Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Brian Anderson

CDI Fix or return

I have been reading the form with much interest. I, like a lot of people, need to make a decision on what to do with my 2008 pre-sale CDI lights. Given where the replacement lights are coming from do I really want to spend the shipping and then have to make to modification anyway?

I have 96 strings of 100 count m5's. Over 1/2 of the green don't work. The other colors I have I have lost about 25%. Is it better to fix these lights or to send them back? Are there step by step instructions on how to fix these lights? My Orange lights are VERY dim. Is there a way to brighting them. I am not knowledgeable in electrical matters. I can do as instructed but that's it.

I guess I wonder too if I should send back only part? Like the greens.

Please let me know your thoughts. I did not post this to slam Paul. If this becomes another rant thread then I will ask Chuck to remove it. I am just hoping to have a practical discussion about how to handle the problem.

Here's my thoughts as an outsider (I didn't buy CDI lights in 2008, although I did in 2007 and very likely will in 2009):

1) If I had a large number of strings that I did the full "bridge rectifier" mod to, and they're now working fine, I'd probably just keep them. If it were just a few strings I'd probably remove my mods and send them back.

2) If I did a cheap mod (add a resistor), or no mod at all, I'd definitely send them back. Just because they're from the same factory, doesn't mean they will melt down. Paul has said, and testing seems to confirm, that they don't self-destruct, and dim much better than the 2008 lights. If nothing else, put them up for sale on eBay and buy the 2009 stock.

-Tim

Edited by tfischer
fix stupid spelling error

I have been reading the form with much interest. I, like a lot of people, need to make a decision on what to do with my 2008 pre-sale CDI lights. Given where the replacement lights are coming from do I really want to spend the shipping and then have to make to modification anyway?

I have 96 strings of 100 count m5's. Over 1/2 of the green don't work. The other colors I have I have lost about 25%. Is it better to fix these lights or to send them back? Are there step by step instructions on how to fix these lights? My Orange lights are VERY dim. Is there a way to brighting them. I am not knowledgeable in electrical matters. I can do as instructed but that's it.

I guess I wonder too if I should send back only part? Like the greens.

Please let me know your thoughts. I did not post this to slam Paul. If this becomes another rant thread then I will ask Chuck to remove it. I am just hoping to have a practical discussion about how to handle the problem.

The replacements will work without modifications. My recomendation would be to send them all back, let me get you a better product.

The replacements will work without modifications. My recomendation would be to send them all back, let me get you a better product.

Mine will be on there way back right after Christmas.

Daryl B.

Even after doing the simple fix on all, and then having to do the full fix on 85% of them...I'm sending mine back for sure. Here's my reasons: #1 the lengths are all goobered up at each end, so when I'm alternating colors on different strings, it's hard to get them evenly spaced now. #2, my heatshrinking wasn't the greateset on some, and others it is...inconsistent. #3, some of my strings seem a little more dim than others (only 2 or 3) and #4, I know Paul will want to give me a quality product for next year.

I haven't bought anything from CDI/ Paul, but because of everything I am reading with the problems everyone has had with the 2008 products and the support/ replacement he is offering I will definitely be looking to buy from him next year. I'm pleased to see someone stand behind their product even when people are having some issues.

I am confused. Are the replacements from the 2007 factory? Or the 2008 factory? I only ask this because the last I heard on the test strings is a noise problem that when you fade some strings it causes other strings that are off to flicker. I know they solved the dead string issue and I think only 1 color is fading slightly slower than the rest as long as you don't mix 100ct with 50ct.

The replacements are coming from the 08 factory.

I think most of us are/were having trouble with the decision to keep them or send the back for exchange is because some are going to have to pay a considerable amount of money in shipping.

It is a hard pill to swallow when we all paid for "quality" LEDs and the shipping to get them too us. Then we found out that we did not get the quality we were expecting. Now if we want "better quality?", then we are going to have to fork out more cash to get it. This makes the decision more difficult than it should be.

I understand some say the testing of the 09 strings are going great, and some have been fading, shimmering, and blinking for weeks inside. Others have reported not so favorable results.

The fact that the financial benefit of buying in the prebuy is gone by having to spend even more money trying to get the quality we were expecting, and not for sure what kind of quality we are actually going to get makes the exchange decision difficult.

Also if the exchange lights were coming from the 07 factory the decision would be easier.

This could be way worse. Paul could have just said "sorry for your trouble" and left it at that. He is doing something that in this day and time most people would not.

I will be taking advantage of the exchange offer. I am not convinced that the 09 exchange LEDs will be as good as the 07 LEDs we all heard so many good things about. I am convinced that Paul will do what he can to make things better.

I'm sending my '08 strings back for replacement.

I'm also ordering at least 144 more strings from the Holiday Creation's factory in the Jan prebuy. I already had 252 strings from the 2006 / 2007 orders, and with the repalcements will have over 600 CDI LED strings.

I belive in Paul, and everytime I ordered a few fill in strings from other vendors, I have always felt like I was overcharged and received lousy service.

CDI only LED products for me.

I'm sending my '08 strings back for replacement.

I'm also ordering at least 144 more strings from the Holiday Creation's factory in the Jan prebuy. I already had 252 strings from the 2006 / 2007 orders, and with the repalcements will have over 600 CDI LED strings.

I belive in Paul, and everytime I ordered a few fill in strings from other vendors, I have always felt like I was overcharged and received lousy service.

CDI only LED products for me.

So the former factory was the same one that made Holiday Creations strings? If so I won't send mine back because even though the c6's looked the same with both brands, the 2008 CDI c7's looked brighter from a wider viewing angle than the Holiday Creations strings I tried. I replaced all my rectifiers and they are working flawlessly but I worry they may not last many seasons as they are not sealed as well from the elements using duct and electrical tape as well as the entirely sealed rectifier bumps new strings come with.

So the former factory was the same one that made Holiday Creations strings? If so I won't send mine back because even though the c6's looked the same with both brands, the 2008 CDI c7's looked brighter from a wider viewing angle than the Holiday Creations strings I tried. I replaced all my rectifiers and they are working flawlessly but I worry they may not last many seasons as they are not sealed as well from the elements using duct and electrical tape as well as the entirely sealed rectifier bumps new strings come with.

I think I am right on the factory name (been known to be wrong before though) anyway it's the factory that made the 2005 - 2007 strings that I love.

Interesting comment on the viewing angle. (little confused since you mentioned or seem to be comparing C6 to C7. I only use the C6, and thought the 08's were not as good as viewing angle as the 2006-07 C6 's in my opinion.

The 08 LED pre-buy strings can be exachanged for 09 LEDs that will come from the same factory

The 09 pre-buy will come from the "former factory" (same factory as 07)

CDI will be receiving LEDs from 2 seperate factories in 09.

I am sending mine back, but buying even more lights from Paul next year. It shows a lot that he is honoring the exchange.

I think I am right on the factory name (been known to be wrong before though) anyway it's the factory that made the 2005 - 2007 strings that I love.

Interesting comment on the viewing angle. (little confused since you mentioned or seem to be comparing C6 to C7. I only use the C6, and thought the 08's were not as good as viewing angle as the 2006-07 C6 's in my opinion.

I am using c6's in my yard and c7's on my house. When the problem was discovered I sent back my c6's because the viewing angle on the c6's looked the same as the other brand so I bought the other brand. However on the c7's the viewing angle on the CDI's was much better than the other brand. On the other brand unless you were looking at a certain angle the light would look very dim. With the CDI it will stay bright from almost any angle.

I am tempted by the offer but am worried about reports of electrical noise causing flickering in strings that are supposed to be off and 1 color that I use turning off slower that the others. But then again I had a string not lighting up last night that has worked since Thanksgiving and I have power at the female end so my rectifier replacements are still working. So I either have a led go bad somewhere or socket connection or wire break. These are really hard to find. The c7 leds are way more difficult than the c6 bulb replacement. After removing the diffuser, you have to work with the led which is the size of a match head with 2 flimsy wires. It fits so tightly into the hole you are almost guaranteed to bend the wires trying to force it into the hole. It takes me about 30 minutes a bulb. I wish it was nice and simple like my cheap icycle leds that have a socket you insert the led into and just slide the socket into the string.

I'm returning all of mine. I have no other choice but to recover as much of my losses as possible. I will never recover the labor this has cost me and more so now because I have to unassemble everything, pack it, and pay to ship it back. Then I get to build it again for next year. This years display was an embarrassment, a disaster and more work than it should have been and may be more of the same next year. I really don't trust the supplier of these but I'm left with no financially feasable alternative unless CDI were to replace my '08 order using the '07 supplier (which is what I based my purchase on) and have the delivery truck pick up the junk lights up after delivering the better '07 style. But we all know THAT's not going to happen.

Edited by Duke

I'm sending mine all back. Biggest embarasment for me happened on christmas eve when one of the light sets pack blew out in front of ~40 people and had a lot of smoke and a small flame.

Guest Lightzilla

I'm sending mine all back. Biggest embarrassment for me happened on Christmas eve when one of the light sets pack blew out in front of ~40 people and had a lot of smoke and a small flame.

WOW an unexpected special effect. Thank God it wasn't more serious.

I had to cancel my order from CDI do to shipping cost, but picked up some leds from Costco here in Edmonton (full wave) and talk about brightness and quality.

Anyhow Paul seems to be a man of his word, so return them and get them replaced. He gives customer service.

I bought 108 strands (36 each of Wwhite, Red, Blue) of 50ct (17 foot) C6 CDI lights for 2008--they are all on my megatree. I haven't had any of the fading problems and the most I've had to do is deal with about 6 strands that liked to go out. Finding the problem was easy as I just twisted the light clockwise or counterclockwise in the holder and once the string started flickering I knew that was the bulb to pull out and bend the led legs on a bit. Once that was done the string was good and I don't think I ever had the same light give me problems.

So did anyone have any rectifiers blow on their 50ct strings or is it something to do with me using LAN cable to run all 36 channels on my megatree (24 AWG with some wire resistance). Everything I've seen is about the 100ct sets, but I'd like to get a solid grip on if I was just lucky...

I don't know what we spent on shipping but the only variable I don't like is what if the rectifier components change value over the years and slowly destroy themselves? Looks like LOR says the components are not that tight of tolerance. I might of talked myself into returning them. I seriously bought them to last the 5 to 10 years that they should.

Can anyone shed any light on 50ct C6 series and fading/rectifier probs?

I'm taking a guess that you were lucky.

I bought the M5 and C6 strings in '08. I would guess they were probably the same circuit.

When the problems starting being posted about, I decided to not use the C6s, I still had enough from '06 and '07 preorders left that I was able to get by. I modified some of my M5s.

Looking at the prices the other vendors charge per string, in my opinion, even paying the return shipping, I'm still coming out WAY AHEAD by staying with CDI.

Edited by JBullard
spelling

Guest Jeff_Womack

John, did you have issues with 50 counts? From what I have seen, it seems like most of the issues were with the 100 counts?