

Plus working on those songs in the off-season put me in a great mood ... more often than not.

do u all agree its frustrating at times and tireing at times

and also i am 26 yrs old and my display is getting so big its seems to me that everyday i am getting older and its getting harder to do is that a bad thought or is that the truth??

do u all agree its frustrating at times and tireing at times

and also i am 26 yrs old and my display is getting so big its seems to me that everyday i am getting older and its getting harder to do is that a bad thought or is that the truth??

Oh my... a youngun... thats about when I started on the road to Computerized Christmas display... was about 28 yrs... now 43 years old and bursitus in the knee making it hard to kneel down and put lights in the grass, but experience and patience makes things happen... sometimes even the older you get, experience makes it easier to some degree (not only that but the biggest advise is learn to rope in some younger people in the family or neighborhood and get them to help put up things at set up time!)

I agree, it is very frustrating at times. My display more than doubled this year and it is still relatively small compared to most on here. It seemed like it would never end. I am not much older than you and every year seems harder and harder. I just keep thinking of the end result. I know there are people in town including the kids that are wondering what it will look like. I remember growing up and my Dad taking us for a ride to see the lights. Every year you kind of get an expectation of certain houses. I started decorating for myself but I keep doing it for everyone who likes to look at them. It was a tradition to look at the lights every year. I don't want to take anything away from those kids that look forward to it.

For me growing up, looking at the lights every year was one of a few good memories I had. I think it had a big positive impact and is probably the reason I started decorating.

Anyway, whatever the reason you decorate, keep it up. I think everybody goes through this and you are not alone.

Shaun

Hello Bull

It is not how long life is it is the quality of it and the people you touch with your display in their time of stress and despair Sit back and look at what you have accomplish

by yourself and friends that you have in time of need.Bay steps for you awsome display for others.

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Denis