Cdi pre order sale '09

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:P ha ha MM, I think Terry got you on that one.. :D Though you would think that would be a requirement for a true complete review.

Max

Ahhhh it's all good...

I was just eager to post what I did this evening while it was fresh, since I was fairly impressed.

Review Part 2 coming soon: "Finish what ya started" :P

The sample of one of the LED strobes from Paul arrived today *courtesy of Zman* (Thank you Sir!) ;)

My unsolicited, unbiased review:

The unit tested was one of the "white" strobes with clear lens.

If you have been interested at all and visited Paul's website than you have seen the basic appearance of the unit.

The unit appears very sturdy and well constructed, the lens is not removable and it appears to be quite water resistant. One of the first things that impressed me was that the white plastic base is tapered and seems to be at about the same angle as a C9 bulb, meaning it screwed right into a socket on a cheap light strand and made contact with no problem. No belt sanding of your light sockets, or cranking down hard to make contact needed!

Peeking inside you can make out the 10 LEDs (I thought I counted 11, but it was an illusion) and they are mounted flat in the base, aimed at the end of the lens.

Powering the unit up first time, there was a slight delay initially, but not much. Subsequent "power ups" showed no delay. The flash rate appeared to be about 2 per second (using the unscientific "one-one thousand" count method) :P

Now for the thing everyone is wondering... the Brightness:

Due to the arrangement and nature of the LEDs themselves, if you view the unit from the side straight on (like if the unit was hanging down and you were at eye level with it) the strobe seems less intense than a xenon unit (since the bulb in these hang down into the lens). HOWEVER...

If you view it from any other angle it really does pop with brightness since you will catch a glimpse of either the bulb array or the end of the lens which is a fresnel and refracts the intense beam being put out by the LEDs when they pulse.

It is bright enough to cause "spots" or persistence of vision in a dimly lit room with no problem. I determined that by noticing that the LEDs almost seemed to "fade" off, when in fact they are turning off quickly it is just your retina coming back from being pounded. I had be behind the base looking at the socket to eliminate the effect enough to catch the true speed of the turn off.

If you look at the end of the lens, HOLY COW! :eek:

If you managed to aim the end of the lens at your viewers you are definitely gonna knock their socks off. (they may not see the next part of your show for a few seconds... :D)

I ran the unit for about 10 minutes and didn't notice any big change in speed or light output, and the base got just noticeably warm (probably the driver transistor).

I have not cycled the unit on and off with LOR yet, (and if someone else has already done this, please let me know!) but I would say overall at this point, I gotta give it a big thumbs up. :)

Terry :cool:

Terry:

Can you video the strobe for the group?

Shot a quick video this evening of the white LED strobe.

Indoors in full normal living room light.

To answer Chuck's earlier inquiry...

I hung the strobe off one of the hooks around my garage door and ran to the store so I could get a view on the way back to the house... no problem seeing it! ;) (even with 60 watt halogens in the coach lights on)

To answer Chuck's earlier inquiry...

I hung the strobe off one of the hooks around my garage door and ran to the store so I could get a view on the way back to the house... no problem seeing it! ;) (even with 60 watt halogens in the coach lights on)

Wow! That's a lot brighter than I thought it would be! Thanks Terry!!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!! My retinas!!! ;)

Thanks for video, Terry. Now, could you post some video of "regular" strobes next to the LED strobes? And then get some video of the LED strobes from a very long way away. And then...

:P

And HOW many green LEDs do YOU have? :P

The sample of one of the LED strobes from Paul arrived today *courtesy of Zman* (Thank you Sir!) ;)

Now for the thing everyone is wondering... the Brightness:

Due to the arrangement and nature of the LEDs themselves, if you view the unit from the side straight on (like if the unit was hanging down and you were at eye level with it) the strobe seems less intense than a xenon unit (since the bulb in these hang down into the lens). HOWEVER...

If you view it from any other angle it really does pop with brightness since you will catch a glimpse of either the bulb array or the end of the lens which is a fresnel and refracts the intense beam being put out by the LEDs when they pulse.

It is bright enough to cause "spots" or persistence of vision in a dimly lit room with no problem. I determined that by noticing that the LEDs almost seemed to "fade" off, when in fact they are turning off quickly it is just your retina coming back from being pounded. I had be behind the base looking at the socket to eliminate the effect enough to catch the true speed of the turn off.

Terry :cool:

Got any pics or video? That's the one thing we rarely seem to see...thanks! It still surprises me that there are very few pics of any of the samples...I did see a video of the lights fading which was cool...

Edit: guess I missed the previous page of posts... you already did the video.. I'm an ID10T

Edited by gholt
ID10T

Sure has a slow flash rate. It would interesting to see the LED strobe and Darryl's strobe at the same time. Didn't someone suggest that?:rolleyes:

Sure has a slow flash rate. It would interesting to see the LED strobe and Darryl's strobe at the same time. Didn't someone suggest that?:rolleyes:

I'll tell you what would be interesting...

About 20-25 of each of the colors of these, going off one color at a time! ;)

I have had Darryl's and they ARE awesome...

I will be trying these next year.

I think I also forgot to mention... these are totally silent!

(if you have had xenon strobes, you know what I am talking about) ;)

I'll tell you what would be interesting...

About 20-25 of each of the colors of these, going off one color at a time! ;)

I have had Darryl's and they ARE awesome...

I will be trying these next year.

I think I also forgot to mention... these are totally silent!

(if you have had xenon strobes, you know what I am talking about) ;)

The one question i have is, if you have say 15-20 of these on one strand when you give the strand power, do they all flash together, or does it look completly ramndom, like the old strobes.

-Will

Wow! I'm typing this by faith that I'm hitting the right keys. That is bright.

That is a little slower than Darryl's, but I don't think it would be an issue when you got a bunch of them flashing together. I would like to see more of them together to see the randomness of the flash. But that looks (or should I say looked) great!

Thanks for the suggestion on the clearance C-7 or C-9's. I didn't realize those incandescent strings could be used for the LED's. I thought the retro-fit bulbs were for older LED strings with the rectifiers built into them. THANKS, I might just go back to Wally-World and see what they've got left in stock.

Yea, I thought about getting the green wire c-7 and c-9's and painting them, I was just waiting for the test results from someone in another thread that painted some net lights. I just don't want the spray paint to flake off during the season, or have to re-paint the strings each season.

You are welcome. I thought maybe you had missed that point. :)

I can certainly understand that painting them is not the ideal solution. It might flake off as you suspect. I am still seeing a bunch of the C-cicle sets on clearance at walmart stores. The C-cicle strings are white. I guess that may not work for you if you are planning to use the LED icicles. I'm not sure but you might be able to split the white C7 part from the icicle part. I'll try to have a look at a set the next time I'm in a walmart.

TED

Please lets not start with the "no whining" crap.....that is all we heard in the post from the 08 pre buy and look what we ended up with.:D:P

There's an old saying, "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth." That is the point I was trying to make.

TED