I have took very fast to Logan method of folding christmas lights. He calls it "The Ball of Christmas Lights" Very similair to how a ball of yarn is rolled. I have been using it all of this year and plan on using it this year for storage. Maybe some others can chime in on their method or if they tried logans method.

You can find the VIDEO at www.christmasdisplays.net

Scott Colson wrote:

I have took very fast to Logan method of folding christmas lights. He calls it "The Ball of Christmas Lights" Very similair to how a ball of yarn is rolled. I have been using it all of this year and plan on using it this year for storage. Maybe some others can chime in on their method or if they tried logans method.

You can find the VIDEO at http://www.christmasdisplays.net

Logan's method ROCKS! Haven't had the opportuntity to use it for storage yet, but I actually re-rolled mine like Logan's before deploying them this year. They just won't tangle with his way! So simple I can't belive I haven't been doing it for years.

-Tim

I roll mine up on paper towel rolls put a slit in each in to start and when I finish the plug goes in the other slit. They hold real well - I've been doing this for severalyears and it really works for stringing the next year. I have really found that the time and organization youuse taking down down everything after Christmas makes it a whole easier for the next year!

Glenn:)

Ok, ok, ok, how did the ball of lights that I have been using since Logan was in elementary school become Logan's idea? :P I have been peddling that method since I came on PC. To top it off, after the ball of lights is made, I stick it in one of those cheap plastic grocery bags which keeps the loose end from getting tangled up in other balls.

The balls of lights are the easiest method I have found to wrap trees, columns etc.

Jeff_Womack wrote:

Ok, ok, ok, how did the ball of lights that I have been using since Logan was in elementary school become Logan's idea? :P I have been peddling that method since I came on PC. To top it off, after the ball of lights is made, I stick it in one of those cheap plastic grocery bags which keeps the loose end from getting tangled up in other balls.

The balls of lights are the easiest method I have found to wrap trees, columns etc.

Jeff, clearly you need a video to achieve the fame and notoriety :-)

Haha,

Jeff I never tried to take ideas credit for anything, you know that. I am simply trying to provide some good video content on how to do things to help people. Jeff to keep the ends from getting tangled, Im sure you already know this you old hag. Just either slide the loose end under one of the other wires, or pull out the female end from the middle and plug the ends together. I just throw mine into a tub, and they never get tangled or stuck together.

I go to Lowes and Home depot....look through their bulk wire storage racks fopr empty spools.

If I find one empty i ask for it...Have always received it no problems. Various sizes available and free for the asking.....

Made a rack in the garage out of PVC for storage/ Keeps tehm tangel free.

Doug

I roll my icicle lights onto a tube reel, about 8" core diameter, and plug them end to end as I am rolling them on. The reel is about 30" in diameter, so I can fit all of my icicle lights onto one roll. As I unroll them, I unplug, and test each section before staging them.

I stole Marty Slack's idea for icicle light storage -- basically a PVC central core with a cap on top where you screw in a hook for hanging, and some rebar (I actually used threaded rod and nuts to secure it) forming a cross on the top. We have about 300' of icicle lights that I store on 2 of these with room to spare.

Both Marty & I posted pics in the old forum, so hopefully when the archive comes back they will return.

-Tim

I use the figure eight method in those 56qt. Tupperware storage containers. I place a peice of cardboard between each layer and put the same color strands ineach container. Then I use masking tape and label the container so I know how many of each color I have in each. Works great espically if you use a lot of solid color strands. Never had a tangled mess, and I think it makes the lights last longer since they say the hardest thing on wires is bending them. And if you drop the tote you probrally wont bust anything cause its protected. There pretty cheap too espically at Wal-Mart where I get them for 3.97 each, better than 1.99 per roll for the spindles, amd you can get several thousand per tote. Pretty cheap to me.