Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
bcwhitehead

Snow & Ice

Just curious how are the rest of the Portland area displays holding up with the ice. I had to leave mine off tonight due to the ice plus there is so much snow on the roof you can't see the lights.

I've been running mine for the last couple of nights and I have some ground lights and roof lights that are buried but you can still see a faint glow from them. I'm more worried about when it starts to melt. I will have to assess the situation then to see if I put them on or not. This amount of snow give me a whole different appreciation to the people that get this or more each year. I don't think I could handle this much snow everyday for a couple of months.

I agree, I couldn't handle this every winter. I probably leaving mine off for the next couple of nights as well. I am supposed to leave tomorrow for Calif to visit my parents that just might not happen now. All the strings on the mega tree are completely covered in ice kinda worried that the added weight might dropped the the tree.

All my lights are indoors, so my lights are just fine. :D

*ducks behind the sofa*

I'm with you on the sentiment of not wanting to put up with this for several months every year. I really don't want to have to own two sets of tires. I'm thinking California sounds nice right about now, but don't kill me for saying that, I'm an Oregon native. ;)

Edited by putergirl

I have been running full show, however, today (Christmas Eve) I have a feeling I'm going to have to power things up slowly to avoid things going "POP". Everything under 16" is buried. The ground spots looked cool under the snow/ice layer. My mini trees are now only about 1 foot tall. A few strings of blue minis went dark so I hope to get some troubleshooting time. A lot of people (friends, co-workers ec) did not get out to see my display, so I'm leaving it up at least until Jan 3.

-Darin

Our show has been running very well, despite being obscured by snow. I have a track of C7s on the lower roof that got dimmer and dimmer as the week progressed, and with the meltdodwn starting yesterday, I pulled some of the snow and ice off to re-expose them to the world. They also look brighter with the snow-reflector (especially the one I whacked with the broom).

Unfortunately there's not much viewer traffic with our street in this condition, but it keeps on showing off well, maybe just to the neighbors, but we park out there and watch it once in a while...

On with the show!!

{Vent ON}

I just had a county snow plow drive by and destroy a good portion my perimeter fence lights. I guess I'm no longer a fan of the snow. Since I live in a county road, the snow plow goes by at about 30 mph ejecting heavy slush ice and snow into those delicate strings of minis. I wondered why I had so many dark strings and broken bulbs yesterday; well, now I know.

With such a low turnout due to weather and now this, I think I'm ready for the season to be over.

{Vent OFF}

-darin

Sorry to hear about the snowplow damage...that's too bad. I've actually been complaining here in Hillsboro because I haven't even SEEN a snowplow since the big snowstorm nearly a week ago. The animated animals took a hit with the 14" of snow piled up on them...a few motors died, but other than that things came through fine. I actually really enjoyed having all the snow since we never get it around here in December.

Darin,

Sorry to hear about the snow plow. I also agree I don't like the snow either, especially the ice. I gonna extend the display out through next weekend. I didn't have to much damage. I have lost two strobes due to the fact that the ice broke the fishing line and they sat on the bottom of the mega tree and collected water since they were pointing up.

Darin,

Sorry to hear about your lights. I hope you don't get too down on it. Your display looked great, I've got the video to prove it. :D I had some net lights that didn't make it from the snow and also found that someone took one of my candy canes. I know it can be discouraging sometimes but just look at the joy your lights brought (especially your friend that stopped by the night I was out there). Heck, if it were easy everyone would be doing it.

Darin,

Sorry to hear about your lights. I hope you don't get too down on it. Your display looked great, I've got the video to prove it. :D I had some net lights that didn't make it from the snow and also found that someone took one of my candy canes. I know it can be discouraging sometimes but just look at the joy your lights brought (especially your friend that stopped by the night I was out there). Heck, if it were easy everyone would be doing it.

Paul,

Thanks for the encouragement. It's enough that the weather damages our equipment, but when you get people stealing candy canes; that sucks. It's not like they're going to sell it for meth money.

After checking out my display, I found that only 5 strings were damaged and the rest had actually come unplugged from the snow/ice being thrown against everything like a Tsunami. I threw a few spares on top of the dead ones, plugged everything back in, and I'm back in business. Here's my video of that song we're not supposed to sequence

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlBeTEGyXDM

I'm actually expecting quite a bit of traffic this week because everybody is more mobile. I had about 5 visitors tonight which is a lot for my neck of the woods on a Sunday night.

-Darin

Darin,

Video looks good. If you want more candy canes I have a bunch that I don't need if you would like them. Here is pic of the house. Pictures isn't the greatest. Happy New Years all.

post-7450-129571102879_thumb.jpg

post-7450-129571102889_thumb.jpg

post-7450-129571102897_thumb.jpg

Darin,

Video looks good. If you want more candy canes I have a bunch that I don't need if you would like them. Here is pic of the house. Pictures isn't the greatest. Happy New Years all.

Brandon,

How tall is that Mega Tree? I like the various color themes of your display. How many more nights are you going to run it? I'm going to the at least Jan 3 (Saturday night), but may go longer because our Washington friends are keeping theirs going until the 9th for snow day makeup. Unless the weather is good on Sunday, I probably won't start the teardown until the following weekend.

Happy New Year back at ya.

-Darin

Brandon,

How tall is that Mega Tree? I like the various color themes of your display. How many more nights are you going to run it? I'm going to the at least Jan 3 (Saturday night), but may go longer because our Washington friends are keeping theirs going until the 9th for snow day makeup. Unless the weather is good on Sunday, I probably won't start the teardown until the following weekend.

Happy New Year back at ya.

-Darin

Darin, the tree is 20ft I gonna cut a foot off for next year. I had trouble getting some of the plugs to the center where all the extension cords were. The last night of the display is gonna be on Sunday. Then tear down and fixing began.

Brandon

Guest Lightzilla

Do you not agree that snow adds a little more beauty to the display?

Anyhow it kinda funny how viewers in your neck of the woods drops back a bit when the snow came, while in my neck of the woods I had an increase of viewers when the snow came.

Thank God you live there and not here as winter runs from October 31st right up to mid May. Then these past two years have been cold (global warming my foot) more like global cooling....this past December was 1 of the coldest December we had in 10 years. The lows were in the -28F range or -34C and the highs around -8F....but we had a bit of a break with temps near 3F.

Thats a good temperature....

My display ran good up to about December 21 then had a few set backs but I managed to run a show for Christmas eve and day.

It not that I don't like the snow it fine but when ever we get more then a few we also get 1/4 to 1/2 of ice on top of it. That what sucks about it. I can the snow with no problem when the ice comes then I start hating it.

Late to chime in here but I agree, the snow gives the lights a boost of beauty. However, we have a metal roof here in Canby and the ice and snow slid off all at once and disassembled my gutters and about 1/4 of the lights - bummer.

Darin, the tree is 20ft I gonna cut a foot off for next year. I had trouble getting some of the plugs to the center where all the extension cords were. The last night of the display is gonna be on Sunday. Then tear down and fixing began.

Brandon

Brandon,

Instead of making the tree shorter, you might want to consider just raising the trunk. That will help to illiminate short strand issue.

This year I actually did something a little different then I've seen and actually had my outer ring of the trunk higher then the inner ring. So this made the strands slope down and into the center. I did this just on a wim only because I went from a 25' tree to a 42' tree and had to remake my rings. But rather then remaking the center ring I just slightly modified the outer ring of the old tree to use as the inner ring of the new tree, then just made a new outer ring. With it being sloped, it actully looks alot more like a real tree and I got lots of comments from people saying they liked how it sloped in.