1200 C9 LED in 60' copper beech tree

Had my tree guy spend 6 hours stringing 2 weeks back he was into it so we put up many branches worth - it gets rave reviews all around. All lights are GE C9 from LOWeS and ran $10 for 50. I was very happy..... till today I find 30 odd globes all over the yard full of ice. Ughhhhhhh what to do - will they take them all back so I can get real lights next year?!?!??!! Total rookie in CT

You mean the plastic covers are filling with water, freezing, and the popping off?

I have a ton of the GE LED's too, and haven't had a problem with them yet. I had ONE socket that the cover fell off when I was installing the lights, and when I tired to snap it back on it broke it. From 10+ feet back I can't even tell which bulb dosn't have the cover on it.

I'd say, as long as the strings of LED's are still working, I'd just hang onto the covers till you take everything down and try to pop them back on then...

I think the GE strings are good quality overall, but I only have most of 1 season on mine so far. The test will be when I bring them out next year if they haven't corroded or anything. I have had 2 sets fail (both C-6 size) right out of the box, and have a set of the C-9 size red that intermittently works one night and then will be out the next, and then work the next... No clue there!

Had my tree guy spend 6 hours stringing 2 weeks back he was into it so we put up many branches worth - it gets rave reviews all around. All lights are GE C9 from LOWeS and ran $10 for 50. I was very happy..... till today I find 30 odd globes all over the yard full of ice. Ughhhhhhh what to do - will they take them all back so I can get real lights next year?!?!??!! Total rookie in CT

I dont know but you have got to post a picture of this tree lit up...

Jason~

Yes the covers are falling off due to water/ice - I'm guessing that when the water freezes and ice expands the covers pop right off. I've got a pile of the covers and fully expect more. Fun is... I better go comb the yard for more before this snowy blast hits.

I'll get a pic up later today -

Guest Jeff_Womack

Gumbo...the covers are purely for decoration on every set I have ever seen. I have several Home Depot strings that a missing one or more covers but when lit, you can't really tell unless you are looking specifically for the one with a cover.

If you and your neighbors like the look of the tree then I would consider just gluing them back on at the end of the season. The weird thing is they are hollow? Most other sets the cover is solid except a small hole for the diode to fit into.