Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
VanMeterDJ4

Camcorder

I am also in the "market" for a new camcorder.

I have been looking at both the Sony HDD HD models, and the Canon HD models. Aside from wanting to record my christmas lights - I also want one that I can use for scuba diving. (so it would have to have a housing availible also)

I would love to see christmas lights videos (high quality) from some of these cameras to really make my decision, however, I have been going towards the Sony SR12

Edited by fkostyun

When you say 10 and 11, do you mean the HF or HG 10?

It was the HF10 and HF11.

I have been looking at both the Sony HDD HD models

The only reason we stayed away from Sony because of the proprietary memory they use. There is a HandiCam model which directly rivals the HF-10/100.

Personally I think you'll get great video from either model to record your Christmas display and other events. Just expect to pay more for the HF11 initially, and for memory cards if you want to capture full HD.

It was some good information, but you're right. From what I can tell, neither will disappoint. So we just ordered the HF-100 from B&H. Should be here tomorrow :D

Edited by B_Regal78

I'm on my second year with the Canon HV20 and I like it quite a bit. It is MiniDV but I've not had any issues with tape and I get almost an hour's worth of record time from it.

Distance sample: http://www.vimeo.com/2542276

Close-up sample: http://www.vimeo.com/2522623

Please note that those were shot late in the evening, nearly midnight but with a full moon up above. (couldn't get any decent video earlier or at dusk, too many spectator's cars)

I am also in the "market" for a new camcorder.

I also want one that I can use for scuba diving. (so it would have to have a housing availible also)

B&H sells the Equinox HD6 underwater housing for the HF10, 11, and 100. But it ain't cheap. $850, but you get a free $50 B&H gift card with it.

But it ain't cheap. $850

I don't comprehend that number - Let me think - It costs 425 strings of minis or 42,500 lights. Ok, I understand when I convert it to the right currency...

I don't comprehend that number - Let me think - It costs 425 strings of minis or 42,500 lights. Ok, I understand when I convert it to the right currency...

Now that's funny:D

I just got an HF100, and it is driving me crazy. I can't seem to get any decent videos. They are either too dark, or the videos don't look smooth when I play them back on my PC. Can anyone with some experience with this line give me any hints as to optimum settings for shooting videos of my show? Thanks in advance.

My vote is for Canon as well. I own a XH-A1. That's mostly for my sports stuff. I just bought a HV-30. The quality is outstanding and hi-def looks great. You really can't go wrong with any of the Canon's out there.

The HV-30 uses mini DV tapes. I already have a backup (the tape) when I download to the computer. And with tapes, you don't have any type of compression like you do with hard drive and memory card camcorders. But again, you can't go wrong with any of the camcorders out there. Is just a matter of what suits you best.

When taping, keep the gain low. When it's dark, the camcorder will try to brighten the picture. This adds a lot of noise. Play around with the settings other than auto. Happy taping!

Dan T

I'm a fan of tape as well. I just looked at the HV30 (ranked #1 at camcorderinfo). I don't need another toy. I don't need another toy. I don't need another toy. Dan, do you think the fixed view finder will give you problems?

Rstehle,

Are you using a tripod? What settings are you currently using? I would start with 30p, manual focus, no cina mode, FXP quality mode, try both nightmode and fireworks mode. If you can't get good video with those modes, experiment with manual aperature and shutter settings.

You might want to post your question here as there will be more people familiar with this cam.

I'm a fan of tape as well. I just looked at the HV30 (ranked #1 at camcorderinfo). I don't need another toy. I don't need another toy. I don't need another toy. Dan, do you think the fixed view finder will give you problems?

Rstehle,

Are you using a tripod? What settings are you currently using? I would start with 30p, manual focus, no cina mode, FXP quality mode, try both nightmode and fireworks mode. If you can't get good video with those modes, experiment with manual aperature and shutter settings.

You might want to post your question here as there will be more people familiar with this cam.

My Canon HV20 in Fireworks mode is just too dark. I prefer using one of the Night modes, then manually dropping white balance down. Fireworks mode also grossly overloads the color settings. I'm sure it would make, well, Fireworks, look great, but not so much on lights. :)

I got a Canon HV 30 for Christmas and I really dislike it and we are sending it back. It is the kind that uses a tape, and it is a pain to download. I'm getting one that does NOT have a tape!

The camcorderinfo sight likes the hv30 (miniDV tapes based) and the hf100 (flash memory based) best ...

I have the HF11 in hand now and it's wonderful. If only I knew how to use it.

So, I also have a new Vixia HF100 in my sweaty little palms - and have the same problem. How do I get the videos off of the camera? When I place the SD card in the PC, I see MTS files. I know that this is in the HD "MPEG Transport Stream" video format (AVCHD) used by a lot of HD camcorders; however, MovieMaker cannot read it (guess MM does not support HD). Other than using Vegas, is there a way I can convert the MTS file to either AVI or MPG for use with MovieMaker / Media Player or do I have to use that cumbersome software included with the camera? I cannot seem to find any "plug-ins" to allow WMA or MM to recognize this format...

I'm totally unimpressed that Canon can't even give the consumers a download program. They told me to use the Windows Movie Maker, but since I'm on Windows XP, it will not copy it in HD. (It does so in Vista) They didn't even include the firewire cable necessary to upload the files.

It seemed like a pretty nice camcorder, but I felt like the problems were just too many for the price. I didn't like the off/movie/photo dial, too difficult to tell where it is set to.

I just got the Sony HDR SR11 - with a 60 gigabyte hard drive, touch screen menus, Beautiful HD picture. Face recognition for up to 12 people to keep it focused on what matters. Easy to transfer the video to computer with supplied software. Everytime I connect the camera it knows what I have already downloaded and suggests to download only the new stuff.

The manual focus location is much better than other models and is easy to locate while filming in the dark. I can also use the same manual control to change other settings like exposure for the lights.....

And to top it off - it just feels way more rugged than the cannon.

I am very satisfied with the camera. Costco made me a deal I couldn't refuse.

Now trying to work with the HD data on the PC.... That is another story. Seems you need a super computer to edit HD in real time. When I changed the video from AVHC to MPEG2 for DVD burning, the process took nearly an hour for a thirty minute video. So while I have great raw video - it will be a while before I can upgrade the PC to take full advantage of it. But raw video from the camera to a 1080I LCD TV and the WOW factor is high.

DVD burning, the process took nearly an hour for a thirty minute video.

When I do my longer projects, I typically start the render process before bed so it's done in the morning. Even with a fast computer, it takes time.

So, I also have a new Vixia HF100 in my sweaty little palms - and have the same problem. How do I get the videos off of the camera? When I place the SD card in the PC, I see MTS files. I know that this is in the HD "MPEG Transport Stream" video format (AVCHD) used by a lot of HD camcorders; however, MovieMaker cannot read it (guess MM does not support HD). Other than using Vegas, is there a way I can convert the MTS file to either AVI or MPG for use with MovieMaker / Media Player or do I have to use that cumbersome software included with the camera? I cannot seem to find any "plug-ins" to allow WMA or MM to recognize this format...

Getting the files off of the camer is pretty easy. Converting the files to a 'standard' format is what I am working on now. I have found ONE program that works. Look at http://mtsconverter.us/. It will have you download a file from another site, which is the AVS Video Converter. The Canon software is so bad, it's not worth the CD it comes on. I have high hopes that the programmers at videolan.org will soo be able to handle the .mts file format. That will solve a lot of problems.

Gary

Edited by garyfunk

I'm totally unimpressed that Canon can't even give the consumers a download program. They told me to use the Windows Movie Maker, but since I'm on Windows XP, it will not copy it in HD. (It does so in Vista) They didn't even include the firewire cable necessary to upload the files.

It seemed like a pretty nice camcorder, but I felt like the problems were just too many for the price. I didn't like the off/movie/photo dial, too difficult to tell where it is set to.

I don't think *any* of the Hi-Def camcorders come with software to download HDV Darlene. It's the nature of Hi-Def being too new in Camcorders.

I paired my HV20 up with Sony Vegas and I'm making some great videos with it. Sony Vegas on Amazon was under $100 and it handles capture, video editting and a bajillion special effects.

Here's an example of something I finished just last night using the HV20 and Sony Vegas: http://www.vimeo.com/2667640

Please post which settings you find works best for you. 60i, 30p, 24p, cinema mode, for example. I am considering the same camera.

Sorry for the delay in responding. I'm still messing around with the settings. I am shooting at 30p and in the XP+ mode. I'm shooting with those settings based on the Vimeo recommendations. Personally I like the Vimeo look better than YouTube, so I plan to post my videos there, when I finally get something I like.

Also I don't have a Blu-Ray burner, so shooting in the FXP mode doesn't increase the quality of the output I can currently see, and that mode would eat up the SD card quicker.

I have tried the tungsten white balance setting at dusk, but way too blue. It worked well with my digital8 last year, but not this year. The lights look good, but there is a definite bluish tint to everything. Also tried the vivid setting, but lights were blown out. Then I went back to AWB but still had a problem with the lights on the mega tree still blown out, at least initially when they come on and the camera adjusts to the light coming from the tree. I shot those at dawn to avoid the cars. I also have the challenge of the light from a street light across the street encroaching on the yard.

The only setting that I've settled on is manual focus with a tripod. On another thread the suggestion was to use the sports mode and dialing back the exposure a step or two. Haven't tried that yet.

I did contact Canon Tech Support for guidance and they said that because of all the variables that might be experienced in a shoot, they couldn't make any recommendations, but instead told me to do research on the web and at the library. I'm hoping someone at PC will have a magic bullet, and I will continue experimenting. However the Christmas lights display season is almost over for us. Only two more nights. Got to shoot quickly, or continue on a non-public mode.

If you run across any settings, please let everyone know.

The program I use with my Canon HV20 is HDVSplit. http://strony.aster.pl/paviko/

Basically pull the video off the camcorder using the firewire cable and you have .mts files. Once there any Vegas or newer Premiere should deal with the files.

The reason I went to HDVSplit is the 24p mode on the camera requires some work to get it out of the 60i wrapper. Also Premiere liked to drop frames and Adobe finally released a patch for Premiere about 6 months ago, but I haven't changed my workflow.

IF you have any frames dropping on import try HDVSplit

The program I use with my Canon HV20 is HDVSplit. http://strony.aster.pl/paviko/

Basically pull the video off the camcorder using the firewire cable and you have .mts files. Once there any Vegas or newer Premiere should deal with the files.

The reason I went to HDVSplit is the 24p mode on the camera requires some work to get it out of the 60i wrapper. Also Premiere liked to drop frames and Adobe finally released a patch for Premiere about 6 months ago, but I haven't changed my workflow.

IF you have any frames dropping on import try HDVSplit

Just an FYI, Vegas 9 pulls the HDV from the Canon HD recorders very well. It nicely breaks the capture up into multiple frame sets where it finds natural breaks in the recording. I've been extremely pleased with it.

I have found ONE program that works. Look at http://mtsconverter.us/.

Both links take you to the same place - ultimately - to the AVS4You website to download the AVS Video Converter program. This link (strony.aster.pl/paviko/) sends you to download ffdshow which brings you to AVS4You.

I did not want to pay for it until I tried it out. After playing around with it, it seems that I can only convert MTS files (from the Canon HF-100) to MPG, WMV, or MOV. I cannot convert to AVI at all. When I convert it to MPG/WMV, it plays in Media Player fine. When I convert it to MOV, it plays in Quicktime, but the video is very jerky. When I try to convert it to AVI, the audio is heard in Media player, but no video. Is this what you have found also?

$60 to register the AVS Video Converter program so I want to be sure...

Edited by B_Regal78

I did not want to pay for it until I tried it out. After playing around with it, it seems that I can only convert MTS files (from the Canon HF-100) to MPG, WMV, or MOV. I cannot convert to AVI at all. When I convert it to MPG/WMV, it plays in Media Player fine. When I convert it to MOV, it plays in Quicktime, but the video is very jerky. When I try to convert it to AVI, the audio is heard in Media player, but no video. Is this what you have found also?

I used AVS to convert to AVI amd I am very happy with the results.

Go to http://www.videolan.org, download VLC media player 0.9.8a and see if it plays the AVI files. WMP is not exactly a good program for videos and does not have many of the proper codec files needed.

Send me your email address and I will send you an .exe file that may help you decide.