Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Chris in Ct

How do you people in the snowbelt cope?

We have had a very mild winter so far this year. I'm not complaining at all.

We have had a good number days in the 50's and 60's ... so I can't complain at all.

December has more snow than January, which is odd but ok with me.

I recall just before Christmas, my daughter was complaining because she wanted MORE snow ... because it didn't seem like Christmas without it (to her). Of course she's not old enough to realize that a white christmas in Colorado (front range) isn't a sure thing at all.

More snow yesterday and today. We have had snow on the ground since before Christmas. I got the big stuff down but all the lights on the house will have to wait till????????

This picture was taken today of my 32" tall candy canes. We've had snow on the ground since Christmas.

I'm glad I didn't use those lights on the roof that had to be returned. I would not have been able to remove them by the return deadline. Thank goodness that the snow on the roof didn't stick till after Christmas and didn't cover my LEDs up there.

We are on the verge of setting a record for most snow fall during the month of January- 28 inches for the month here in Cleveland.

Steve

post-8142-12957111154_thumb.jpg

Someone mentioned Great Lakes snow and we get quite a bit here on Lake Michigan. This winter it started snowing before Christmas and we've had almost 45 inches so far, with more on the way. My display is still out there, buried under all the snow. So dealing with it means getting it up in time for Christmas and then trying to get it down again. Because I use primarily blow molds, deep snow makes it really tiring when taking down the display.

I think mine will stay up until we get some kind of a thaw..its 10 degrees here right now, but once it gets into the lower 40s, like in Minnesota, people will be breaking out the flip flops and t's.

Technical mistake........we had 27 inches on the ground. Snow fall for the month was at 40 inches. 2 inches short of the record of 42" for the month of January here in the Cleveland area.

This picture was taken today of my 32" tall candy canes. We've had snow on the ground since Christmas.

I'm glad I didn't use those lights on the roof that had to be returned. I would not have been able to remove them by the return deadline. Thank goodness that the snow on the roof didn't stick till after Christmas and didn't cover my LEDs up there.

We are on the verge of setting a record for most snow fall during the month of January- 28 inches for the month here in Cleveland.

Steve

The St Paul Pioneer Press has been measuring Winters based on their pain index for quite a few years. This year, so far, has been very mild. They take a number of factors into account, because Winter has many complex variables.

http://www.twincities.com/ci_11651768?nclick_check=1

The worst Winter that I have experienced was about 15-16 years ago. I remember a January in which the temperatures hovered around -30F for about 2 weeks after we had experienced snow and a slight warming. The result of this phenomen was we were riding on the interstate on ice for 2 weeks. It was too cold for the salt to melt the ice on the roadway. It was slow going on washboard roads.