Major Light O Rama Problems

MD88F/O

Just a list of what has happened in the last 24 hours!

1. Controller #1 - the Cat 5 input port - stop working

2. Controller #3 - the Cat 5 input port - stop working

3. Controller #5 - At least 6 bad Channels

4. Controller #2 - Burned Up! Sparks, Fire etc.

Had to order another 2 controllers today! I am pretty disappointed with the Light o Rama product this year! Over $2,000 invested in them this year, over $4,000 total - and my show is running 100% success less than 50% of the time!

www.acarpenterchristmas.shutterfly.com

Yikes. Your experience is clearly not in the norm (at least for people who post here and on lor).

It does appear that more people have posted problems this year than ever before but almost all of them (except for a rash of apparent triac failures) were from lack of experience.

I suspect/hope Dan treats you well getting these boards straightened out.

Can you offer any help to others with what may have caused such catastrophic failures? Were these all one kind of controller or mixed? Self built or complete? Any idea what caused the fire? Many keep their boards inside.

What does it mean to have a "Cat 5 input port - stop working"?

Can you physically not plug a cable in there anymore? Otherwise how have you traced it to that particular component?

Regarding "Controller #2 - Burned Up! Sparks, Fire etc."

I think you need to elaborate on this one, assuming you're asking for help and not just venting... One controller flaming-out could effect the entire LOR network for the worse...

-Tim

I am a little interested in why you didn't contact LOR. I am yet to hear a case...mine included...where they were not willing to either fix the problems or replace all the controllers. I had an issue with a triac on Thanksgiving day, and that night Dan personally had emailed me back and was willing to overnight me the part.

I'm like everyone else and would like to hear or see what really happened.

I am a little interested in why you didn't contact LOR.

Ponddude, to be fair Art did not comment about contacting LOR. I am sure he has. It is also not clear if these failures happened this year or he is venting about his entire experience with LOR.

I hope he will elaborate.

I have had 12 LOR controllers for three years. In that time I have had a triac or two go bad. I believe this has happened mostly when I had the channel overloaded. Dan and LOR have provided fantastic customer service. On the surface it sounds like MD88F/O has a significant grounding problem. The CAT 5 ports are in fact serial ports and they can not stand a very big difference in ground potentials. The fire could also be explained by a grounding issue.

I hope MD88F/O gets it all straightened out.

Yeah sounds like just a rough time but grounding is def a possibility. Again as far as LOR and problems I have found them wonderful to work with and they always get back with me in about 24-48 hours. Sorry to hear that you have had problems but I am sure dan and mary and the rest of the LOR crew will take care of you.

Edited by Steven Singleton Jr.

Ponddude, to be fair Art did not comment about contacting LOR. I am sure he has. It is also not clear if these failures happened this year or he is venting about his entire experience with LOR.

I hope he will elaborate.

Please don't take it as I was scalding him, as it was not my intention. It just seems odd to me that this would happen to 4 controllers. I would just think that contact LOR would be my first step. But like you said, he may not have done so.

Art, I would head on over to the LOR boards and post there as well. While I don't completely understand the operations of the boards themselves, there are plenty of people over there who do. I am sure they are more then willing to help.

While not a LOR person, I could see how a failure in one of the controllers (say, the one that caught fire), could have taken the rest with it.

A short somewhere in that controller could have found it's way into the RS485 network, sending 125v through devices that are only designed for 5v (or is it 12? Either way).

I do know that the LOR folks will help you to the best of their ability ;)

What does it mean to have a "Cat 5 input port - stop working"?

Can you physically not plug a cable in there anymore? Otherwise how have you traced it to that particular component?

Regarding "Controller #2 - Burned Up! Sparks, Fire etc."

I think you need to elaborate on this one, assuming you're asking for help and not just venting... One controller flaming-out could effect the entire LOR network for the worse...

-Tim

Inside the controller, there are two cat 5 ports. One is for an input, the other is for the output to the next controller's input. Two of my controllers inputs do not work. I was able to get them to play by just plugging into the output port (cat 5 port on the right). I traced it to this particular component because I could not get a steady red light with anything plugged into these ports. As far as the burned up one, it worked fine and then I walked outside in the morning and it started popping and sparking and smoking. Don't know what is up with that. The other controller just did not work! Multiple channels were not working. I ordered two new controllers and got them today! I hope things work better.