Walmart LED quality??

Chris in Ct

The Walmart near me has a lot of LED's on the shelves as of yesterday.

I was told they will be 50% off the day after Christmas.

How is the quality of their LED's? Any issues?

I want to buy a very large quanity of LED's once the markdowns happen, but do not want to buy poor quality.

They have several cases of the multi color LED icicles which I haven't seen anywheres else.

Anyone using those this year? How are they.

Sears has quite a bit of LED's left, I have had good luck with the ones I bought from them last year,but if I go with Walmart brand I can purchase twice as much for the same amount of money.

Any replies greatly appreciated.

Well....I bought some to fill in some holes I had....they were the only LED's I could find locally....in the color I needed at the time.... First box I opened.....half the string wouldn't light....the other 4 strings worked fine....

They are replaceable LEDs...at least on the strings I bought.....didn't care for that much....too much chance to introduce water and hence bad connections....after a couple of years....

I like the 60ct wide angle LEDs from walmart I bought this year. Not one failure ... and very bright blue and super with LOR ... even more dimmable than the regular minis.

I don't think the rust and corrosion is a big issue here in Colorado. All the LED strands I've bought in the last 3-4 years ... all of them are still working and that includes a lot of cheapo walgreens lights.

If I could get some of those wide angle LEDs here for 50% off ... I'd buy a LOT of boxes, probably 30 red, 30 green and 30 blue. I don't recall seeing other colors here, but maybe they also had white??

the C7 multis at the local walmart here are the 2007 style of everstar/forever bright. they seem to be really good lights. 2nd year on mine and they are doing good.. at 1/2 off they will only be 3 something a string. ill get all i can. GREAT space filler!!

the strings i got from sears and kmart (both the same) all rusted in just a number of weeks last year! i wouldnt get those!! unless they made a huge change but they look the same as last years lights to me !!

Much of what I have added to my display this year was done with Wall Mart LEDs. OVerall I have been very happy with them and the price is hard to beat. The 60 bulb strands can also be cut in the middle just like a regular incandescent string, to make two shorter 30 bulb strands wich has come in handy on some of my home made decorations.

http://forums.planetchristmas.com/showthread.php?t=28557

In my static displays like the north pole I coated everything with laquer to seal them up, I don't feel like replacing those string any time soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Be sure to scan or xerox the receipts, as they are thermal paper and fades very quickly.

The WalMart here in Hilo, Hawaii, only had the 60 ct wide-angle LEDs in red. I wish they had it in other colors.

For those of you who bought a whole bunch, you can test one single strand out in the rain over a month period to see if rusting is a problem. Instead of waiting for Christmas and finding out the hard way. At least you could prepare the set for the rain if need be.

Stan

Be sure to scan or xerox the receipts, as they are thermal paper and fades very quickly.

The WalMart here in Hilo, Hawaii, only had the 60 ct wide-angle LEDs in red. I wish they had it in other colors.

For those of you who bought a whole bunch, you can test one single strand out in the rain over a month period to see if rusting is a problem. Instead of waiting for Christmas and finding out the hard way. At least you could prepare the set for the rain if need be.

Stan

Actually I can answer this since my mini trees were the Everstars from Big Lots.. We had quite bit of rain this season. So while I was tearing down the display I pulled a few random Bulbs from them just to see.... All I found was just a wee bit of moisture residue. which wiped right off... But no rusting or corrosion.. :) The legs of the led were still nice and shiny. But I do live in a pretty much dry area, so your results may vary..

The only issue I had was with 2 strings I guess I pulled a bit hard on wires and pulled the connection loose, just enough that it lost contact with the LED... Took me a few minutes to fix and had no other problems... I'll take pictures of the bulbs later..

Much of what I have added to my display this year was done with Wall Mart LEDs. OVerall I have been very happy with them and the price is hard to beat. The 60 bulb strands can also be cut in the middle just like a regular incandescent string, to make two shorter 30 bulb strands wich has come in handy on some of my home made decorations..

Could that also be said about adding lengths to 60ct in 30 bulb increments to make 90ct