Anyone make their own sauce

This past summer I started making my own pasta sauce.

I load it with a ton of sauage,ground beef garlic onions and other spices.

I went and bought a sauce pot just for this purpose.

I have made it about five times to date and every time it sticks to the bottom of the pot.

I cook it at low heat about the number 3 setting on the simmer control ,any less and I don't think it will cook.

I tried using extra olive oil in it hoping that would help stop the sticking,but it didn't help.

Any suggestions or is sticking just the nature of the beast.

Do I need to buy $200 sauce pot?

The one I bought was $60 it's an all stainless pot,not super thick,but not thin either.

I like cooking programs,but not a professional cook or chef.

What i have learned to minimize sticking is:

1. Heat the pan up, put your oil in and wait for it to get hot, then add your meat.

2. DO NOT put your pans in the dishwasher, the detergent ruins the surface temper, this makes your food stick. Hand wash them only.

3. Food sticks easy to stainless so you have to watch it and keep stirring occasionally.

This past summer I started making my own pasta sauce.

I load it with a ton of sauage,ground beef garlic onions and other spices.

I went and bought a sauce pot just for this purpose.

I have made it about five times to date and every time it sticks to the bottom of the pot.

I cook it at low heat about the number 3 setting on the simmer control ,any less and I don't think it will cook.

I tried using extra olive oil in it hoping that would help stop the sticking,but it didn't help.

Any suggestions or is sticking just the nature of the beast.

Do I need to buy $200 sauce pot?

The one I bought was $60 it's an all stainless pot,not super thick,but not thin either.

No, you need a $12 Turkey roaster. It's the tomatos that stick. Put all your stuff together, (pre cook all the meat) put it in a Turkey roaster and set the oven for 200 degrees.

Let it cook to the consistancy you want. What I usually do is turn it up to 250 for 10 minutes at the end. When it starts to boil, it's done.

You will NEVER burn tomatos this way and YES it does take a long time.

Chris how often are you stirring it an how long do you cook it for? I have been making my own sauce for like 15 years now. M mom and Granma taught me when I was a kid. You will always have some sticking, I do not think it is avoidable. But you do need to stir it often. I made sauce tonight. I stirred it like every ten minutes or less. Nothing stuck to the bottom. If it cooks to long without being stirred the sauce will burn at the bottom causing it to stick.

You are right nothing like hommade sauce. I miss mom and grandma's, thank goodness mine tasted alsmost as good as theirs. Not quite though.

Chris how often are you stirring it an how long do you cook it for? I have been making my own sauce for like 15 years now. M mom and Granma taught me when I was a kid. You will always have some sticking, I do not think it is avoidable. But you do need to stir it often. I made sauce tonight. I stirred it like every ten minutes or less. Nothing stuck to the bottom. If it cooks to long without being stirred the sauce will burn at the bottom causing it to stick.

You are right nothing like hommade sauce. I miss mom and grandma's, thank goodness mine tasted alsmost as good as theirs. Not quite though.

I stir it often. Like yourself at least once every ten minutes. It came out great,I think my best one yet.

It's worth the extra scrubbing to clean the pot. Besides I learned a trick back when i was a kid when I worked as a dishwasher at a reasturant for one week before I quit.

If the bottom of the pot is really bad put an inch or two of water in it and put it on low heat on the stove for a half hour to soften the stuck on mess.

You're cooking it on too high of a setting. Use 1 or 2, or LOW. Once the sauce starts to boil all you want is a slow simmer to do all the work.

Here's my basic recipe: Can't give out all the recipe, or I'll have to kill you :)

Heat oil in the pot.

Add meat and brown it

Add tomatoes (crushed and paste).

add some water to thin it a bit.

add spices (oregano, basil, salt, pepper, parmesean cheese)

add meat balls if you desire.

bring to boil and then SIMMER (LO or 1-2) for 2-3 hours.

Never burned, in stainless for 45+ years for my mom and 10+ years for me.

there is a metal, almost flat piece that you put between the pot and the burner. I've been cooking for what seems like forever and this is one thing my mom swears on and acutally works well, along with the constant stiring. No idea where she bought the one she gave me.

You're cooking it on too high of a setting. Use 1 or 2, or LOW. Once the sauce starts to boil all you want is a slow simmer to do all the work.

Here's my basic recipe: Can't give out all the recipe, or I'll have to kill you :)

Heat oil in the pot.

Add meat and brown it

Add tomatoes (crushed and paste).

add some water to thin it a bit.

add spices (oregano, basil, salt, pepper, parmesean cheese)

add meat balls if you desire.

bring to boil and then SIMMER (LO or 1-2) for 2-3 hours.

Never burned, in stainless for 45+ years for my mom and 10+ years for me.

I think we have the same recipie except I use both beef & sausage, no parm cheese though,that goes in the lasagna or on the pasta.

The recipie I have called for Fennel seeds, I think it smells & taste nasty,I know they use it in sausage so maybe it's redundant and over powers the sauce so I leave it out.

Our stove is only a few years old. I wish now that we went with gas rather than electric.

I think it cooks a lot better by giving you more control over your temps.

If I put the sauce on 1 or 2 it doesn't do anything except keep it warm, put it on 3 and it's a tad to much. I need a 2 1/2 setting.

Anyone want a brand new big bottle of Fennel seeds missing only a tablespoons worth?

Hmmm, 2 is only warm and 3 is burnt? Weird, especially for a 2-3 year old unit.

Maybe once you get it all mixed, put the pot on a smaller burner on 3, or if you have a larger burner than the pot put it on there on 2. You could also try only putting 1/2 of the pot on the burner and rotate it 1/4th a turn every 15 minutes or so.

Beef and pork are the main meats in ours. Some times we'll add chunks of Italian sausage, or Veal depending on what we're cooking it for. Less chunks for lasagna and pizza, more chunks for different pastas. No fennel in ours.

The meat balls are beef and pork, bread crumbs, parmesean, parsley, egg, and unwashed hands (for flavor).

Pasta sauce------Crock pot!

Chili------Crock pot!

When making tomato based sauces like this I always slow cook in a crock pot.

It won't stick!

Another thing that really helps is time. For all the flavors of the ingredients to meld together you need time. When I make my Chili I cook a big batch then refrigerate or even freeze it and reheat it before eating. The time in the freezer helps the flavor a lot!

Chris, what is your pot made of? I use Calphalon commercial grade pots (yeah, they're very expensive, but mine are 22 years old and were worth every single penny.) They are really heavy and conduct heat completely evenly. If your sauce pot is on the lightweight side, you'll need to use very low heat. I've been making my own sauce forever (at least 30 years) and I don't have a problem with sticking or scorching. You can bring the sauce up to a boil and then use the pan shuffle, have another burner already on and set to its lowest setting and just let it simmer, bubbles should barely break the surface. Once your new pot is seasoned, that will help alot too.

I think your recipe sounds tasty! Do you use Bay leaves or sugar? If you try adding a bay leaf or two and some sugar, you'll get a whole new dimension to your sauce (sugar helps to bring out the sweetness of the tomatoes and cuts down the acidity of the sauce).

Sorry to go on, but I LOVE to cook and pasta sauces are one of my specialties!:)

Carrie,the pan I use is a medium weight stainless steel. I think I have the sticking now under control. I have always used the left side burner which is a little smaller than the right side.

I think being smaller I needed to have the heat a little hotter to make up the difference in size. I made some more sauce the other day on the bigger burner and didn't have any sticking.

I use sugar,hate the smell and taste of bay leaves,really puts me off.

I do want to buy a much bigger pot though.

I have a friend that makes her own sauce and she makes it in huge batches and will recook it sometimes up to three times each time adding different meats.

The last time I had her sauce it had meatballs,sausage, steak, &beef ribs.

She puts raisins in her meatballs. Not bad.

I used to use bay leaf too, and sugar. But it was too hard to get the right amount of sugar to balance the bay leaf and acidity of the tomatoes.... so I stopped using bay leaf and sugar. no more problems with either of them now.

OK, from an Italian boy from new york..

you should have no sticking of the sauce if you stir often.

Heres what I do...

First of all cook all you meat in another pan - Not the sause pan.

In your sause pan, put in some olive oil, chopped garlic, and onion.

sautee a little, you don't want to burn the garlic.

next add a small can of tomato paste, stir in with the garlic and onoin. .

now add a large can of tomato puree and crushed tomatos.

I now take the large empty can of tomatos and fill it with water and add it to the sause.

I now add basil, parcely and oregano, salt and pepper, and mix everything together.

you can add a bay leave if you like.

Add you meat.

set the burner to very low - your just able to see the flame.

cook for about 3 to 4 hours.

STIR often, your gonna love it.

I go a step further, I also make my own tomatos. I'm in the yard every summer and crush tomatos into tomato sause and jar my own.

Hows that for a paison from new york.

Bravo mliquori! I am Italian too....2 generation I might add and that is EXACTLY the way my grandmother and mom taught me! The trick is to let the sauce simmer for a long time....and never put the meat in the sauce until the meat is cooked. I will say though I do add sugar to mine though. How about meatballs mliquori....homemade or store bought?

Fortunately, I'm not an Italian, I'm a Greek (that is meant as a joke), but I make my sauce the same way MikeL does. Learned from my Greek grandmother and a friend that was more like a relative, she was right off the boat from Sicily. I make my own meatballs too, where else would I get them?

Anyone else ever use shortribs as the meat? I have, they really are great. If you use them, trim the fat from the ribs (get as much off as you can). For these you do cook them right in the sauce, over very low heat for 3 or 4 hours. I have a gas cook top so the flame is really low. Once they are done, you'll know it because the meat will have come off the bones. Pull the meat and bones out, shred the meat and put it back in the sauce. I usually serve this sauce over linguini, its fantastic with freshly grated Romano. The meat is as tender as a baby's butt and this sauce is really rich. When I make it, you never hear a word around the table, people are too busy stuffing their faces!

I think the idea is to get the meat cooked independently first and then add it to the oil/garlic/onion.

Personally, I cook the meat(s)* first and then add the garlic/onion to the meat. Once that gets sauteed, it's just as Mike said. (Of course, Mike collects Blowmolds so you have to take THAT into consideration.) :P

*Don't forget to use SPICY Italian sausage!

Edit: WTF is the matter with you people? Does nobody add mushrooms? (Fresh, of course. That stuff in jars is horrid.)

Edited by ChuckHutchings

I love mushrooms,but can't stand them in sauce. It's texture thing.

They give me the hebbie geebies.

You're not cooking them right. When done correctly you don't even know they're there except for the yummy flavor.

Perhaps I'll share my chili recipe with you some day. (No mushrooms in that.)

meatballs must be home made.. I've even made home made sausage a few times.

If you cook the meat in the sauce ( some people cook their meatballs in the sauce, I have also at times, but I like them better fried first. )

You will get all that extra oil and fat in you sauce. It will become very greasy.

Edited by mliquori