Anyone make their own sauce

Chuck...it is nice to see you on the boards! The reason I don't put the meat in first is because of the whole grease factor and then I want to make sure that the meat is cooked all the way....now in saying all that I do however put my meatballs into the sauce to cook. But they cook for hours and then I skim the grease off the top of the sauce.

Mike I make my sauce almost exactly the same way as you. But I use garlic powder rather than chop up my own. The family prefers it htat way. My wife is not Italian, she doesn't know any better. That is the way my mom taught me, and her mom, and her mom, etc, etc.

I do not use my own tomatoes though. No time to can. But when my grandma was still alive I would get hers. That makes the sauce so much better than using crushed. I do not fry my meatballs. I bake them in the oven instead then add them to the sauce. We also put in chuck roast. Have any of you tried using rabbit meat? My grandma did when I was younger and it was good.

Reading this thread makes brings me back to Sunday at Grandma Jo's.

people cook their meat balls differently. all are fine.

I did have rabbit in the sauce a few times. Loved it.

but the kids have issues with it.. so I haven't had it in a long time.

I'm also Italian, all my grandparents came from the old country. You're recipe looks right on, especially the slow simmer cooking. My mother used to have it on the burner for hours, it was torture on the stomache, and our friends used to wander over, attracted by the aroma.

Did you ever notice that after the sauce is made, and the excess is refridgerated or frozen for future consumption, it seems to get even tastier?

And as far as rabbit, if you are a true Italian, I'm sure you witnessed your momma pull things out of the gravy like brains, toungue, and other stuff we don't even want to think about. But boy the flavor!!!

There is one MUST thing that everyone missed, a loaf of fresh Italian bread on the counter for dipping!!!! Boy I sure miss my momma and grandma!!

anyone ever try a hunk of pork roast ( par boiled first ) in your sauce ?

get the kind that is already tied with string in the store and throw it in... when its cooked and starts falling apart just pull it out and serve it on the side. yummy.

lol, i love mushrooms but my son says its like eating ears. oh well shrooms are not for sauce ( gravy in my family ) but yummy in garlic butter with steak!

<y son says its like eating ears.

I had to smile when I read that,it reminded me of a time when my son was four or five.

I cooked something(I can't even remember what)it had whole mushroom caps in it .

About thirty seconds after I served it to him he started balling his eye's out screaming in sheer terror.

He really scared me to near death hearing the terror in his voice, I was at the sink and came running thinking something awfull had happened while I wasn't looking.

He swore that they weren't mushrooms that they were eye balls and that one looked at him.

I could not convince him otherwise and it took a good half hour before I could get him to calm down,but that wasn't untill I cleared the table and threw the eyeball food away.

I don't think I have ever been so scared in my life than when he cried out in pure terror that evening.

Did you ever notice that after the sauce is made, and the excess is refridgerated or frozen for future consumption, it seems to get even tastier?

And as far as rabbit, if you are a true Italian, I'm sure you witnessed your momma pull things out of the gravy like brains, toungue, and other stuff we don't even want to think about. But boy the flavor!!!

now your talking. I still do freeze my extra..

I have frozen the extra, but there usually isn't any left over. I generally cook for just 3 of us, but have to make enough for 8. My husband eats an entire pound of pasta by himself, son is close on his heels. And when the pasta runs out, they sit there sopping up the sauce with crusty bread until its usually all gone. We usually end up with sausage and meatballs left over and those get turned into hoagies the next day.

Y'all guys made me hungry so I made some tonight and served it on penne....I love making my own sauce. Crushed tomatos, tomato paste, italian sausage, oregano, basil, garlic, tad bit of onion and I always add a little cream at the end to finish the sauce. Absolutely excellent.

If you don't pronounce "r's" it would be "gindas". :P

Okay, I didn't elaborate. We only drop the r's on the end of a word. We pak our caas outside the pizza place, and go in and buy a meatball grinda. It's pretty close to a Boston accent, but much uglier. Just watch a Cheers rerun

anyone ever try a hunk of pork roast ( par boiled first ) in your sauce ?

get the kind that is already tied with string in the store and throw it in... when its cooked and starts falling apart just pull it out and serve it on the side. yummy.

Braciole!!

Braciole!!

I haven't thought about Braciole in years.

Grandma used to make it all the time God rest her soul.

Do you know how to make it? I remember bit's and pieces but not enough.

Here's what I remember. Pound the life out of a butterfly steak to tenderize.

Place hot peppers & garlic in it,roll it up, tie it with twine, then brown in a fry pan with a splash of olive oil and finish in the sauce.